• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

'Photo Only Topics' Discussion Thread

Message added by ChrisSilver,

There is also a new Precious Metals Photography section to discuss all things related to photography including techniques, questions, and discussions:

https://www.thesilverforum.com/forum/150-precious-metals-photography/

22 minutes ago, smallcaps said:

Month one of stacking/collecting. The Phillies were the latest acquisition. 

20220220_121253~2.jpg

😍🤩

I make that 10oz of AU and looks like 27oz of AG. Excellent going just a month into stacking, especially getting hold of those QB coins. 👍

........now what is your home address again !!!? 🤣

14 minutes ago, Happypanda88 said:

😍🤩

I make that 10oz of AU and looks like 27oz of AG. Excellent going just a month into stacking, especially getting hold of those QB coins. 👍

........now what is your home address again !!!? 🤣

I'm definitely addicted and completely fine with my addiction!

As for home address, I live on a boat and sadly, it recently sunk with all my holdings 😩😏😉

On 20/12/2020 at 10:11, LiquidMetalsUK said:

End of the year so some time to take a photo of my personal stack. Been a great year for stacking and had the opportunity to get some truly awsome pieces. 

HAPPY XMAS GUYS AND GALS 

20201220_095448.jpg

20201220_095511.jpg

20201220_095603.jpg

20201220_095600.jpg

20201220_095525.jpg

20201220_095522.jpg

20201220_095520.jpg

20201220_095507.jpg

20201220_095502.jpg

20201220_095459.jpg

20201220_095514.jpg

very nice, thor hammer is superb too

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

5 minutes ago, Gordy said:

Those gold maples look very nice, just getting my scuba gear on to go hunting sunken ships

I find them to be the prettiest coins I own. I also like the size and weight compared to my other coins.

Really want to get my hands on some gold buffaloes... just from the pics I've seen, I really dig the design. Can't justify the premiums, tho.

Good luck with the dive and don't forget to pressure acclimatise else you'll find yourself in Davy Jones' Locker 🏴‍☠️

16 hours ago, jultorsk said:

Off strike 1957 (with what looks to be coarser graining?)

Screen Shot 2022-02-25 at 2.54.21 am.png

This off-centred mis-strike would be scarce and collectable if it was a genuine sovereign struck by the Royal Mint.

Your photos are quite good, but it we had the coin here in Blackpool, I would want to get bigger, better, photos of it. I would also want to Niton XRF test it.

It looks grainy, the date numeral and exergue look a little strange, but worst of all, the reverse field appears to be strewn with raised pimples. These could be explained if the coin was struck using a rusty die, but the RM do not usually use rusty dies especially for their "flagship" coin.

I am 91.66% sure this is a fake.

Do you have a local coin shop or bullion dealer anywhere near you?

It would also be interesting to know who and where you bought it from, then to hear what they say when you query this with them.

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

3 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

This off-centred mis-strike would be scarce and collectable if it was a genuine sovereign struck by the Royal Mint.

Your photos are quite good, but it we had the coin here in Blackpool, I would want to get bigger, better, photos of it. I would also want to Niton VRF test it.

It looks grainy, the date numeral and exergue look a little strange, but worst of all, the reverse field appears to be strewn with raised pimples. These could be explained if the coin was struck using a rusty die, but the RM do not usually use rusty dies especially for their "flagship" coin.

I am 91.66& sure this is a fake.

Do you have a local coin shop or bullion dealer anywhere near you?

It would also be interesting to know who and where you bought it from, then to hear what they say when you query this with them.

😎

@LawrenceChardexcellent comments thank you. I was hoping the pic would pique your interest and you'd provide your thoughts which are deeply appreciated. PM'd you.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

2 hours ago, AuricGoldfinger said:

Gold heavy? Hope so!

You'd think but then you can't play the ratio game for profit, as in gold high, sell for silver, silver high, sell for gold...I went from selling sovs for eagles at 120 plus then eagles for sovs at under 70...didn't cost me more then a few hundred but it added over 50% to my stack for little monetary loss.

7 hours ago, DarkChameleon said:

A little gold heavy if your stacking to ratio but it's all better then paper stacking.

I was trying to keep a sensible ratio and have some tubes of silver maples tucked away. These are mostly the shinies I keep around to play with. I have to admit tho, I do like gold haha!

On 05/03/2022 at 11:10, FFposh said:

My current non Ag stack. All three kids loved the Pandas, so I sourced one each, and then they each chose another world coin, hence the Kangaroo, the Buffalo and the most recent Philly!

Going forward, the continuation of the 1/4 Brits with the 1/4 Tudor Beasts and maybe a venture into Sovereigns and/or fractional World bullion, but buying 3 of everything in 1oz will be harder if spot keeps increasing, hence the move to fractional🤷. Not a real problem, that fact is not lost on me, especially in the current climate🇺🇦💙🇺🇦💛.

Overall, very happy with this stack so far!

PXL_20220305_103421979.jpg

Screenshot_20220305-110913.png

Screenshot_20220305-110936.png

Great idea. Love the variety too!

4 hours ago, Solly said:

Great idea. Love the variety too!

Cheers @Solly, Got to keep things equal, it's all for the long game for my three kids when they start trying to buy houses etc.....and I find giving them the odd choice almost keeps them interested 🤣, (but not quite!).

👍

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/03/2022 at 13:17, Gordy said:

Treasure Look at Sunday.... as of 6th March

Stack as of 6-3-2022.jpg

Where did you get the large boxes for the Britannias and how much were they?  I am trying to work out whether to get something like that or a box that stores them upright ( with bigger capacity ) but of course downside is you cant see them.

52 minutes ago, bluffer said:

Where did you get the large boxes for the Britannias and how much were they?  I am trying to work out whether to get something like that or a box that stores them upright ( with bigger capacity ) but of course downside is you cant see them.

They are from Dewaulders and the Brit boxes are £29.99, you can get others such as Pandas, Maples, Krugs etc but they are £39.99 so i buy the brit ones.. Amazon also sell them for £29.99 too

They have brought out an 11 coin version for the QB's 2oz Bullion

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

10 minutes ago, Gordy said:

They are from Dewaulders and the Brit boxes are £29.99, you can get others such as Pandas, Maples, Krugs etc but they are £39.99 so i buy the brit ones.. Amazon also sell them for £29.99 too

They have brought out an 11 coin version for the QB's 2oz Bullion

thanks.  I saw that earlier but what threw me was the picture of the inside is completely different on the listing

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Leuchtturm1917-Presentation-Silver-Britannia-Capsules/dp/B07TVC321X/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=coin+holder&m=A3MJLXPOJVJKVK&qid=1648048022&s=merchant-items&sr=1-2

But going down to the reviews, its got pictures of what appears to be "your" box. 

Got to get back to the village now, they are missing me.

14 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

1861 Victoria Young Head Shield Sovereign with numerous anomalies / errors.

1861victoriayoungheadgoldfullsovereignwithanomaliesobvcrop.thumb.jpg.c4af0460482d4a9b076df25ede725868.jpg

What can you spot?

1861victoriayoungheadgoldfullsovereignwithanomaliesrevcrop.thumb.jpg.6dd2487ca6313415af8e7068c266dbcd.jpg

Don't forget, comments need to go here:

7 minutes ago, matt1r said:

I’ll start with overstruck R and I in Victoria Dei on the obverse, the C looks strange too.

Good!

Here are a few more photos:

1861victoriayoungheadgoldfullsovereignwithanomaliesobvwithoverlayofsupermacroviewofR-4000.thumb.jpg.16138b8a624f016c2f1087a391b94423.jpg

Double or Overstruck R

1861victoriayoungheadgoldfullsovereignwithanomaliesobvwithoverlayofsupermacroviewofC-4000.thumb.jpg.d8c17b3b8601db49d2a608dcc67e98fc.jpg

C over O? in Victoria

1861victoriayoungheadgoldfullsovereignwithanomaliesobvwithoverlayofsupermacroviewof8-4000.thumb.jpg.9be1ee32eb08cd54445af6813e20786a.jpg

8 over ? in date

1861victoriayoungheadgoldfullsovereignwithanomaliesobvwithoverlayofexpandedviewof8crop.thumb.jpg.da3ae1921f5c3a273afcb4138157fa43.jpg

Another view of 8 in date.

Chards

On 24/03/2022 at 21:47, LawrenceChard said:

C over O? in Victoria

How about C over rotated C? 1st strike of the punch out by 90 degrees then overstruck in the correct orientation?

Here are some similar examples showing the same R over R:

https://auctions.thecoincabinet.com/lots/view/4-3T4Q6F/1861-gold-sovereign-c-over-rotated-c-very-fine-agw02355-oz

http://www.michael-coins.co.uk/1s 1861 C over C.htm

4 hours ago, Booky586 said:

How about C over rotated C? 1st strike of the punch out by 90 degrees then overstruck in the correct orientation?

Here are some similar examples showing the same R over R:

https://auctions.thecoincabinet.com/lots/view/4-3T4Q6F/1861-gold-sovereign-c-over-rotated-c-very-fine-agw02355-oz

http://www.michael-coins.co.uk/1s 1861 C over C.htm

Yes,  That looks very likely. The R in Victoria is doubled on TCC coin.

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

On 24/03/2022 at 21:47, LawrenceChard said:

Good!

Here are a few more photos:

1861victoriayoungheadgoldfullsovereignwithanomaliesobvwithoverlayofsupermacroviewofR-4000.thumb.jpg.16138b8a624f016c2f1087a391b94423.jpg

Double or Overstruck R

1861victoriayoungheadgoldfullsovereignwithanomaliesobvwithoverlayofsupermacroviewofC-4000.thumb.jpg.d8c17b3b8601db49d2a608dcc67e98fc.jpg

C over O? in Victoria

1861victoriayoungheadgoldfullsovereignwithanomaliesobvwithoverlayofsupermacroviewof8-4000.thumb.jpg.9be1ee32eb08cd54445af6813e20786a.jpg

8 over ? in date

1861victoriayoungheadgoldfullsovereignwithanomaliesobvwithoverlayofexpandedviewof8crop.thumb.jpg.da3ae1921f5c3a273afcb4138157fa43.jpg

Another view of 8 in date.

A very interesting coin! Is it for sale? 😀

24 minutes ago, Booky586 said:

A very interesting coin! Is it for sale? 😀

I agree it is interesting.

Yes, it will be.

Juliana (Chard) invited me to post the photos on TSF. I think she was trying to guess / work out what the lettering errors and quirks were, and was possibly being lazy, but actually it is good to be able to share photos and opinions.

Chards