• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How many ounces in a Kilo bar?

Heirlooms

When working out the number of ounces I have in my stack I’ve always worked out the number of ounces in a kilo as 35.274. But I realised I maybe should be using troy ounces which is actually 32.150. Can anyone shed any light?

Looking for 1981 and 1983-1984 GOLD Ghanaian coins

56 minutes ago, Heirlooms said:

When working out the number of ounces I have in my stack I’ve always worked out the number of ounces in a kilo as 35.274. But I realised I maybe should be using troy ounces which is actually 32.150. Can anyone shed any light?

32.15 troy... 

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

1 hour ago, Heirlooms said:

I think you used one ounce (~28g) instead of the troy ounce (31.103g).

1000g (1kg) / 31.103g (1ozt) = 32.15ozt

Edited by stackerp5

Always shipping with re-used or biodegradable packaging.

Looking to sell some items to fund a holiday. I've got some items for sale. PM me or check my profile if interested: Hitler's 3rd Reich 2 Reichsmark Coins, Roman Imperial Denarii and Other silver coins/items.

I added this as a note in my Stack.xlsx 

Troy Ounces (Grams)

Full Sovereign 0.2354 (7.9805g)
Half Sovereign 0.1407 (3.9940g)

5Kg 160.7540 (5000g)
1Kg 32.1507 (1000g)
500g 16.0754 (500g)
250g 8.0377 (250)g
100g 3.2151 (100g)

Looking to complete a date run of Bu Sovs and still require; 2010, 2011, 2018 & 2019

7 hours ago, CaptCaveMan said:

I added this as a note in my Stack.xlsx 

Troy Ounces (Grams)

Full Sovereign 0.2354 (7.9805g)
Half Sovereign 0.1407 (3.9940g)

5Kg 160.7540 (5000g)
1Kg 32.1507 (1000g)
500g 16.0754 (500g)
250g 8.0377 (250)g
100g 3.2151 (100g)

Excellent - and you can also add formula into the cells to confirm the fineness if, like me, you want to know how much actual gold or silver there is!

29 minutes ago, NewCoins said:

That's a nice historical view of what the Internet looked like wayback! 👍

Yes indeed. A genuine antique page and site, in internet terms, but it still works.

We have ported many of our heritage site pages over to our newer site.

to get to our page, I used a Google search, and to my surprise, our old site came up first. The ported page on our new site is here:

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/weights-and-conversions/373

Before posting, I checked whether I had provided the "reciprocals" for troy to metric conversions, and I didn't. It is easy enough to work it out, all you need to do is:

Start with 31.1035 grams = 1 ounce troy

But as we want to know how many troy ounces in a kilo (1000 grams), we simply divide 1000 by 31.1035,  to get 32.1507225874902; so call it 32.15 rounded to 2 decimal places.

Chards

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/04/2021 at 18:24, NewCoins said:

That's a nice historical view of what the Internet looked like wayback! 👍

It still does!

Or at least, we have left it, and at least two of our other "Heritage Sites" online, but rarely updated.

There is still some information on them which we have not yet copied to our Chards site (although a lot of other people have copied them).

Chards

On 16/04/2021 at 10:05, AndrewSL76 said:

Excellent - and you can also add formula into the cells to confirm the fineness if, like me, you want to know how much actual gold or silver there is!

This will make you underestimate the amount of gold or silver. When bullion is marked as a given weight of PM, the object will contain at least that weight of the pure metal, not 0.999 or 0.9999 of the marked weight. Meaning, the object is always slightly heavier than its marked weight.

The fineness refers only to the purity of the object, not to the amount of the precious metal. That's key. This is also why Crown gold (.9167 fine) bullion like Sovereigns, Eagles, and Krugs, and Britannia silver (.958 fine) bullion always contain the marked amount of actual gold or silver, not a fineness fraction of it.

Also, the stated fineness should always be an understatement, a minimum. Silver marked as 999 won't be precisely 999000 fine. It will more likely be something like 9995, and it will vary some from batch to batch.

Always use troy ounces for precious metals. Conveniently, there's an exact conversion from troy ounces to grams because of the International Yard and Pound Agreement from the 1950s. By that agreement, a troy ounce is exactly 31.1034768 grams. As others noted, a kilogram is 1000 grams / 31.1034768 grams/oz t. So it's 32.15075 troy ounces.

That's slightly different from the above offered values because I used the correct, exact value of a troy ounce. I don't like rounding errors. Unfortunately the result probably goes on forever, so you have to cut it off at some point.