• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Best car boot in UK for silver

Hey guys, I am trying to find the best car boot to get silver coins, junk and numismatic items. I have seen some guys on YouTube showing off their purchases and I was shocked how cheap they have obtained it. All I know that it was in Cardiff area. I am located in S&W but I could travel further to get a deal. Please let me know, if you know places.

thanks a bunch!

Thanks to the interwebs more people are savvy to silver/old coins and the potential for profit. Just look at all the 'big ask' starting bids for rubbed smooth 50% coins on diseaseBay.  It's still worth looking for the odd Doris that's had an attic clear out and no desire to research the worth of their haul but they will be the exception these days.

Plus if there's a regular spot that someone has happened across getting them to share the location would quite a feat in most cases 😁

11 hours ago, SilveradoUK said:

Hey guys, I am trying to find the best car boot to get silver coins, junk and numismatic items. I have seen some guys on YouTube showing off their purchases and I was shocked how cheap they have obtained it. All I know that it was in Cardiff area. I am located in S&W but I could travel further to get a deal. Please let me know, if you know places.

thanks a bunch!

Don't forget some of the stuff at car boots sale might be stolen. There may also be fakes.

In a perfect world, all the sellers at them would be ordinary honest people offloading stuff, but crooks are bound to attend them, particularly because most transactions are cash, and anonymous.

Some regular car boot traders also sell things like 1780 Maria Theresa thalers, especially worn or grubby ones. When buyers show interest, the sellers feign ignorance and naivety. Typically they will get about double the dealer selling price from "suckers".

Chards

12 hours ago, SilveradoUK said:

thanks a bunch!

it's probably better to find out more about the value of what you are buying rather than

trying to max out your luck at the expense of someone else. imo lucky finds shouldn't

make up the staple of your holdings but do serve an interesting conversation topic for

those on youtube.

HH

1 hour ago, MickB said:

A few years back on the forum, a member picked up four sovereigns for a tenner each at a car boot sale. He posted it on the forum at the time. All genuine coins. 

I hope he went back the next week to see if the seller had any more! 🙂

Chards

1 hour ago, MickB said:

A few years back on the forum, a member picked up four sovereigns for a tenner each at a car boot sale. He posted it on the forum at the time. All genuine coins. 

I wonder, should one feel any guilt at buying 4 sovs for a tenna each? I'd feel like I was robbing someone. If I really thought they needed the money too, I wonder whether I would just tell them, or whether the temptation to take advantage would be too strong... I guess telling the seller would make me the fool? 

I dunno... I guess one mans gain is another's loss. After all, a fool and his sovereigns are easily parted...

1 hour ago, MickB said:

I remember it well. It would be interesting to hear if he ever saw the sellers again?

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

53 minutes ago, HawkHybrid said:

it's probably better to find out more about the value of what you are buying rather than

trying to max out your luck at the expense of someone else. imo lucky finds shouldn't

make up the staple of your holdings but do serve an interesting conversation topic for

those on youtube.

HH

It's a car boot sale. 

Everyone is trying to max out there luck at someone else's expense. 

Years ago i was selling some stuff at a car boot and took a look at the stall next to me. He was selling a £5 coin in its presentation pack for £2.

Are you stupid i asked, you do know thats legal tender and can spend it in a shop.

He ripped open the packet and put it in his pocket and brought a pack of cigarettes the next day.

He was my brother so i should have brought it for £2 and wound him up for the rest of his life.

Another car boot we both had a stall i had one of those electric fly trap lights for sale for £2 and he said i would never sell that so i bet him £2 i would sell it.

I put the price down to 50p and the next person that came to my stall brought it so with the £2 from the bet i got £2.50. He was not happy lol.

1 hour ago, Bigmarc said:

It's a car boot sale. 

Everyone is trying to max out there luck at someone else's expense. 

the pointer was instead of gambling at a car boot sale, maybe invest the time and

effort into something that you can grow.

HH

1 hour ago, SilverJacks said:

I wonder, should one feel any guilt at buying 4 sovs for a tenna each? I'd feel like I was robbing someone. If I really thought they needed the money too, I wonder whether I would just tell them, or whether the temptation to take advantage would be too strong... I guess telling the seller would make me the fool? 

I dunno... I guess one mans gain is another's loss. After all, a fool and his sovereigns are easily parted...

from memory, the story doesn't end there.

that forum member made a verbal agreement with the seller that if they were real a higher price

would be paid for them. after confirming that they were actually genuine from a gold shop, that

forum member went on to fulfil the verbal agreement. it still turned out to be a good deal but had

the agreement of both sides.

HH

1 hour ago, HawkHybrid said:

from memory, the story doesn't end there.

that forum member made a verbal agreement with the seller that if they were real a higher price

would be paid for them. after confirming that they were actually genuine from a gold shop, that

forum member went on to fulfil the verbal agreement. it still turned out to be a good deal but had

the agreement of both sides.

HH

Spot on! No pun intended... 

5 hours ago, SilverStorm said:

I had to look up the meaning of "car boot," as that is not something you say in daily English in Canada lol!   :D

We sometimes have to be careful with our words as it is easy to forget it is a worldwide forum which is why in my post i used the word cigarettes and not fags.

That would confuse our American friends.

Another tale about my brother is he was in America on holiday and he got into a friendly poker game in some bar. During the game he said he will be back in a minute and is popping out for a fag.

He realised what he had said by the shocked looks on their faces lol.

Ahhhh Car boots sale - the great british tradition of unloading your c**p at someone elses expense instead of taking it to the tip. 

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

34 minutes ago, tallthinkev said:

Boot Shadow

Cloud Boot

Boot Sprit

Tottenham HotSpur?

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

On 08/05/2021 at 05:55, Liam84 said:

Thanks to the interwebs more people are savvy to silver/old coins and the potential for profit. Just look at all the 'big ask' starting bids for rubbed smooth 50% coins on diseaseBay.  It's still worth looking for the odd Doris that's had an attic clear out and no desire to research the worth of their haul but they will be the exception these days.

Plus if there's a regular spot that someone has happened across getting them to share the location would quite a feat in most cases 😁

As likely as getting a metal detectoristbto share their best producing spots.

I've been trying to find a place who will sell gold/silver to me for cash, maybe I should have a look around car boots, but my main worry here is picking up a fake, Im very new to metal purchasing so could easily be duped into buying something thats not real gold/silver, I contacted various real companies but they all told me to use their website and theres no purchases in the shop in real life.

The car boots ive been to just seem riddled with dodgy stuff other than the odd family who is selling stuff cheap, but not gold or silver.

3 minutes ago, xipclone said:

I've been trying to find a place who will sell gold/silver to me for cash, maybe I should have a look around car boots, but my main worry here is picking up a fake, Im very new to metal purchasing so could easily be duped into buying something thats not real gold/silver, I contacted various real companies but they all told me to use their website and theres no purchases in the shop in real life.

The car boots ive been to just seem riddled with dodgy stuff other than the odd family who is selling stuff cheap, but not gold or silver.

Agreed plenty of pegsellers there. I personally avoid