• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

250 gram Saint Helena Silver Coin Bar (2021) - tested and confirmed genuine

Hi all, I did a quick search and did not see anyone post regarding the 2021 Saint Helena rectangular coin bar that comes in 250 grams.   I recently bought one and would like those who have one to chime in.   I want to know what your thoughts are on this coin bar, and whether or not you have done any verification.   See attached pics of the coin in question.

250g_St._Helena_Silver_Bar_Front.thumb.png.f12a9b3d2dc4bfb2b2e463328ff416b0.png1966549883_images_catalog_tdmetals_250gSt.HelenaSilverBar_250g_St._Helena_Silver_Bar_Back.thumb.png.cb96c6205fe88dace8002f6670d2019e.png

I bought 4 upon release in pre sale. I liked the design and they had the lowest premium of any 250 gram silver product. I usually stick to 1 kg coin bars due too the higher premiums on the lower weight products, but these were a good buy.

Already sold them for a nice profit.

Quality was fine, packaging could be a bit better. One side is hard plastic, but the other a bit softer. Mine had no issue, but I heard from other buyer, his was no longer air tite.

I did no verification. Saint Helena Mint is a known mint, they also did the spade guinea and queen's virtue coins.

Edited by StevenDS

I recently got the Sigma Metalytics PMV Pro Mini, and I tested the St. Helena coin bar.   For the most part the arrow lands on the green band, but I did get a surprise when the arrow landed in the yellow band, depending on where you placed the main sensor.  Anyone with PMV Pro experience, please chime in and let me know how I should read the arrow in the yellow band.  Is that something I should be worried about?   Thanks in advance.

1a.jpg

1b.jpg

2a.jpg

2b.jpg

3a.jpg

3b.jpg

4a.jpg

4b.jpg

5a.jpg

5b.jpg

Edited by SilverStorm

• SilverStorm changed the title to 250 gram Saint Helena Silver Coin Bar (2021) - tested but not sure how to read results
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I thought I give an update to this post.   Mea culpa, I didn't read the instruction manual carefully enough.   Here's what it says:

Making a Measurement - basic reading

1. In 1 to 4 seconds the numeric value and the arrow on the measurement screen will
stabilize, this is the reading value.
The thickness, diameter and sample area will also be displayed
2. If the arrow is pointing to the green or yellow portion of the graph display, then the
reading is within bounds for a valid alloy.
If the arrow is pointing to the red area of the graph, the sample is not within bounds
for a valid alloy

So the pictures of the test results shown above are legitimate and fall within bounds for a valid alloy.   But to totally erase any lingering doubt in my mind, I went to a bullion dealer this morning and asked him if he could confirm the authenticity of the St Helena bar.    He put it through their XRF machine and the results came back good (100% genuine, see attached pic).   I showed him my PMV Pro Mini results and he explained that the reason the PMV Pro Mini had the arrow in the yellow band is due to two possible reasons.   First, the PMV Pro Mini sensor has to read through the plastic wrap, which can cause the reading to move to the yellow band.  Secondly, the bar itself isn't 100% flat.  It has designs and patterns on it.   When the sensor goes over the pattern, it will read it as an anomaly and push the reading to the yellow band.   Both reasons were surprising to me as I wasn't aware of this (instruction manual didn't mention these possibilities), but it was good to know nonetheless.   Also knowing the bar was genuine after it was independently verified provided great comfort knowing that my Pro Mini worked correctly.

I hope this has been informative for you as it was for me.   Cheers.

XRF pic.jpg

• SilverStorm changed the title to 250 gram Saint Helena Silver Coin Bar (2021) - tested and confirmed genuine