• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Buying Silver Post Brexit

Animaru

Hi all!

I only started stacking/ collecting last year, but I was mostly purchasing from Europe for the lack of VAT. I completely stopped at the start of this year, and I have just come back in the hope that things would settle down a little. However, things seem even worse now! 

Basically, I was wondering whether there is some economical way to buy silver anymore? 

I was also wondering whether VAT is already applied on websites like ebay, as these costs seem very extreme as well?

I'm genuinely considering just switching to gold, but is obviously much more expensive to get into.

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

I am newer to silver than you,about 3 months in,and already coming to the conclusion that gold may be the way forward to be honest, I will continue to collect silver even at the current premiums ect but not on a scale I would like sadly, and from watching sales on line,it would seem sovs or fractional gokd are possibly even more fluid than silver should the need to sell arise. 

But as I say,I am a total novice,I love both metals and feel it wise to have a percentage of both to hand,but it feels like silver is in a bubble that is too controlled and could loose ground very quickly when it suits the banks/ paper markets,taking the premiums with it ( at which point I will be all in again lol)

2 hours ago, Captinjack said:

But as I say,I am a total novice,I love both metals and feel it wise to have a percentage of both to hand,but it feels like silver is in a bubble that is too controlled and could loose ground very quickly when it suits the banks/ paper markets,taking the premiums with it ( at which point I will be all in again lol)

As a seasoned stacker I agree with your comment that silver is in a bubble and the price is manipulated but in my world the price of silver is marked down and not high so once the bubble bursts silver should rise in price not fall. Gold on the other hand has had a good run of late and people panicked into gold believing the end of the world was imminent - think about the doomsday folks saying leaving the EU would sink the ship - so maybe gold is due a correction downwards.
Problem is nobody knows and regardless of "expert" advice the jury is out.

I'm new to the scene, so I'm kind of just looking around to buy the few bits and bobs here and there.

I suppose when you buy on a monthly basis, the ups and downs will balance what you have paid for in the longer run. I guess it just depends on what your individual strategy is

1 hour ago, Pete said:

As a seasoned stacker I agree with your comment that silver is in a bubble and the price is manipulated but in my world the price of silver is marked down and not high so once the bubble bursts silver should rise in price not fall. Gold on the other hand has had a good run of late and people panicked into gold believing the end of the world was imminent - think about the doomsday folks saying leaving the EU would sink the ship - so maybe gold is due a correction downwards.
Problem is nobody knows and regardless of "expert" advice the jury is out.

I have to agree with all of that lol,it really is confusing as to what way it will go,and lots of vested interests it would seem trying to shout the loudest to sway people either way.

I think that is one of the reasons I am still collecting silver,but looking at gold as well,at least I am enjoying a new hobby in the mean time🤣 and unlike most hobbies it may not cost me money in the long run  (that's what I keep telling myself anyway 😉)

The way i see things is this: 1) Prices move up, down and sideways with people making and loosing a lot of money trying to predict patterns 2) Spend what you are comfortable with and don't chase prices 3) Having a little bit outside the fiat system gives you options but having skills, health and peace of mind are as important.