• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mail special delivery claim rejected

Hi guys

just wondering if anyone has any experience claiming for a lost item sent SD?  It was for a private sale of a bar worth £200 which got lost, so i made a claim proving proof of postage, screenshots of the correspondence with the buyer and proof of value i found a similar priced item online and sent that weblink - even though i am only claiming for the amount received from the buyer.  

the claim was rejected and i was only refunded postage and customer service said i need to provide all evidence showing value.  Also i can attach my statement as payment was BT.  Obviously i dont have an invoice/paypal receipt as i purchased this a long time ago and also privately.  In this case what else can i provide to them? 

i thought this would be a black and white case but obviously they are trying to get out of paying. 

They are trying it on so persevere.
SD covers all valuables and anything else of value.
Show your bank statement entry and send a picture, not a link, of a similar item.
If a similar item is listed on a dealer site take a screen shot showing its retail price.
Maybe compare the weight of the item with the weight shown on the postal label.
Regular SD provides up to £500 insurance for loss.
I am afraid the people behind the Royal Mail claims are like robots so you need to make it "idiot proof".

Insurance companies make money by not paying out. Challenge it to the hilt. I would ring the customer service team and escalate it as a formal complaint and get the record straight.

Wish you all the best with it.

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

I'm happy you brought this up but I'm also sad to hear the bad news. This is exactly why I was a bit skeptical about private sales here on the forum being covered by SD.

I have been through this process once and from my understanding of it all. The following takes place, 

You make a claim and provide the relevant evidence. The royal mail will also write to the intended recipient asking them to fill out a form stating whether or not they received the item and also how much was paid for the item.

You got to follow Pete's advice on this send a screen shot of the bank transaction entering your account. Send them screen shots of the private messages you have had from the buyer. The weblink is not worthwhile sending. Proof of the funds entering your account and proof of the conversation taking place. 

This is going to be a very interesting case and I hope Royal mail pay out for the claim, if they do not we are pretty much buggered on this forum. 

Please do keep us updated.