• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

NGC / NCS Conservation results

• SilverMike changed the title to NGC / NCS Conservation results
29 minutes ago, Chorlton said:

That is an excellent result !

Do you mind confirming what grade it got.

Thank you, yes sure, It went from Cameo to Ultra Cameo on a 65. I had hoped it might tip onto a 66 but that hairline behind the kings head kept it back I think. I think it should always have been a UC. My main reason for conservation in this case was to improve the eye appeal and I was very happy

1 minute ago, SilverMike said:

Thank you, yes sure, It went from Cameo to Ultra Cameo on a 65. I had hoped it might tip onto a 66 but that hairline behind the kings head kept it back I think. I think it should always have been a UC. My main reason for conservation in this case was to improve the eye appeal and I was very happy

I agree with you Mike, if it was not for that scratch it would have been a 66 for sure. 

1 hour ago, pricha said:

Sorry for my ignorance , but we are told never to clean coins, so what method exactly do they use to produce this result ?

We are and we shouldn’t. NCS methods are a trade secret, but I understand there are various legitimate processes to restore a coin that don't damage or degrade its value, but one for the experts especially on valuable coins.

i have had proofs that have suffered from hazing where the coin is dull and the fields no longer reflective (but good underneath), also coins that have dust and grime and also water marks (the later was a 1989 set I bought that had been sat in a box in a damp leaking shed and the coins looked terrible pre conservation - photos attached), they restored beautifully, 3 out of 4 of the coins got 70’s. The box naturally was in the bin.

B0505AB7-4225-481E-867C-989FC9F26DED.jpeg

02AAE6F1-F1AE-4977-A18E-E9168A2EA799.jpeg

Very nice. That looks like an excellent result. I didn't know that such services were readily available. How much does it cost?

I'm not familiar with that coin. Do they not have years, or is the year encoded in some of those letters? What's the composition here – pure gold or Crown gold? I didn't know that gold could have that kind of tarnish, or whatever we'd call the discoloration in the Before photos.

2 hours ago, Bimetallic said:

Very nice. That looks like an excellent result. I didn't know that such services were readily available. How much does it cost?

I'm not familiar with that coin. Do they not have years, or is the year encoded in some of those letters? What's the composition here – pure gold or Crown gold? I didn't know that gold could have that kind of tarnish, or whatever we'd call the discoloration in the Before photos.

I can only comment on the NGC conservation costs, PCGS also offer a similar service if you grade with them. with NGC its depends on what tier you submit at, Modern (from 1965 with a value less than £1500) then its about £12, Gold (up to £2,500) about £25. If the insured value is above that then it’s 4% of its value.

its an 1821 proof half sovereign, the date is on the reverse around the edge between about 5o’clock and 3o’clock

its a sovereign so it .917 gold, alloyed with .083 copper / others. It’s the presence of the copper that gives rise to the marks you see in the un-conserved version, “Copper Spot”

Fantastic coin, made me jealous as soon as i saw it..

The first thing that jumped out at me are the scratches in the field to the left of 'Brit...' - virtually unseen in the 'before' pic but quite obvious in the 'after'....

I like the bloom, marks and toning on older coins personally but appreciate that for some, the grade is everything.