• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Fed up with eBay

pricha

39 minutes ago, Spark268 said:

...plus unlimited dipping into your bank account for charges they think you owe them !

This is why I point blank refused to sign up to the new system. Having card/bank details with PayPal is one thing (not great if the PayPal account gets compromised), but giving eBay direct access to my bank account, basically a signed blank cheque, I'm not happy with that. At least with PayPal I had to authorise the payment by signing in and actually clicking 'pay' for each transaction.

My ebay got compromised about two years ago (easy to guess password - and hardly used them in over 10 years) and a 2nd paypal account was set up to buy overpriced junk for an address in Derby and clean out my account. Luckily this happened just before payday so only had about £100 in there and I managed to get it all back. Now I keep all my money in a second account and just transfer to my main account when I need to pay for something. You can see why they have to give buyers the benefit of the doubt when it comes to payment disputes though. It was obvious the seller was the scammer because they weren't angry when I told them I didn't order the stuff they "already sent out".

Edited by 27carrots

Sadly just had my 1st fakes,and yep ebay seller,I always use credit card so getting money back is OK but sad to see so many scammers ...will be overthinking any further purchases on ebay from now on,and actually find it cheaper from dealers on most occasions. 

And on here for old date pandas ect.

The sheer number of fakes and 'repro' coins on eBay has exploded in number over the past three years and the scary thing is they are getting better and better. Even with years of numismatic experience behind me, the improvement of quality has made it hard to tell from the pictures whether something is genuine or not.

Telepon22 now has 4 negative feedbacks.  Probably a well thought out scam , or maybe the seller has just dropped down dead and his family know nothing about his eBay transactions ? It's possible i guess .

I sold a watch about 12 years ago to a buyer in Saudi Arabia.

He paid by paypal and money was in my bank so posted the watch. Thought i was extra safe as they cut your hand off for stealing in Saudi.

About 2 weeks after posting the money was reclaimed as the paypal account holder said he had not authorised payment.

No money and no watch but i was comforted by the thought that one day his luck would run out and off with his hands.

Watch would be no good then as it would keep falling off lol.

23 minutes ago, graham200666 said:

I sold a watch about 12 years ago to a buyer in Saudi Arabia.

He paid by paypal and money was in my bank so posted the watch. Thought i was extra safe as they cut your hand off for stealing in Saudi.

About 2 weeks after posting the money was reclaimed as the paypal account holder said he had not authorised payment.

No money and no watch but i was comforted by the thought that one day his luck would run out and off with his hands.

Watch would be no good then as it would keep falling off lol.

He'd have a job putting it on!

Right now I can't sel, on fleabay due to their account needed, I used my investment banks checking account but ebay doesn't seem to be able to send its micro transactions so now I'm going to have to go in person to another bank and explain ebay fiasco managed payments delaying selling for another week, im selling thousands each month but this gas stopped it dead, great work ebay.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a way to remove negative feedback somehow? 

I tried to sell a household item in ebay from my account which I used to use about 12 to 15 years ago and since I've not really been on. Now account is locked and I can't get in. Seems a big faff to get back in. Facebook market apparently better or gumtree although I don't have soc media accounts

9 negatives for Telepon22 now.  He really went all out. I'll open my case tomorrow.  That's one coin i'll never see. Along with 5 from auction that are stuck with the courier somewhere unable to deliver. . Not been a good week for me. I'm going to stick with the tried and trusted from now on. 

On 03/06/2021 at 20:49, DarkChameleon said:

Right now I can't sel, on fleabay due to their account needed, I used my investment banks checking account but ebay doesn't seem to be able to send its micro transactions so now I'm going to have to go in person to another bank and explain ebay fiasco managed payments delaying selling for another week, im selling thousands each month but this gas stopped it dead, great work ebay.

My wait on ebay to verify my managed payments is still a wait but they changed their terms, they stated microtrabsactikns would be made within 48 hours to your account to confirm it was doable, they have changed that time line from 48 hours to anywhere from 24 hours to SEVERAL WEEKS....so you could lose a whole month of trading while they take their time to press the send button, its now been 10 days since this 48 hour maximum time to verify...this is what happens when you don't give people enough time to go from paypal to accounts...their advice after I've asked for the third time?....oh wait for a few more days then call us back then we'll tell you to wait a few more days then call back.....and so on and so forth.

Sellers will desert eBay if they go on like this... And too right they should.

As a buyer, I'm still mystified about when my money is transferred to the seller after purchase. I've had some that update to delivered. Others that still say due for delivery long after they've been delivered and I've left feedback. Not sure if the sellers get paid straight away or whether they have to wait until eBay decide it's delivered.

i think when the seller gets paid is based of the value of the item, status of the seller, method of posting etc . Some sellers live completely "off-grid" and in eBay, so may run a positive balance of funds anyway through regular sales.

Despite having the merits of a wide audience, eBay is not generally practical for dealing in bullion.

Received this off eBay 2 days ago. Guaranteed that if you sell any fractional gold to an EU seller, they will still add VAT to the invoice, just as they do in the US now for gold coins purchased there for export. The last sovereign I bought from the US, they wanted £130 in tax and duties. Had it shipped to a friend in the US instead.

From 1 July, and in line with new legislation, eBay will collect VAT on all goods which are sold through eBay and shipped to buyers in the European Union (EU) with a consignment value up to EUR150. eBay will collect VAT on all sales to private individuals, regardless of seller status. eBay will declare the VAT collected under our Import One Stop Shop (IOSS) number.

As EU customs need to identify if VAT has already been paid for EU imports, eBay’s IOSS number needs to be shared electronically with carriers. In cases where eBay has collected VAT and the goods are shipped from the UK, you are responsible for sharing eBay’s IOSS number with your carrier. Failure to share eBay’s IOSS will lead to buyers paying VAT again on delivery. Note that the Post Office systems do not accept a manually provided IOSS number.

If you continue sending parcels through the Post Office without pre-purchasing labels through Click & Drop or the other alternatives set out below, your buyers may have to pay VAT again on delivery.

To simplify the process, we will enrol you into the Global Shipping Programme (GSP) by 1 July. You will receive an email once we have successfully opted you in with further details and a link to opt-out should you wish to do so. GSP will ensure that the IOSS is correctly transmitted and that all customs charges/processes/international delivery is taken care of. All you have to do after a sale transaction is post your parcel to the UK Shipping Centre. Learn more here.

If you wish to continue to post packages to Europe yourself using the Royal Mail or an express carrier service, the alternative postage methods available to you, where you can electronically declare eBay IOSS to your carrier are:

• eBay labels Packlink. Read more here.

• Royal Mail Click & Drop account linked to eBay account. Labels can be dropped off at the Post Office once printed. Read more here.

• Buy postage online with a carrier (Hermes/Parcel2Go/DPD/UPS) and electronically declare eBay’s IOSS number.

4 minutes ago, pricha said:

Finally got a refund on the coin after almost one month .  The seller has 18 negative feedbacks in that time. Not sure how eBay will catch up with the crook but that's not my problem .

Glad all got sorted for you in the end.

GSP thieves everywhere inside, they would help you lost the items, lost the shipping fee and VAT too

its just too perfect complete

Stopped buying from Ebay USA long ago, now will be Ebay UK too

since there are communities forums, its better to use Ebay message system and deal outside, eg from the forum

there is private message, when contacted, seller can message and sent picture etc

the reputation is more secure and direct dealing are safer

and there is no third useless party too 

Last coin I bought from the US, I looked at the dealers name  and found their website online. Dealt with them over the phone. 

Obviously only works with bullion dealers with recognisable businesses, but worked for me.  

On 09/06/2021 at 08:26, SidS said:

Sellers will desert eBay if they go on like this... And too right they should.

As a buyer, I'm still mystified about when my money is transferred to the seller after purchase. I've had some that update to delivered. Others that still say due for delivery long after they've been delivered and I've left feedback. Not sure if the sellers get paid straight away or whether they have to wait until eBay decide it's delivered.

Prior to managed payments it was down to seller reputation. I had two accounts - one business, one personal - the business one released the funds right away regardless of order value. On my personal one with less reputation (feedback and years trading) it sometimes took up to 28 days. With managed payments I have pretty much scrapped my personal account as I didn't want ebay having access to my personal current account so can't say how long that would take. My business account pays out into my business bank account 48 hours after the sale regardless if the order has shipped or not.

Edited by AppleZippoandMetronome

So a few weeks ago I listed a household item for sale (used to sell frequently but not sold anything for 10 years or more) my account got suspended and so I go to log in.... Can;t log in until they send me a code to email or phone, but.... in order to receive this I need to tell them the other ebay id associated with my address.. (there isn't one unless it was the previous owner, I've lived here 5 years or so) none of the automated phone lines have an option for this and can't get a human anywhere or email. Does anyone know a direct email or phone number by any chance? I just want to log in to close my account now :lol: