• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

New visitor - Hello All

16 hours ago, BYK said:

Hi Guys 

New to the forum.

I'm interested to learn more about and especially want the complete Beast coin in gold or silver as well as Una and the lion.

Please drop me a message 

Hello, nice to "meet" you - what are you interested in learning more about, exactly? Are you a collector, investor or both?

20 hours ago, hcoan said:

Hello, nice to "meet" you - what are you interested in learning more about, exactly? Are you a collector, investor or both?

Hi, 

Really interested to know why silver. Has such a high premium over spot. Compared to gold? Really dont understand it. 

Also wondering how easy it is to buy form the Royal mint? Everytime I try, the items are quickly sold out, does that mean I have to buy from second hand sellers online. Who do you trust to buy from then?

And I am a collector looking to buy a few and hold for my children 

2 hours ago, modofantasma said:

Hello. 

Nice choices, definitely some of my favourite designs in the QB set and although I've yet to see any Una bars in person the designs look fantastic 

I really love the Una bars too, but such a shame they are so expensive. Will they likely be more released by the mint?

Not sure on the release schedules actually. 

The market dictates what premiums the dealers can charge I suppose. The reason the premium seems higher on silver is because it's worth less. 

Eg it's similar work involved in producing aka to mint and sell a 1 oz silver brit as a 1 oz gold brit. The metal content of course is worth more on the gold though. These costs from the mints are passed to suppliers and the end customer. 

Also you are paying 20% vat on top of the silver but not gold. 

A dealer might be charging 25 for bulk Britainnia 1 oz silver coins but then 20% vat and its £30 to you. 

If you look at some of the bigger bars available like the 100 oz at Baird mint for eg the premium is substantially lower than in bullion coins. I was looking last week it worked out around £24 per oz including the vat compared to britannias priced around 20% higher for a similar bulk amount 

• Founder & Administrator

Hello and welcome to The Silver Forum :) 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

5 hours ago, ChrisSilver said:

Hello and welcome to The Silver Forum :) 

Thank you 😊

Any advice for a newbie trying to collect silver and gold? 

5 hours ago, TringSilver said:

Buy gold Sovereigns: Lowest premiums, easy to liquidate.

Silver at 50% premium is too much for me at the minute

Hi tringsilver

Just to be clear because I am new to this. 

Sovereigns meaning only minted coins/bars ? 

If this is the case, Is the Royal mint (england) the best to buy ? Or are all the various mints across the world considered the same?

Because I just bought a gold 1oz bar of britannia from the Royal mint but I really wanted the dragon one from the Australian mint. But its out of stock. 

I guess my question is simple sovereign gold or the collectible gold ? Not sure if the britannia bar is collectible and if its sought after. 

7 minutes ago, BYK said:

Sovereigns meaning only minted coins/bars ?

Hi BYK, I meant Gold Sovereign Coins. Minted by the Royal Mint for c. 200 years for the modern variety. 

They are just under 1/4oz of gold and buy and sell for just a few % either side of spot.

Your gold bar is a good shout as well.

But if you intend to build a big stack then you may want to stick to coins as they are CGT free. Although this will only apply if your profit from selling will exceed £12000 a year so that's quite a lot.

https://atkinsonsbullion.com/gold/gold-coins/sovereign-gold-coins-(1)/2021-uk-full-sovereign-gold-coin

17 hours ago, TringSilver said:

Hi BYK, I meant Gold Sovereign Coins. Minted by the Royal Mint for c. 200 years for the modern variety. 

They are just under 1/4oz of gold and buy and sell for just a few % either side of spot.

Your gold bar is a good shout as well.

But if you intend to build a big stack then you may want to stick to coins as they are CGT free. Although this will only apply if your profit from selling will exceed £12000 a year so that's quite a lot.

https://atkinsonsbullion.com/gold/gold-coins/sovereign-gold-coins-(1)/2021-uk-full-sovereign-gold-coin

Hi TringSilver 

Got it, thanks for the reply and clarifying. 

I have bought some bars because as you eluded to I probably won't sell over 12k a year. 

I will now buy coins. I really love the queen's beast completer coin but it is a pain trying to find a dealer who has one in stock. But I will stick at it.

One final question. I noticed the link you sent of the 1/4 ounce gold coin, was only 22 carot gold.

Is that common in coinage from the mint? And are all there coins and bars 22 carot?

I.bought the britannia gold bar 1oz and it said 999.9 purity so I presumed it was 24 carot but maybe I am wrong.

Thanks again 

2 hours ago, Gordy said:

sovereigns are 22 but Britannia's are 24 (.999) 

Thank you Gordy, 

So why do people love sovereigns so much? If the purity is less and the price is pretty much the same (just glancing over pricing, maybe it is a bit cheaper). Why don't buyers just buy the higher minted coins, I guess it must come down to price, maybe people can only afford the lesser purity. But then are these sovereigns well sort after in the second hand market? Are they collectible ? Or limited by numbers and style? 

Hi BYK, I think you're making the common newbie error of thinking that 22ct or lower coins are "less" good than 24ct/.999

The purity is irrelevant if you are stacking for gold weight. 

A 1oz Gold Krugerrand at 22ct/.917 has the same amount of gold in it as a 1oz Gold Britannia of 24ct/.999 IE 1 Troy Oz of gold.

The only difference is that the Krugerrand will weigh a few GM's over 31.1gms to allow for the extra copper it is alloyed with. 

The alloys are to add some extra durability to the coins generally, a lot of world gold is less than 24ct and Gold Britannias used to be .22ct or similar as well before 2013 I think it was.

5 hours ago, TringSilver said:

Hi BYK, I think you're making the common newbie error of thinking that 22ct or lower coins are "less" good than 24ct/.999

The purity is irrelevant if you are stacking for gold weight. 

A 1oz Gold Krugerrand at 22ct/.917 has the same amount of gold in it as a 1oz Gold Britannia of 24ct/.999 IE 1 Troy Oz of gold.

The only difference is that the Krugerrand will weigh a few GM's over 31.1gms to allow for the extra copper it is alloyed with. 

The alloys are to add some extra durability to the coins generally, a lot of world gold is less than 24ct and Gold Britannias used to be .22ct or similar as well before 2013 I think it was.

Hi Tring Silver, 

Ok so I appreciate what you are saying. 

But how does that determine which one I should buy? 

For example the 22ct gold coin vs the 24 ct gold, what is the determining factor the price ?

Is the 22ct cheaper compared to the 24ct ? Essentially you are getting the same amount of gold but the 22 ct will be more durable so surely that gives it an edge and should be more expensive? Or am I missing something?

@BYK

Couple of questions there. 

What should you buy ? This will depend on your aim, if you just want to stack some gold as a hedge or store of wealth then logic dictates that you should go for the lowest premium gold you can get your hands on. This will generally be sovereigns as they can go for just a few % over spot and same for the Krugerrands. If you have some other reason such as you want to collect a series or type of coin, then go for that and buy what you like. Just remember that anything with a high premium could be worth less if you want to cash it in one day and you take it to a dealer, whereby they could offer spot for it or just under. Conversely, it could keep its premium or rise so research is key.

What determines price ? Well I imagine that sovs have a low price as they have been minted into the millions for a long time and there is a strong market for buying and selling them. Similar for Krugerrands, they were the modern bullion coin after sovs from the 70s onwards so there is a lot around. 

What determines the price on any given day is up to the market really. A dealer that has 1oz Krugerrands for sale at 3% premium one day may have gold Brits at 3% the next. Supply and demand. 

If you just want to stack gold weight, then just keep an eye on the various dealers such as Atkinson's, Chards etc etc and buy what had the lowest premium when you're ready.

I think many on here will have gone a similar route to me, which is stacking some sovs for the gold weight, but once you see the history then there is actually a massive collector angle: rare years, date runs, sate runs of the different empire mints, bullion or proof, etc etc

17 minutes ago, TringSilver said:

@BYK

Couple of questions there. 

What should you buy ? This will depend on your aim, if you just want to stack some gold as a hedge or store of wealth then logic dictates that you should go for the lowest premium gold you can get your hands on. This will generally be sovereigns as they can go for just a few % over spot and same for the Krugerrands. If you have some other reason such as you want to collect a series or type of coin, then go for that and buy what you like. Just remember that anything with a high premium could be worth less if you want to cash it in one day and you take it to a dealer, whereby they could offer spot for it or just under. Conversely, it could keep its premium or rise so research is key.

What determines price ? Well I imagine that sovs have a low price as they have been minted into the millions for a long time and there is a strong market for buying and selling them. Similar for Krugerrands, they were the modern bullion coin after sovs from the 70s onwards so there is a lot around. 

What determines the price on any given day is up to the market really. A dealer that has 1oz Krugerrands for sale at 3% premium one day may have gold Brits at 3% the next. Supply and demand. 

If you just want to stack gold weight, then just keep an eye on the various dealers such as Atkinson's, Chards etc etc and buy what had the lowest premium when you're ready.

I think many on here will have gone a similar route to me, which is stacking some sovs for the gold weight, but once you see the history then there is actually a massive collector angle: rare years, date runs, sate runs of the different empire mints, bullion or proof, etc etc

Hi 

Great advice, thank you for taking the time to message me this. I will be actioning your advice and buying the lowest premium over spot for gold. I did buy a britannia gold 1oz bar from the royal mint. I will work out the premium and let you know. Out of interest do you know if the RM limit the britannia 1oz gold bar is it a collectable? 

And also I have a list of suppliers I have been looking at below, please let me know your thoughts:

1.       ROYAL MINT UK

2.       BULLION BY POST

3.       ATKSINSON BIRMINGHAM

4.       CHARDS

5.       BAIRDMINT

6.       EUROPA BULLION ESTONIA - do we get charged to import these? because of brexit?

Please add any others you think I should know off.