• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

SpegTacular banned from Reddit

24 minutes ago, Groundup said:

If you go fishing. Sometimes you catch a fish.. it all depends on the bait.. know what I mean😙

Thanks for clearing up your position. I think I can ignore your posts with confidence now.

Also thanks for bringing more attention to this thread and this very serious issue that SGB and Silvertowne are looking into as a matter of urgency.

:)

2 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Thanks for clearing up your position. I think I can ignore your posts with confidence now.

Also thanks for bringing more attention to this thread and this very serious issue that SGB and Silvertowne are looking into as a matter of urgency.

:) 

I am so happy for you both. 

Unfortunately you both have history with theses types of threads and I am just the bait you thrive on.

Modus operandi

10 hours ago, GoldStatue said:

Or even vice versa, if you buy a platinum coin and that doesn't contain what it says it should do, wow that would be a lot of money!

When I saw the Spegtacular video I wondered how much metal testing goes on in the general public.

Do people actually own a Sigma testers or even know/carry out the basic tests? Probably not many considering the cost of one of those machines.

Do bullion dealers test metals they purchase off of mints? Or should they have to? 

When you say basic tests, are you referring to testing methods other than the Sigma testers?  Or are you asking whether or not the Sigma owners know how to use their machines properly?  The question is ambiguous to me.   But yes, people do own Sigma testers, and it really is easy to use.    I personally own the Pro Mini, and it works well.  The most important thing to know is to select the proper metal content (i.e. pure silver, sterling silver at 92.5%, silver at 90% for 1945 - XXXX coins, etc), and input the weight of the bullion.   The machine will then tell you whether or not the bullion you have is valid or not.

Edited by SilverStorm

On 16/05/2021 at 13:36, dikefalos said:

Maybe this video from the silver joker brings an end to the discussion? 

maybe what speg or this person with a sigma machine could do is test a britannia silver

coin at 99.9% silver. does it read with the outside range bar similar to the wss bar or does

it read with an arrow?

HH

• 2 months later...
15 hours ago, Groundup said:

Any follow up on this.. Did Spectacular ever prove that Jenny's bar was not the stated purity.

Did he get it fire tested.

Did he find more bars of lesser purity...

I have not been actively watching his YouTube channel, so unfortunately I'm in the dark.  I will email Spectacular and ask him if he has any updates that he can share.  

I emailed Spegtacular last night, and he replied very quickly with an update.  I am copying and pasting his email reply below:

Hey Patrick,

I’ve updated the subs several times over multiple videos and community postings but I realize it’s hard to follow everything I do in every video (would require that the viewer watch the whole thing lol!)

Long story short, I received a second bar from a viewer (Mathew I believe) that had the same issue. I spent about a month with the bar in total. 

Same issue as Jenny’s bar when it came to the Sigma. I did a specific gravity test and both my bar and Mathew’s bar had different readings. I recorded at the time but didn’t keep the results. I thought the different numbers were odd so I did the test about four times. It wasn’t wildly different but it did seem to show what would be less than .999 (could air bubbles cause this? I don’t know!).

Silver gold bull said they tested hundreds of bars after the fact and found them all to be .999 with their very expensive XRF machine. They assure me there’s no issue. I didn’t personally see their results, just taking their word for it.

The weight of both bars were practically identical. Sometimes the Sigma would bug out a little and the reading would move (twitch) on Mathew’s bar.

I did not fire assay the bar due to Silver Gold Bull telling me their findings showed good results.

It’s all very weird but hopefully that gives you the pieces of info I’ve put out for people.

Wallstreetsilver’s Reddit still sucks ;) those guys are insane

Speg Tacular

9 hours ago, SilverStorm said:

I recorded at the time but didn’t keep the results.

This is frankly absurd, and hard to understand. He raised the issue of possibly bad bars, and when he has the chance to document a second bar he doesn't keep the results? Why would anyone make such a bad decision?

And then he says he didn't bother with a fire assay simply because SilverGoldBull reported that all its tests were good? What? This is so bizarre. Why did he raise the issue if he was just going to punt in such a craven way?

His behavior is hard to understand. Burying all the info in ridiculously long videos is also perplexing. Who is going to watch an hour-long video? The parts I saw had far too much meaningless filler content, a lot of non-substantive fluff about the "community" this and that. It's like he just enjoys talking. I can't imagine watching an hour-long video about a possibly bad bar. Five minutes is plenty of time to provide the info.

I also wanted to comment that the thread title is false. This guy wasn't banned from Reddit. He was banned from that creepy Wall Street Silver subreddit, by some weirdo. I sympathized with this Speg character, and was appalled by the Reddit creep's behavior. However, I thought it was poor form for Speg to mock the Reddit guy's physical appearance in his initial video. That's crossing the line.

Speg's behavior overall is a bummer. He totally failed to document and investigate the issue properly. There is no closure, no real explanation. He just gave up and acted strange, claiming results but not saving those results or reporting them. To raise the issue and then mishandle it so badly, failing basic empirical standards, is so disappointing.

I hear you Bimetallic.  To be fair, the silver bars were not Speg’s to destroy by fire essay.  It belongs to the individual owners who asked Speg to confirm on his Sigma machine.   If the owners of the bars wanted it fire assayed, I believe Speg would have helped out and reported it.  

in Jenny’s case, she was able to get a replacement bar after Speg raised some noise.  In this regard, a fire essay would not have helped Jenny get a replacement bar.  SGB would probably have denied replacement as they could not have confirmed authenticity of the bar by testing it themselves.

In my last correspondence with Speg, I told him if the opportunity to fire assay a problematic bar comes up, to let me know. He said he would.  So we will have to see what happens and go from there.  

• 2 weeks later...