• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Newbie here and just have a few questions.

Hi Everyone!

I'm totally new here and as the title states I have a few questions.

1)  If I'm just stacking for the silver and gold content  is there any reason why I would stear off the path from just buying UK Britannia coins as Im from UK and I no these are CGT exempt?  and If anyone can recommend me any other UK CGT exempt bullion that would be appreciated.

2) apart from Chards and Bullionbypost would anyone recommend other reputable UK billion dealers (for price).

3) Also any recommendations for a portable digital weighing scales and a gold and silver tester?

4)when the time comes to sell any of your precious metals  where are the best please to get the best price (this is for the future).

I would appreciate any help of advice anyone can also share as Im totally new to this.

Thanks In Advance everyone :)

Edited by Borosniper77

• Founder & Administrator
3 minutes ago, Borosniper77 said:

2) apart from Chards and Bullionbypost would anyone recommend other reputable UK billion dealers (for price).

You may wish to check out the dealer directory here: 

https://www.thesilverforum.com/dealerdirectory/

It would also be a good idea to search the forum for any company in the Dealer Directory, as others may have discussed a dealer (good or bad) in a forum topic and may not have left a feedback for the company in the dealer directory. So it is good to do as much research as possible, the Dealer Directory should give you a start to some companies you can look into :) 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

this place is great for getting decent prices on both gold and silver, you just need to be quick sometimes as its a case of 'you snooze, you lose' but my dealers i generally buy from are Silver Trader (not currently taking on new customers) and Bleyer... i've bought from Bullion by Post in the past but tend to get better prices off here tbh ... you just need to keep checking the sales section but having silver membership or above gives to immediate access to listings.... not promoting membership in case you're not ready for it but it does help as the best sales deals go quick... all of the sales on here a based on trust and ive not had any issues with anyone... 

I got my weighing scales off amazon (royal mint's are a bit expensive) and my sliding tester off ebay for silver testing

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

12 minutes ago, Borosniper77 said:

)  If I'm just stacking for the silver and gold content  is there any reason why I would stear off the path from just buying UK Britannia coins as Im from UK and I no these are CGT exempt?  and If anyone can recommend me any other UK CGT exempt bullion that would be appreciated.

Welcome to the Forum!

CGT Exemption only becomes interesting when you are taking a considerable profit / building a very sizeable stack. I'm not a UK resident but if I recall correctly, the threshold of CGT exemption in general is about 10K pounds per year. This means that you'd have to have over 10K pounds ''profit'' before you get slapped with CGT and this resets annually. A common way around this is if you indeed have such amount of precious metals is to sell off no more than that 10K threshold in profit within the same (fiscal) year. 

If you are not going to be close to that number, I would recommend getting whatever you want as long as it suits your strategy and budget. If you are going to be close to that number, you should definitely consider CGT exempt coins, so Brits and Sov's are your go-to items in that regard, but I'm relatively sure that any UK (pound) denominated coin is CGT exempt.

22 minutes ago, Borosniper77 said:

4)when the time comes to sell any of your precious metals  where are the best please to get the best price (this is for the future).

When it comes to selling, it depends on what you are selling on how easy it is to sell and where best to sell it. In my experience, larger items (for example bullion 1oz gold coins/bars) are easier to sell (back) to dealers than they are on second hand market unless you have a good trading reputation. You may not get the best price but you will be able to liquidate. Smaller items trade here on the forum all the time - have a look at the trading section and you'll see loads of 1oz silver coins and smaller gold pieces like 1/10oz, 1/4oz / sov's trade frequently.

I think you should answer the question ''where can I sell this when I want to sell it'' before making the majority of your purchases. Hopefully you'll never be forced to sell by any external factor other than your own decision, but if something does happen and you need to liquidate, it will be beneficial to have an idea and understanding of how you are going to liquidate your metals. In that regard, it's again advisable to obtain items like sovereigns or brits, especially in the UK, because they are well recognized and desired. It's easier to liquidate 2 bullions sov's than a 1/2oz gold coin (generally speaking).

Hope that helps and enjoy the journey, stacking metals really is a rewarding (and sometimes frustrating) hobby!

30 minutes ago, Borosniper77 said:

Hi Everyone!

I'm totally new here and as the title states I have a few questions.

1)  If I'm just stacking for the silver and gold content  is there any reason why I would stear off the path from just buying UK Britannia coins as Im from UK and I no these are CGT exempt?  and If anyone can recommend me any other UK CGT exempt bullion that would be appreciated.

3) Also any recommendations for a portable digital weighing scales and a gold and silver tester?

I would appreciate any help of advice anyone can also share as Im totally new to this.

Thanks In Advance everyone :)

I recently wrote / re-wrote a Newbie advice page:

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/newbies-investment-guide/1008

You should find it impartial and hype-free.

Feedback and suggestions more than welcome.

P.S. I  can recommend a good dealer! 🙂

Chards

6 minutes ago, Borosniper77 said:

Thank Gordy,  I will check out the Silver access you are on about.  I only going to buy as and when I have some cash to do so so I wont be a big spender I thought I just need to start  little lol.

My mate has got into silver recently after spying my treasure chest one day when he visited, he relies on me to source the bloody things for him but he's on a budget too, do what you feel is comfy but unlike him who doesnt do any research i'd do loads and it may take up some time it will help you if you decide to go away from the bullion and try some of the pretty shiny ones... its hard not to hit that send button when you spy a nice coin... 

Good questions, and answers. Im a nooby too.

One question, if I can add to the ones the OP asked'

Small coins, Id like to buy lots of small 1/4 stuff just to fill a swag bag for fun. When Might I find these ?  In the sellers forum here ? or ? 

17 hours ago, Russell said:

Hi and welcome to the Forum.  Gold and Silver crashing today lets hope it brings down premiums so we can add to pur stacks 🙂

Lower spot prices are unlikely to cause lower premiums. Most TSF members probably suspect the opposite, although there should not be much effect on premiums, except that caused by increased demand.

I wrote a longish post about this recently.

Chards

1 hour ago, Atomic47 said:

Small coins, Id like to buy lots of small 1/4 stuff just to fill a swag bag for fun. When Might I find these ?  In the sellers forum here ? or ? 

if you're looking for 1/4 silver ones Bleyer have a boat load... just depends on what you want to pay for them

2 hours ago, Atomic47 said:

I assume by "small 1/4 stuff", you are talking about gold, rather than silver, or even platinum or palladium. 

Another member possibly thinks you mean silver. 

In my opinion, nobody in their right mind would buy quarter ounce silver coins for investment bearing in mind their very high % premiums. They are more of a "collectable".

I just referred someone else to this old page I wrote about 20 years ago:

https://taxfreegold.co.uk/fractionalbullioncoins.html

Although I also just corrected a typo, and added a new paragraph, which says:

Gold Sovereigns
British gold sovereigns are the closest thing to quarter ounce gold coins. Their gross weight is more than a quarter of a troy ounce, which their actual gold content is only slightly less at 0.2353544 troy ounces. Gold sovereigns have a history dating back to 1489, or 1817 for "modern sovereigns", and are often available at a premium similar to, and sometimes less than, modern quarter ounce bullion coins, meaning any numismatic premium is being thrown in for nothing.

When we have them in stock, this is usually a good deal:

https://www.chards.co.uk/0.25-ounce-gold-bullion-coin-pre-owned/744

Chards

4 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I assume by "small 1/4 stuff", you are talking about gold, rather than silver, or even platinum or palladium. 

Another member possibly thinks you mean silver. 

In my opinion, nobody in their right mind would buy quarter ounce silver coins for investment bearing in mind their very high % premiums. They are more of a "collectable".

I just referred someone else to this old page I wrote about 20 years ago:

https://taxfreegold.co.uk/fractionalbullioncoins.html

Although I also just corrected a typo, and added a new paragraph, which says:

Gold Sovereigns
British gold sovereigns are the closest thing to quarter ounce gold coins. Their gross weight is more than a quarter of a troy ounce, which their actual gold content is only slightly less at 0.2353544 troy ounces. Gold sovereigns have a history dating back to 1489, or 1817 for "modern sovereigns", and are often available at a premium similar to, and sometimes less than, modern quarter ounce bullion coins, meaning any numismatic premium is being thrown in for nothing.

When we have them in stock, this is usually a good deal:

https://www.chards.co.uk/0.25-ounce-gold-bullion-coin-pre-owned/744

yeah i assumed the 'for fun, to fill a swag bag' meant he wasn't going to fill it with gold!! 😂

7 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I can assure you that doing it with gold is much more fun than using silver!...

...and it's such a nice colour. 🙂

indeed, then i could definitely get dressed up as Blackbeard....