• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold 1oz coins

Good evening.

I have got a little cash and want to buy a 1oz gold coin.

Basically wanted some advice..

● what would be the best coin to buy

●I'm in the UK, I'm always hearing that I should buy the coins of the country I'm in.

● I'm looking at bullion-proofs not just from in the UK but from around the world.

●what would you buy if you had the funds to buy a 1oz gold coin right now.

Many thanks in advance for your opinions.

regards....

I'm new so not sure if this is a bullion proof, but it was my first gold purchase. Beautiful coin, and I believe limited mintage to 5000 (don't quote me on that). 

https://www.gold.co.uk/gold-coins/gold-myths-legends/1oz-robin-hood-gold/

But the QB Completer is beautiful too:

https://www.chards.co.uk/2021-queens-beasts-completer-one-oz-gold-bullion-coin/14554

Edited by leotsend

I would think of what is the purpose of the coin and buy the coin that is closest to matching that

purpose.

considerations include

does it need to be cgt free?

bullion is usually lowest premium over spot but coins with some numismatic value may increase

their premium over spot if you can time when to sell your coin. bullion is usually better as emergency

coins when you are forced to sell at short notice. numismatic requires coin specific research.

if in doubt, sovereigns are good for many scenarios.

HH

What the best coin is, depends on the purpose.

For one ounce there is no reason to buy a Britannia for tax reasons (unless there is a hyper inflation and the tax rates lag behind. Currently, the  net gain tax (difference between purchase and selling) has an allowance of well over 10K, not sure about the exact figure right now).

However, Britannias are still the most liquid one ounce coins in the UK. This being said, I'm pretty sure any dealer would buy any of the most common one ounce coins world wide, which are, apart from the Britannia, the Krugerrand, the Maple, the Kangaroo, the Philharmonic, the American Eagle, the Buffalo and probably also the Chinese Panda. Not necessarily in this order.

All but the Krugerrand and the Eagle are pure gold, so if you want the most yellow, avoid them, if you want to be able to handle your coin, buy one of them as their copper makes them a little less soft and more suitable for handling.

Apart from the named coins, there are plenty other ones that are less common but might be more appealing, optically.

Personally, right now, I would buy a Krugerrand.

Edited by silenceissilver

15 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

1oz Gold bullion queens beast  as many as you can afford to buy.

Definitely a good choice for 1oz bullion going forward into the months and years ahead the premiums could carry on rising as dealer stocks dry up

They have the added interest and bonus of being a set of ten + completer medal to collect 🙂

I'd get a 1oz gold bullion completer.

Once they sell out they should go up a few points.

Everything else will likely stay about the same.

Having said that the 2021 kangaroo is the nicest of the rest of the bunch to hold and look at.

Photos don't do them justice as they are high relief and reflective.

IMG_0003.jpg.5ee209fce62296dc9872608df16713ff.jpg

Edited by 27carrots

If i was only going to hold one 1 oz gold coin it would be Queens Beast Completer. Absolute stunning coin .  Obviously that would have to be the bullion as the proof would be mega expensive .

If I was buying a 1oz gold coin now it would have to be the Queens Beasts completer coin.

I haven't looked recently but reading on here the Royal Mint don't have these available any more. Which suggest they've already stopped minting them. As far as I'm aware they're available from Chards to pre order and I know Sharps Pixley also have them in stock.

This is of course my opinion but I can see these selling for a premium in future over a standard Kruggerand or a standard Britannia.

I've already bought one, but if I hadn't, then I'd look at buying / negotiating on the NGC graded proof 1 oz gold Griffin on Ebay.

There is a PF69 and 4 x PF70's!

Now, I believe someone had the idea of buying up multiple Griffin's, thinking they'd be able to sell them quickly, but maybe misread the market and priced a little high at this early stage in its numismatic journey.

You could ask if the PF69 (at £2.5k) was conserved and if not, you could send this off for conservation / restoration and grading at either NGC or PCGS in the hope of achieving a 70.

Or negotiate the price on a PF70 one and to help with the negotiation, explain that you're planning to send it off to PCGS and they may not grade it a 70?

You could pay a base price and if it comes back a 70, pay the difference on what you negotiate?

If not the Griffin, I'd go for the Greyhound graded with NGC at a PF69 on Ebay and again, do the same negotiation technique with grading at PCGS.

Plus, make sure they have the COA, as this is proof of the coins rarity.

Good luck with whatever you choose! 😁

P.s. a PF69 / PR69 grade is still a great result, as the imperfections are only visible under magnification (apparently)! 😊

Edited by GoldenGriffin

1 hour ago, CollectorNo1 said:

Hi and thanks for the info

Can I ask why the Griffin out of them all...I was a bit late to the game of the Queen's beasts... I only have the 2oz greyhound.

Regards.

Happy to provide my thoughts.

The Griffin is one of my favourites and the Greyhound isn't too far behind.

"The protector of gold", I believe the RM said on their website when it was first released. 

It has great presence on the coin and it's one of the Queen's Beasts... there are / have been a lot of coins coming out and it can be very distracting, but I believe we're going to see these QB's in huge demand when bullish signals for gold keep increasing and more of the public start to wake up and smell the Griffin! 😅

This one is protecting my gold... 😆

20210202_174853.jpg

Edited by GoldenGriffin

Yeah...been keeping an eye on the gold spot price...atm in my favour..but as we all know can change in hours...gonna gamble and wait a bit longer....maybe be lucky..maybe not....shame the bullion dealers don't reflect the spot price going south in there prices........

11 hours ago, CollectorNo1 said:

Yeah...been keeping an eye on the gold spot price...atm in my favour..but as we all know can change in hours...gonna gamble and wait a bit longer....maybe be lucky..maybe not....shame the bullion dealers don't reflect the spot price going south in there prices........

Yeah, good call 🙂