• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign Photo Thread...

3 minutes ago, drakesterling said:

An 1872 Sydney St George sovereign in PCGS MS62. There are just 11 in this grade with PCGS, and one finer.

1872S-sovereign-coin-1872S29766207.jpg

That's an absolute beauty. I have a London 1872, I'll get the camera out now and take a pic. Nowhere near as nice as yours. Can I be rude and ask how much you paid (and when)?

Buy high. Sell low.

4 minutes ago, SheepStacker said:

That's an absolute beauty. I have a London 1872, I'll get the camera out now and take a pic. Nowhere near as nice as yours. Can I be rude and ask how much you paid (and when)?

Apologies, mine is an 1871! Here's the pics anyway:

1872_1.JPG

1871_2.JPG

Buy high. Sell low.

16 hours ago, drakesterling said:

An 1872 Sydney St George sovereign in PCGS MS62. There are just 11 in this grade with PCGS, and one finer.

1872S-sovereign-coin-1872S29766207.jpg

That is in very good nick.  There's a little bit of scuffing but all the detail in the hair is still visible and it looks like the finish is mostly intact.  

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

And now that @DrDave's little gizmo has arrived, here's a test
with the shield I got the other day.  Not too shabby.  The direct
lighting does a much better job of showing the details of the
coin.  Thank you @DrDave.

image.jpeg.a9399baac252945177e3279a572889de.jpeg

image.jpeg.1e3134d6d02262c9d50c36121343d2bd.jpeg

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

And you can also do this - here's a bit of specular reflection brought in from the side to complement the relatively flat effect of the gizmo.  Bringing some specular reflection from the side highlights the nice satin finish on this 1958 Gillick.

image.jpeg.99923cd077176529f9eec9e5090f8e73.jpeg

image.jpeg.51a87dfb9785802ef7e3bc6ff7b1ea10.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

And you can also do this - here's a bit of specular reflection brought in from the side to complement the relatively flat effect of the gizmo.  Bringing some specular reflection from the side highlights the nice satin finish on this 1958 Gillick.

What camera do you use? Does it have manual focus? I usually get good results by locking in on "B.P.", brings the horse and George nicely into focus.

I can't get my coins to shine like yours though!

58_1.JPG

58_2.JPG

Buy high. Sell low.

I'm using a Samsung Note 10, just the built-in camera on it.  Within its limitations it can work fairly well, It does have a manual focus in 'pro' mode, which seems to be a little hit and miss and I usually struggle to get really sharp focus on it, despite the indicators looking right.  If I just let it auto-focus on ordianry mode, it will focus just fine, but that will only save potato quality JPEGs with nasty artifacts.

Edited by Silverlocks

It looks like I can manoeuvre the macro lens into the picture, and with the gizmo, the lighting blocks out the reflection of the lens in the coin.  Focus is still not quite right but we can get nice high resolution photos.  These are actually shrunk down by about 50% as the cropped pics were something like 2000 pixels across.

image.thumb.jpeg.a4699cf671cf66e3d2af344ef078b94b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5b34568c104f63688516e26537c57d3c.jpeg

1 minute ago, Silverlocks said:

It looks like I can manoeuvre the macro lens into the picture, and with the gizmo, the lighting blocks out the reflection of the lens in the coin.  Focus is still not quite right but we can get nice high resolution photos.  These are actually shrunk down by about 50% as the cropped pics were something like 2000 pixels across.

Yes this is much better mate!

Buy high. Sell low.

Here I'm trying @DrDave's dohickey with a 1909 Edward 7 sov.  This one has some red spots but the coin itself is in quite good nick.  Ed 7 is a pretty indistinct effigy at the best of times, so it's not easy to tell how worn it is.  In this case the ear is still in pretty good condition, and most of the finish is intact.  The obverse is at least a gVF by the look of it, as most of the detail is still visible. The reverse also still has most of its detail, although there is a bit of visible wear on the dragon.

Getting the camera on the phone to focus properly is still aspirational, and for some reason the colour saturation always seems a bit washed out.  I did tweak it a little in Photoshop.

You can see a bit of specular reflection from the side because I've had to prop the coin up out of the cup in order to get it into the focal length of the macro lens.  The photos are shrunk by about 50% from their native resolution.

image.thumb.jpeg.5d8575051fdf05ef1c91004491775666.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2220233506228fe3f75eb43a472bcfb0.jpeg

Edited by Silverlocks

On 07/12/2022 at 19:48, Silverlocks said:

You have the lighting level nice now, and the 'side' lighting is showing the depth well.

As for focus.  You have the top right quarter almost perfectly in focus on both shots, but the rest of it is out.  Unless this is a really weird fault of the camera, it is almost certainly because your focal plane isn't exactly parallel to the face of the coin.  With such a narrow depth of field, this is easy to do.  If I understand correctly, when you say "manual focus" I assume you mean that you are selecting a point on the screen that the phone is focusing on.  Your phone is still autofocusing, but you are telling it what to focus on.  Alternatively, does you macro attachment have a focus ring?  If so, it will be focusing in addition to the phone's own focus.  What photographers would mean by manual focus is manually turning the focus dial of a lens, and taking the electronics out of the equation.

So with that DOF, you have two choices.  Either get the camera exactly in line with the coin face and still run the risk with bigger or deeper coins of not having everything in focus.  Or take multiple shots, focusing at different points, and do post-processing to merge the images into one sharp image (focus stacking).

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

1 minute ago, Charliemouse said:

[ . . . ]

If I understand correctly, when you say "manual focus" I assume you mean that you are selecting a point on the screen that the phone is focusing on.  Your phone is still autofocusing, but you are telling it what to focus on. 

No.  It's a slider control on the screen where you can explicitly set the focus.  'Pro' mode turns off the auto-focus.

2 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

Alternatively, does you macro attachment have a focus ring?  If so, it will be focusing in addition to the phone's own focus. 

Unfortunately the macro lens doesn't have any focusing control of its own.  It's literally just a lens on a clip roughly the shape of a clothes peg that clips over the phone.

5 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

So with that DOF, you have two choices.  Either get the camera exactly in line with the coin face and still run the risk with bigger or deeper coins of not having everything in focus.  Or take multiple shots, focusing at different points, and do post-processing to merge the images into one sharp image (focus stacking).

This is a phrase I've seen before.  I have Adobe CS6 Design Standard (includes Photoshop) and can remote control the camera via PC link if needed.  Can you explain a 5 minute version of how to do focus stacking?