• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

½oz coins?

TutoredSoup232

I like them, not very often do you see them for sale on here, I believe I got about 2 or 3. 

It's a cute coin, but so are the 1/4ozs. 

Could be a savvy purchase when you compare the premiums 

I got a 1/2oz Britannia on here a while back, mainly because it's a nice one and the premium was a relatively low ~9%. They're a nice size for good details but given there's both smaller and larger coins with typically lower premiums I'll usually go for a Sovereign or two, or save up for a full 1oz for stacking purposes. 

DSC_2606.JPG

Have a few 3 coin gold proof Britannia sets and do love the half oz size in those sets.

Quarter oz is nice too, but prefer half oz, if given the choice and have the budget. Wish the Queen's Beasts were in half oz instead of quarter oz.

Think 1/10 or less is a bit small and difficult to see the designs.

3 hours ago, GoldenGriffin said:

Have a few 3 coin gold proof Britannia sets and do love the half oz size in those sets.

Quarter oz is nice too, but prefer half oz, if given the choice and have the budget. Wish the Queen's Beasts were in half oz instead of quarter oz.

Think 1/10 or less is a bit small and difficult to see the designs.

Agreed I drew up a little sketch of what I thought a 1/10oz would look like next to a ¼ britannia and decided against it. Barely big enough to see the design let alone appreciate it especially considering that premium! Enjoy! 

20210410_034849.jpg

17 minutes ago, TutoredSoup232 said:

Agreed I drew up a little sketch of what I thought a 1/10oz would look like next to a ¼ britannia and decided against it. Barely big enough to see the design let alone appreciate it especially considering that premium! Enjoy! 

20210410_034849.jpg

I've done the same - drawing size for comparison, helps knowing whether it's worth the buy 😉

I have one 1/2 oz coin, a 2020 Britannia - which I bought just because I wanted one of that size in my collection.

I do like it, and would certainly stack 1/2 oz generic coins in preference to 1/4 oz generic coins, mostly because they are bigger and would have smaller percentage premiums compared to a 1/4 oz version of the same design and year.

But - if I was looking to stack coins of this kind of size, I would probably choose double sovereigns over 1/2 oz Britannias - although having several of both would be very nice 🙂

2 hours ago, TutoredSoup232 said:

20210410_034849.jpg

That Perth Mint Kangaroo drawing cracks me up 😂 sorry

Concerning sizes; personally I understand it’s always best to get the lowest premium on gold coins. With pure fractionals, this is mostly as good as impossible.

But...I think buying 1oz/month is financially for most people not an option. It’s hard saving 6 months or a year for a full oz of gold when the itch for buying precious metal is constantly present. 

Although on 1/10oz coins the designs are indeed much harder to appreciate, I do buy them from time to time. I just love how tiny they are and the sound they make in their capsule. Such a small thingy holding that much value is amazing. When it’s time to sell, you will get the same premium back on the secondary market. Also, when the value of gold goes way up -and it’s time to sell- you will have some smaller items that are more liquid and will be affordable for more people.

Secondly, there are a few 1/10th oz coins that are bigger (thus thinner) then others and can almost be compared to the size of most of the 1/4oz designs. For example the Somalian coins with African Wildlife. They are significantly bigger in size then for example the 1/10th maple leaf. 

That being said, my own favourite size is 1/4oz, about the same size as a full Sovereign. 1/2 oz is indeed getting less love, thus harder to sell but also less available. I guess these are things stackers keep in mind while buying, as part of their exit strategy.

I've looked at the half ounces and qtr ounces a few times and thought about it.  Then I crunch some numbers and decide to either buy Sovereigns or the full ounce instead.  Some variety would be nice though but I just can't get myself to pull the trigger due to the increased premium.

Looking at a 0.05, 0.1, 0.25, 0.5 and 1.0 Toz typeset of the Perth Mint 2021 year of the ox at the moment. the 0.05 and 0.1 do look small but they really do hold lots of detail. The 0.25 is a fine looking coin with just the right amount of detail that can be easily seen. the 0.5 and 1.0 coins IMO are just bigger versions of the 0.25 coin.

22 hours ago, MrFreezerrr said:

Concerning sizes; personally I understand it’s always best to get the lowest premium on gold coins. With pure fractionals, this is mostly as good as impossible.

But...I think buying 1oz/month is financially for most people not an option. It’s hard saving 6 months or a year for a full oz of gold when the itch for buying precious metal is constantly present. 

Although on 1/10oz coins the designs are indeed much harder to appreciate, I do buy them from time to time. I just love how tiny they are and the sound they make in their capsule. Such a small thingy holding that much value is amazing. When it’s time to sell, you will get the same premium back on the secondary market. Also, when the value of gold goes way up -and it’s time to sell- you will have some smaller items that are more liquid and will be affordable for more people.

Secondly, there are a few 1/10th oz coins that are bigger (thus thinner) then others and can almost be compared to the size of most of the 1/4oz designs. For example the Somalian coins with African Wildlife. They are significantly bigger in size then for example the 1/10th maple leaf. 

That being said, my own favourite size is 1/4oz, about the same size as a full Sovereign. 1/2 oz is indeed getting less love, thus harder to sell but also less available. I guess these are things stackers keep in mind while buying, as part of their exit strategy.

So what you're saying is that I've managed to capture the essence of the nugget? Perfect 👌🏽

On 10/04/2021 at 22:59, MrFreezerrr said:

😆 Thank you so much for recognising the kangaroo, I thought it was a donkey! 😃

I bought once in last year.  I originally planned to buy 1oz gold coin, but they had no stock at that moment apart from the America Eagle which I grabbed it.

However, if option is available, I will opt for sovereign or 1oz, which is usually at a lower premium.

On 10/04/2021 at 06:21, TutoredSoup232 said:

Does anyone here actually buy ½oz coins? They seem to get no love at all 

From our experience, they are the least popular of the 4 main sizes / weights of gold bullion coins.

We discuss fractional sizes here: https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/one-ounce-gold-coins-or-smaller-weights/429

Which includes:

Fractional Sizes of Coins
To fill demand for smaller sizes of coins, both for jewellery and for investment, all of the countries which issue one ounce bullion coins also produce fractional sizes of half ounce, quarter ounce and tenth ounce. Some also produce fifteenth ounce or twentieth ounce coins, but these are usually too expensive to be considered by any serious investor. The fractional sizes obviously cost almost as much per coin to produce as the larger one ounce coins, and therefore have a higher percentage compared with their gold value. They are all issued at increasingly high premiums as their size diminishes, and have not been as popular with investors as their large one ounce counterparts.

And we also have a section "Gold Sovereigns and Other Real Gold Coins", in which I point out that sovereigns are often cheaper (lower premium) than quarter ounce bullion coins.

As somebody has already said stick to one ounce coins or gold sovereigns.

Chards

On the proof side I think the 1/2oz Brits are a bit of a bargain if you’re looking to do a date run in pf70. They are consistently sold at lower premiums than the 1/10, 1/4 and full ounce. They’re big enough to get a good look at the design too!

Archived