• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

'Photo Only Topics' Discussion Thread

Message added by ChrisSilver,

There is also a new Precious Metals Photography section to discuss all things related to photography including techniques, questions, and discussions:

https://www.thesilverforum.com/forum/150-precious-metals-photography/

6 hours ago, motorbikez said:

@garthy 2011 Britannia masterpiece, 8oz or 250g ,that is an interesting coin/medal very contemporary design, any more info on it garthy.

Thanks MB, I really like it though it isn't too well known and for that reason lacks any real demand, limited to 500 and was originally sold for a whopping  £595, I picked it up at auction for around £250 after fees.

It's a medal, 999 purity, 80mm in size, around 250g, limited mintage of 500.

The high relief antique finish is pretty special in hand, the relief goes both ways as hopefully you can see in the pic.

1450550783407-1584230894.jpg

5 hours ago, daz said:

cheers @sovereignsteve was having a bit of a sort out today so took the opportunity to take a few photos for my own records so thought i might as well upload them , i would love to own some higher grade coins but even in the lower grades i just like the thought of having coins that are so old ,

got some others that i will upload when ive got time

on a different note how about threads for rounds , dollars and other foreign coins ?

I was talking with Chris about other threads. 

It might be best to avoid a 'world coins thread' as its too vague.  Maybe if we do continents instead.  

@motorbikez gutted i came late to the party and missed out on series 1lunars on release so will now have to pay top whack , they are miles nicer than series 2 imo. Will have to shell out for them one day

But why are the designs different on the dog and pig proofs compared to the bu when all the rest are the same ?

Would it be worth having a fake coin photo thread then include dimensions and weight for future reference so they can be compared against a genuine coin?

I once got caught out with a fake Niue Island 1oz bar and never had a genuine bar to compare it against, even though we all know what an ounce should be.

4 hours ago, Numistacker said:

Is there any support for expanding photo threads to add video that is relevant and on topic?

I think I'd prefer keeping this as just a photo gallery.

There is the 'who here makes YouTube videos' thread for members who make vids and more general thread for any you tube videos.

There's no harm in starting a new thread in the general section if you want a thread for videos of a certain coin group.  Eg.  'Libertad Videos Thread' and decide whether its videos by members only or any from YouTube. 

• Founder & Administrator

I agree with keeping the photo only threads as photo only. 

If a separate coin specific video topic is created in the forums and this topic is very popular with demand for new topics, then of course we will respond to this by looking at the possible options for a separate categorised video section on the site, possibly outside the forums application. 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

@sovereignsteve to each his own SS,I quite like the carded versions as I do have the space to store them. You can if you collect just the capsuled version remove them from the card. The capsules are threaded version & will unscrew from the card.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

35 minutes ago, motorbikez said:

@sovereignsteve to each his own SS,I quite like the carded versions as I do have the space to store them. You can if you collect just the capsuled version remove them from the card. The capsules are threaded version & will unscrew from the card.

Never thought of or tried that. I do have some carded versions from the 90's thanks to Arshi. Maybe I'll pick up some of the rarer ones as/when/if I see them at reasonable prices and temporarily take them out of the cards for display and storage.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Is there any support for expanding photo threads to add video that is relevant and on topic?

I think I'd prefer keeping this as just a photo gallery.

There is the 'who here makes YouTube videos' thread for members who make vids and more general thread for any you tube videos.

There's no harm in starting a new thread in the general section if you want a thread for videos of a certain coin group.  Eg.  'Libertad Videos Thread' and decide whether its videos by members only or any from YouTube. 

Why do you think that in this age of multimedia photos should be in a different category to video? Photos will come alive as videos in the next year with new technology and even today your Facebook profile photos can do this.

I love the idea of photo threads and this seems a great step forwards and genuinely fun and useful for members but I don't think you guys are right to exclude video from photo threads.

Video of members coins by members showing coins in a much better way than with still photos should be allowed here and would encourage greater networking and use of technology.

This does nothing to detract from the usefulness of video threads of "interesting videos I discovered" or for members to post and comment on videos they make.

I think I see photos and videos separately for a couple of reasons (but I'll leave out being old fashioned for now).

If the post was a good quality photo of a coin which when clicked played a video then I think that would be good.  The thing is with most YouTube videos is that the thumbnail image representing the video is often something random and might not even be of a coin.  Even if it is, it is unlikely to be up to the same quality as a still image.  Also, it would have a walloping play button in the centre.

Ideally, we would click on an image and it would rotate showing all parts of the coin maybe even jumping out of the screen as a hologram.

Nail on head.

If the video could be embedded in the forum rather than linking to Youtube, it might provide better control over content and presentation. It would also cut out all the advert crap you get bombarded with.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

I think I see photos and videos separately for a couple of reasons (but I'll leave out being old fashioned for now).

If the post was a good quality photo of a coin which when clicked played a video then I think that would be good.  The thing is with most YouTube videos is that the thumbnail image representing the video is often something random and might not even be of a coin.  Even if it is, it is unlikely to be up to the same quality as a still image.  Also, it would have a walloping play button in the centre.

Ideally, we would click on an image and it would rotate showing all parts of the coin maybe even jumping out of the screen as a hologram.

And why shouldn't it have a walloping play button in the middle? It's a video duh.. )) maybe the play button should be invisible.

All I am saying is we have the best and fastest growing forum for stackers and pm in the world and we should be embracing YouTube rather than rejecting or reinventing the wheel.

We have the potential to attract many more in the YouTube community here and to use this forum to enhance what is already happening there.

The viewing of YouTube is gaining popularity to such an extent that it is a core activity now for many people replacing almost entirely the watching of traditional tv.

Wouldn't it be great if that were several thousand users of this forum )) or do you guys want to keep it private and exclusive?

• Founder & Administrator
6 minutes ago, HelpingHands said:

I think Chris has an idea brewing. 

@Numistacker I sent you PM earlier with a suggestion in regards to a specific video section on the forum. Please have a look at the demo I sent you and PM me back.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

17 hours ago, Numistacker said:

Wouldn't it be great if that were several thousand users of this forum )) or do you guys want to keep it private and exclusive?

I don't disagree, although I have used other sites where quality has paid the price for quantity.

I can honestly see valid points on both sides of the argument. Video clips are great, and a tool which should be embraced. However Numi you need to appreciate that not all Youtube content is as well presented as yours and other members of the Forum. There would need to be some form of quality control.

The solution is for the more technically minded than me that is for sure.

Time for my first of the day I think, so 'cheers' to all.

Bob

Currently stacking 1/4 oz (22ct) and Sovs.