• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Price of Silver

Hello,

I am new here and had an interesting question. I am currently researching silver as an investment opportunity and am having trouble on determining whether or not it is undervalued. I want to understand the process of valuing it. What would you all recommend when going about the process of evaluating this precious metal?

i was once asked to write a presentation on what the value of silver was. i spent quite a long time thinking about this and decided there was no clear answer. 
As a matter of fact the precious metal markets are heavily manipulated. Gold and silver are real money and so rivals to fiat. 
The trading houses are given a free rein to pursue many market antics, protected by the regulators and central banks. Some of the large banks like JP Morgan act for the Fed and so are acting for the Exchange Stabilisation Fund. 
In these circumstances we do not know what the fair price is of precious metals b/c true price discovery doesn't happen and people use the spot price as a guide when the spot price is in reality a paper price which is rigged.

There are many factors which lead some people to believe precious metals will appreciate due to inflation and in real terms. Andrew Maguire has for some time stated the changes flowing for Basel III will result in a revaluation of gold. Not many agreed in the beginning but more are agreeing now. Gold and silver are linked - they are both real money.
The Wall Street Silver movement is actually having an effect and is going from strength to strength. A lot of focus is given to Sprott PSLV - the PSLV is now taking 50% of the investment physical silver. It has more silver than the registered silver in the COMEX. 
There are many demands for silver for 'Green energy' and general electronics. This is not going to go away any time soon. 

The value of silver is whatever someone is willing to sell for and someone else is willing to pay them. 
Silver is a longer term investment - first know where you would sell the silver and what it would cost you to sell. You might ultimately feel it is most cost effective to buy PSLV (remember the P - this is not the scammy ETF called SLV). As i say silver is worth what someone will pay you. A dealer will pay bottom book price. So know a community you can sell easily and at a fair price. Then if you pay a fair price in the first place you will profit from price appreciation.

In the USA, the American Eagle is the most popular coin. With the high demand for physical, the ASE has gone up a lot. You can sell ASE's all day long in the States - they are expensive but they should be easy to sell. Like for example gold sovereigns are easy to sell on The Silver Forum with most of the members being in the UK. 
Best value generally comes for larger bars.
Having a mix of Constitutional silver, silver rounds, basic mint coins and bars is a good idea. Get involved in a community where silver is being traded and go for basic silver. Nothing fancy. You might get stuff that is fancy but only as you get more experienced. Some of the more expensive items i have bought in the past have doubled and more but you need to know what you are doing and until you do get basic silver. Remember it is a longer term investment - YEARS and you should find outlets where you can sell - which generally means not direct to dealers. Be careful of ebay.

Edited by sixgun

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Some different approaches to making your own silver price target;

1. Take a look at the historic 100+ year gold to silver (GSR) price chart, decide for yourself what is a good ratio, then take price of gold and divide by the ratio. 

2. Take the gold price then divide by the ratio of the weight of all the investment gold which exists to the weight of all the investment silver. 

3. Take Gold price and divide by the ratio of gold being minded to silver being mined

4. Study monetary history to find a date when you think silver price was correct, then simply adjust this price accounting for inflation. e.g. dates I've seen from people who attempt this are 1913 as pre USA Federal Reserve (see USdebtclock.org), or 1944 Bretton Woods, or 1947 UK abandons the silver standard, or 1971 USA abandons bretton woods