• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

New coins coming soon.

5 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Yup. As Paul says, it’s the 2009 Kew Gardens released for circulation that has one of the lowest mintages of circulation coins.

It's crazy isn't it. The mintage was 210,000, which seems like a large number - but compared with the rest I guess it isn't, and the relatively low mintage is exacerbated by people keeping hold of them when they find one, thus making them even rarer in the wild. You'd be extremely lucky to find one today even if you sifted through dozens of big bags of 50ps from a bank.

Here's an eBay auction for a circulated one that sold for £160, which seems even crazier when you can get uncirculated ones for less! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kew-Gardens-50p-Original-Genuine-Circulated-great-condition-2009-Rare-/403222335467

3 hours ago, Altitudes said:

For anyone interested the lunar edge Britannia from Trial of the Pyx is available again.

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/trial-of-the-pyx/Britannia-Lunar-Edge-Year-of-the-Pig-2019-UK-1oz-Silver-Bullion-Coin/

Wow - it is STILL available! I guess because it does not show on the website - you can only really see it by clicking that link! 

2 hours ago, westminstrel said:

@Altitudes

Yup. As Paul says, it’s the 2009 Kew Gardens released for circulation that has one of the lowest mintages of circulation coins.

Strangely (or maybe shrewdly!) the RM released a silver proof version again in 2019, and I guess people just automatically got on the Kew Gardens bandwagon thinking it would become sought after too. In reality, the 2019 silver proof Kew Gardens is no rarer than any other RM silver proof coin. 

A 2019 PF70 sold in the recent coin cabinet auction for £675.00 too. 

A.

47 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

A 2019 PF70 sold in the recent coin cabinet auction for £675.00 too. 

A.

Yes, similar price as a PF70 Queen’s Beasts 2oz Completer silver proof.

I guess all I was saying is the 2019 Kew Gardens silver proof is not particularly rare compared to other silver proofs - it’s just desirable to those who collect 50ps.

Edited by westminstrel

7 hours ago, Altitudes said:

For anyone interested the lunar edge Britannia from Trial of the Pyx is available again.

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/trial-of-the-pyx/Britannia-Lunar-Edge-Year-of-the-Pig-2019-UK-1oz-Silver-Bullion-Coin/

Are they producing an older britannia now?, are they adjusting the mint on 2019 brits so they can make more?, is that even legal?

2 minutes ago, DarkChameleon said:

Are they producing an older britannia now?, are they adjusting the mint on 2019 brits so they can make more?, is that even legal?

As it says on that page: "A 2019-dated silver coin that was inspected at the 2020 Trial of the Pyx"

See https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/trial-of-the-pyx/ for more information about that process.

2021 South Africa Big Five II  Elephant

5 Oz - Proof - Mintage 500 Silver / 50 for gold

1 kilo - Proof - Mintage 100 Silver / 10 for gold

ibsud21155_1.thumb.jpg.5e4c040c163249c2da937666b8df5841.jpgibsud21155_2.thumb.jpg.335afe85fa9c9970f26c98f097216701.jpg

ibsud21163_2.thumb.jpg.d3902481f00005ef28ebd12efc9b666c.jpgiksud12221_2.thumb.jpg.e8f50a2808d9bad4bcd73ceb51c7db3e.jpg

2022 South Africa - Krugerrand proof (release date 20.10.2021)

2 Oz - Mintage 400

iksud12211_1.thumb.jpg.54976901f63ff0a97abf04181189ab64.jpg

1 Oz - Mintage 1000

iksud12209_1.thumb.jpg.d350bf0c30154f42f0fa4259801a7dec.jpg

iksud12209_2.thumb.jpg.1b5ba3f50da3b19a6bb4994ed31b43fe.jpg

Edited by daca

29 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Great stuff, always love the snowman! :D

Does anyone know when he gold proof 50ps went up to £1065? Is this the first release at that price?

Go on to Westminster coins..they are asking £1250.00 and they get them from the RM....😳😳😳😳😲

1 hour ago, CollectorNo1 said:

Go on to Westminster coins..they are asking £1250.00 and they get them from the RM....😳😳😳😳😲

That's the 'collector' price for some of these more desirable gold 50ps (in PF70 or FDC) imo, but not at release! I get that these are very limited and largely only for the 'money no object' crowd now we're onto issue 4 of an uncirculated coin but it's a lot...

The last time I looked at one from the Mint I believe it was something like £995, so wonder when new releases broke the £1k mark - ?

1 hour ago, kimchi said:

Great stuff, always love the snowman! :D

Does anyone know when he gold proof 50ps went up to £1065? Is this the first release at that price?

I think it was last year when the price of gold hit the record high.  I am sure the Decimal Day gold 50p was about £1,150 (and the SOTD was about £1,250 - still in stock at the Royal Mint for £1,285!), and then prices came down for new releases to the current £1,065.