• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Fed up with eBay

pricha

2 hours ago, Richym99 said:

Last coin I bought from the US, I looked at the dealers name  and found their website online. Dealt with them over the phone. 

Obviously only works with bullion dealers with recognisable businesses, but worked for me.  

There are some quality dealers over here I've used like apmex, bold, etc...if you need a list of trusted ones ill be happy to make a list of my dealers who have never let me down.

On 03/06/2021 at 12:19, SidS said:

The sheer number of fakes and 'repro' coins on eBay has exploded in number over the past three years and the scary thing is they are getting better and better. Even with years of numismatic experience behind me, the improvement of quality has made it hard to tell from the pictures whether something is genuine or not.

I collect silver chibis from the nz mint and as the expensive ones come out so do the copies,when a coin jumps from $100 to $300 it can take as little as a couple of weeks and then the Chinese fake are out there,some admitting to being plated 5% silver but most no information to let the buyer know they're fake...the only way to be sure is to buy from the nz mint and have the box with the holographic serial number,they are now selling premium chibis with their own hard plastic case with a print out of the number of the coin but although they are the first 200 of a 2000 limited mintage the cost is twice the other coins without it, as a collector of course I had to buy the two new type and hate myself...like we all do when we know we over payed for a coin but it is what it is...lol.

3 minutes ago, darkninja1985 said:

Found this little listing on eBay, looks too good to be true

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255021253399?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1431.l2649

What's peoples thoughts on this listing?

Save yourself some grief and leave it alone, clearly fake.

Unless you’re able to test I’d never buy a bar off eBay, there’s more fake than genuine.

@darkninja1985

Both items found on demolished site. 

Items have been weighed and magnet tested. 

Not 100% sure they are genuine.”

Please read as:

“I’m 99% sure they’re fake but im going to try my luck and see if I can catch a sucker”

Edited by Shep

just closed my eBay account after 15 years of trading successfully and 100% positive feedback running into the thousands 

eBay is finished ! and the sooner it ceases to trade the better in IMHO.

It has been going down the sink for years with their policy of favouring scamming / cheating buyers buyers over good solid sellers with long histories of trading on their platform in EVERY single dispute over a sale, be that a real dispute or something dreamt up by the buyer to get items for free

and their policy of allowing the sale of fake goods and counterfeit items to be listed every day of the week worldwide.

the new managed payments was the final nail in the coffin as far as I was  concerned 

eBay's loss not mine ! there's plenty other platform's to sell on 

what was a super platform to buy and sell on has in recent times become a cesspit of lowlife scamming buyers and sellers of fake stuff all done with eBays blessing .

15 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

the new managed payments was the final nail in the coffin as far as I was  concerned 

I sell a little on eBay but since the managed payment system was fully introduced I have avoided it to see where the dust settles.

If I may, the fact that it’s a cesspit aside, why has managed payments specifically made using eBay untenable for you?

(Not a loaded question, just asking purely out of curiosity and for the fact I don’t fully understand the negative connotations of using this system).

I haven't gone near ebay either since the tried to force me onto Managed Payments. 

For me, the fact that I am forced to give eBay access to my bank account was the final straw. They make great pay in how much less we pay in fees, but what they can give, they can also take away. If someone puts in a dispute, claiming a coin you sold them was fake or wasn't received, the fear is that they refund the buyer and raid your bank account to reimburse themselves. 

None of the utility companies have access to my bank account to take variable amounts out by direbt debit. I'm sure as hell not willing to let a company with as dubious ethics as eBay do so.    

3 minutes ago, Richym99 said:

I haven't gone near ebay either since the tried to force me onto Managed Payments. 

For me, the fact that I am forced to give eBay access to my bank account was the final straw. They make great pay in how much less we pay in fees, but what they can give, they can also take away. If someone puts in a dispute, claiming a coin you sold them was fake or wasn't received, the fear is that they refund the buyer and raid your bank account to reimburse themselves. 

None of the utility companies have access to my bank account to take variable amounts out by direbt debit. I'm sure as hell not willing to let a company with as dubious ethics as eBay do so.    

I totally agree, but gave them details for an a/c which I no longer use and only has a few pounds in it, but I have not yet closed it ........... 😄

Since it never has funds, they would be hard pressed to get anything, as I have no overdraft facility on any of my bank a/c's .......

The fact the idiots sold Paypal which now is much, much more valuable than them is a good indication of their management quality IMO.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

24 minutes ago, Richym99 said:

It makes you think. About a year ago i noticed £400 plus left my paypal account. Apparently someone who bought a coin from me months before that, all of a sudden said it never arrived. Not sure how that happened as i thought you had to make a claim within 30 days.  Anyway it was all solved after a day or as i had kept the receipt for Special Delivery . My point is, if that money had left my bank account, as it would surely do under the new managed payments then you'd be talking about possible overdrafts and missed direct debits for some. Not good. 

10 hours ago, Shep said:

@darkninja1985

Both items found on demolished site. 

Items have been weighed and magnet tested. 

Not 100% sure they are genuine.”

Please read as:

“I’m 99% sure they’re fake but im going to try my luck and see if I can catch a sucker”

I agree with the translation, except more likely 100%.

But one of the worst aspects, as ever, is ebay don't seem to care as long as they get their fees.

Chards

3 hours ago, DBCooper said:

eBay is finished !

I doubt it.  Maybe for a lot of individuals but not for businesses.  I’ve been a business seller on ebay for 12 years and there’s still plenty of life left in it yet.  I know of many other businesses that are doing hundreds of sales a day and more on eBay.

And most business sellers welcome managed payments.  I certainly do as it’s makes bookkeeping that little bit easier having the sales and payments under one roof.  That’s how’s it’s always been for Amazon and Etsy.

I’ve seen people saying ‘eBay is finished’ time and time again over the years, usually when they make a change and some people don’t like it.  But for every seller that leaves, there’s multiples more who take their place.

In fact it’s quite good as it shakes the tree of the smaller sellers who come along and undercut you because they don’t have to worry about VAT, don’t have the same overheads and they don’t mind making pennies per sale.

Edited by Goldhooked

2 hours ago, Shep said:

I sell a little on eBay but since the managed payment system was fully introduced I have avoided it to see where the dust settles.

If I may, the fact that it’s a cesspit aside, why has managed payments specifically made using eBay untenable for you?

(Not a loaded question, just asking purely out of curiosity and for the fact I don’t fully understand the negative connotations of using this system).

I've been fighting ebay for three weeks now to get my MP off the ground, opened a new account, fail, sent them a statement with all info on it, fail, threatened them with litigation, nothing...im thinking 1st dibs is looking more likely by the day.

12 hours ago, darkninja1985 said:

Found this little listing on eBay, looks too good to be true

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255021253399?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1431.l2649

What's peoples thoughts on this listing?

i don't know if you can tell fake gold by just looking at it, but the bars look quite brassy to me.

the bidding has gone up to £50.

w.r.t. managed payments: they could have given sellers a slightly better deal and waive/reduce the payment processing fees!

Because i was refunded after all was sorted with the clown who never sent the coin , i have been left with £79 credit in my paypal Credit card. I can't withdraw the money and when i tired to use it to buy something on eBay they refused paypal credit. So the money is stuck there at the moment and i can't get at it. 

9 minutes ago, pricha said:

Because i was refunded after all was sorted with the clown who never sent the coin , i have been left with £79 credit in my paypal Credit card. I can't withdraw the money and when i tired to use it to buy something on eBay they refused paypal credit. So the money is stuck there at the moment and i can't get at it. 

Go through the desktop rather than mobile system and you should be able to select credit. Just need to do it directly via PayPal rather than via EBay.

18 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Go through the desktop rather than mobile system and you should be able to select credit. Just need to do it directly via PayPal rather than via EBay.

Thanks, i'll give it a go 

No it's not doing anything. Reading posts it seems like they have put some sort of lock on it that could take 5 to 15 days to release . I'll close my paypal account once i get my money out. Seems no point in having it now. I used to like the 4 months interest free for spontaneous buys.

21 hours ago, Shep said:

Specifically the managed payments system now means that because eBay have direct access one of your bank accounts they can take any amount out of that bank account anytime they want without informing you they are going to take money out  

this was NOT the case with PayPal as you could withdraw money out of PayPal the second it hit the account if you had good positive feedback. and if a genuine dispute happened down the line  you could then re fund your  PayPal account  and refund the buyer if needed , something I have happily done on the few occasions a buyer justifiably needed a refund 

so Now with the only option as managed payments. say you sell a high value  item on eBay, a gold coin, a silver bar, a car or watch in fact anything at all 

the buyer gets the item sent to them while eBay holds the payment to the seller a few days. then later after eBay has had the interest on the money from the sale  for 48 hrs or so, they drop it into your bank account and all seems good.  Then the buyer says a couple of weeks/ a month later.  oh the item never turned up or its not as they thought. they don't want it blah blah blah  

eBay always side with the buyer in any dispute real or imagined ! So  eBay then dip back into your bank account and refund the buyer without even needing to inform you.

Possible ( highly likely )end result is buyer has said item and your cash and you have a bank account balance that's minus the funds from the sale without eBay even having to inform you they have deducted funds from your account.

For me personally its a no thank you even with a dedicated bank account set up for managed payments

hence my Ebay account being closed..

like I said a personal thing but im done with eBay due to this

Regards 

DB 

I use a a bank account with no overdraft for EBay.  I always keep the account at zero so there is no monkey business.

eBay is a better proposition as a buyer than a seller by some margin.  

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

On 20/06/2021 at 14:37, SidS said:

I might be wrong but some other retailers accept PayPal. I've used it many times outside of eBay, so perhaps the money isn't stuck in limbo.

Thanks, a mate mentioned this , but to be honest i don't really buy anything other than coins LOL .  My guess is that it has been frozen and won't work. I don't want to buy a load of stuff i don't need just to get my moneys worth back.