• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign Photo Thread...

10 hours ago, Silverlocks said:

Yeah I was agreeing with the lighting choice.

My main tip was around using exposure compensation to help with highlights. Parts of the coin are overexposed, causing you to lose detail around 'GIN' and 'ETH' on the obverse. Turning the light down won't help because the camera will just compensate.

And agree shooting in raw is always preferable if you can, as it will use lossless compression and will store much more dynamic range. That will allow you to recover much more from the highlights and shadows.  JPEGs should only be used as an export format, never to store and edit photos.

Edited by Charliemouse

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

When I bought a decent camera I expected decent shots (with a bit of messing with settings) but I have to faff about a bit on the pc but its all to try and show the true quality of the coin, some enhancements feel like cheating. Makes it easier to grade though, nice big clear shot saves me farting around with a loupe (especially when you leave the light on, the batteries run out and you dont have spares...).

Mox Metals Logo Small.jpg  moxmetals.co.uk

Ethically sourced, 100% recycled .999 silver bars & other precious metal coins, bars and collectables.

(Mox, crowned The Silver Forums number one hairy chest in the Northwest - as voted for by @CazLikesCoins, a lady who's seen more than her fair share, allegedly...)

Here's one I tried by underexposing the image a bit per @Charliemouse's suggestion and bringing it up in post.  Captures the sheen of the coin but maybe could be a little brighter?

image.jpeg.e56ca4d4ae5fe6b18f410c275f73a117.jpeg

Also gone full arts-and-crafts.  Here's the diffuser I made from tracing paper and pipe cleaners

image.thumb.jpeg.3b8104d87525765afd956e02cfbd4440.jpeg

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

And, here's another attempt at the 1963 Gillick.  This time, with the camera at a slight 10-15 degree tilt and just using the diffusers on the lights.  I tried underexposing the photos a bit and bringing them up in Photoshop again.

This time a tad flat, losing the detail of the hair a bit, but I got Liz's face quite well.  The reverse came out pretty clearly.  I did a bit of detail enhancement and noise reduction on the photos as well, through the pre-filter for raw images that comes with CS6.

image.jpeg.13dcaa35c6a9ffdfe525614a4c75a3fe.jpeg

image.jpeg.6cb76722a32a589609d2dccb54848b2d.jpeg

And for this one we pulled the lights back a bit.  This got us more contrast at the expense of a bit of the background reflecting off the coin.  Also, the shape of the portrait tends to produce reflections that make Liz look like she's got vitiligo if lit from some angles, and it can be a faff to get rid of that.  Not sure if it's just this coin, as I've got another Gillick that shows a similar effect.

image.jpeg.d87290a7434f1a817195a83e644337ea.jpeg

image.jpeg.368dd5ee92666531093b0e0a6dc89e34.jpeg

And here's one holding one light above the other, and getting a consistent reflection from the coin.  I feel as though I've actually solved one of the problems tonight.  Still scope for better contrast in the detail on the obverse - maybe the exposure is a little to high.  But, we can see the detail and the lustre of the coin.

image.jpeg.080914e68bf4de20bdf1c5e6cf83bbe6.jpeg

image.jpeg.541cd70f6ebe9813749d40f417534f1a.jpeg

I feel sovs are actually quite tricky to photograph - very small, but just reflective enough to cause trouble with glare.  OTOH, the intervention in the last two was quite a bit lighter than the previous ones - I think I made some progress tonight after a few weeks of on-and-off frigging.

And here's the previous photo with the exposure pulled down a bit, getting rid of the worst of the glare and showing the lustre and the detail of the coin a bit better.

image.jpeg.740d4d6fffeb67a2e513313de18a21ff.jpeg

image.jpeg.8dc831d6b1eec61b71027d8e937ecc91.jpeg

Not perfect, but I think a lot of the original 'how-do-we-do-this questions are starting to get answers.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

18 hours ago, Silverlocks said:

And, here's another attempt at the 1963 Gillick.  This time, with the camera at a slight 10-15 degree tilt and just using the diffusers on the lights.  I tried underexposing the photos a bit and bringing them up in Photoshop again.

This time a tad flat, losing the detail of the hair a bit, but I got Liz's face quite well.  The reverse came out pretty clearly.  I did a bit of detail enhancement and noise reduction on the photos as well, through the pre-filter for raw images that comes with CS6.

image.jpeg.13dcaa35c6a9ffdfe525614a4c75a3fe.jpeg

image.jpeg.6cb76722a32a589609d2dccb54848b2d.jpeg

And for this one we pulled the lights back a bit.  This got us more contrast at the expense of a bit of the background reflecting off the coin.  Also, the shape of the portrait tends to produce reflections that make Liz look like she's got vitiligo if lit from some angles, and it can be a faff to get rid of that.  Not sure if it's just this coin, as I've got another Gillick that shows a similar effect.

image.jpeg.d87290a7434f1a817195a83e644337ea.jpeg

image.jpeg.368dd5ee92666531093b0e0a6dc89e34.jpeg

And here's one holding one light above the other, and getting a consistent reflection from the coin.  I feel as though I've actually solved one of the problems tonight.  Still scope for better contrast in the detail on the obverse - maybe the exposure is a little to high.  But, we can see the detail and the lustre of the coin.

image.jpeg.080914e68bf4de20bdf1c5e6cf83bbe6.jpeg

image.jpeg.541cd70f6ebe9813749d40f417534f1a.jpeg

I feel sovs are actually quite tricky to photograph - very small, but just reflective enough to cause trouble with glare.  OTOH, the intervention in the last two was quite a bit lighter than the previous ones - I think I made some progress tonight after a few weeks of on-and-off frigging.

And here's the previous photo with the exposure pulled down a bit, getting rid of the worst of the glare and showing the lustre and the detail of the coin a bit better.

image.jpeg.740d4d6fffeb67a2e513313de18a21ff.jpeg

image.jpeg.8dc831d6b1eec61b71027d8e937ecc91.jpeg

Not perfect, but I think a lot of the original 'how-do-we-do-this questions are starting to get answers.

Good work.  I think it's great that you are trying different things and learning.

I think we can safely say you've fixed your dynamic range problem.  Considering you don't care about detail in the background, the histogram on the last shot is effectively spot on.  It meets zero almost perfectly at the right edge.

image.png.21c967fc4e4f6765129aacd9290485b4.png

The tiny little bump at the end of the red is the only clipping.  If you are perceiving glare, you may have your monitor turned up a little high.

That said, I don't think what you've done is wrong - it's an aesthetic choice.

Sovereigns are very difficult.  I find the newest, super-shiny ones to be the worst.  Very difficult to keep detail in them.

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

1 minute ago, Charliemouse said:

Good work.  I think it's great that you are trying different things and learning.

I think we can safely say you've fixed your dynamic range problem.  Considering you don't care about detail in the background, the histogram on the last shot is effectively spot on.  It meets zero almost perfectly at the right edge.

image.png.21c967fc4e4f6765129aacd9290485b4.png

The tiny little bump at the end of the red is the only clipping.  If you are perceiving glare, you may have your monitor turned up a little high.

That said, I don't think what you've done is wrong - it's an aesthetic choice.

Sovereigns are very difficult.  I find the newest, super-shiny ones to be the worst.  Very difficult to keep detail in them.

It's really about getting the detail not to be washed out in the reflections.  I've had way more trouble with sovs than any other coin I've tried, including the 2021 Germania Knights, which is shiny to the point that I've seen folks describe it as a reverse proof. 

11 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

It's really about getting the detail not to be washed out in the reflections.  I've had way more trouble with sovs than any other coin I've tried, including the 2021 Germania Knights, which is shiny to the point that I've seen folks describe it as a reverse proof. 

Sovs have been a pain in the ass for me as well. Took all sorts of different settings to get something decent for my website. Don't have the time to get it right at the moment but @Charliemouse is brilliant at knowing what to try.

Mox Metals Logo Small.jpg  moxmetals.co.uk

Ethically sourced, 100% recycled .999 silver bars & other precious metal coins, bars and collectables.

(Mox, crowned The Silver Forums number one hairy chest in the Northwest - as voted for by @CazLikesCoins, a lady who's seen more than her fair share, allegedly...)

11 hours ago, Charliemouse said:

A deeper description of photographing proof sovereigns.

Equipment: Nikon D850, 150mm macro, tripod with macro head, remote trigger, LED light panel 5600K with diffusion paper, light box with black lining.

Settings: f/16, ISO 100, -1 stop exposure comp, shutterless, focus peaking, RAW at max resolution.

Image 1

image.thumb.jpeg.609b2a81fee221497970f80abd65b089.jpeg

This was a single exposure, straight on.  Because the coin was parallel to the image plane, I could take a single shot and have it all in focus.  f/16 is the smallest aperture I would use; anything higher and diffraction starts to soften the image.  Use of a tripod, remote and shutterless exposure means that I can let the exposure time go as high as it wants, and still keep a small aperture and low ISO.

Image 2

image.thumb.jpeg.1a020ba0c10ae35ba85b01882ba3b8aa.jpeg

My favourite.  The coin was angled up about 20 degrees, capturing the depth and giving a soft light across the fields.  The coin is pointing almost directly at the light, and this is where the diffusion paper is essential, not only to stop harsh reflections but simply to increase the area of the light source.

Much more difficult to capture, the coin is no longer parallel to the sensor, so I need to focus stack 7 images to get the whole coin in focus.

Epic pics, appreciate all the info on your method. I've failed to come up with a consistent technique that works with older flat guineas and the shiny new stuff. Might have to make/get a black light box, assume it doesn't need to be too big? Would be great to see a pic of your setup?

SL203488 copy.jpg

Edited by Simonz

59 minutes ago, Simonz said:

Epic pics, appreciate all the info on your method. I've failed to come up with a consistent technique that works with older flat guineas and the shiny new stuff. Might have to make/get a black light box, assume it doesn't need to be too big? Would be great to see a pic of your setup?

SL203488 copy.jpg

The shiny new sovs are a nightmare.  Now I have my technique reasonably polished, I will try again.

As for the lightbox, I have a "Neewer Photo Studio", currently under £50 on Amazon.  It's 50cm cube, which is easily big enough, probably too big for normal coins but means you can use it for other things.  I don't usually use the built-in lights, as I have the light panel, but it comes with backgrounds and diffusion cloth.  And it packs up flat.  There are many others, of all shapes and sizes.

I've taken these with my light setup which are available here:

the principle (if you don't already know) is that light enters from the diffuser end and reflects down onto your coin via the angled glass. With your mobile camera, or DSLR shooting perpendicular (ie, straight down) to the light source, the glass prevents any reflections from outside of the rig. 

So in short, the coin is lit from above which is ideal, and there are no reflections of the camera which is an issue on shiny coins, jewellery etc

Quick and easy to use. The coin images were taken with an iphone and are unedited.

IMG_2269.jpg

IMG_2267.jpg

IMG_2266.jpg

IMG_2268.jpg

IMG_2271.jpeg

IMG_2272.jpg

1 minute ago, Booky586 said:

The trade board? What's that?

Just now, SheepStacker said:

I call it the trade board, because it just seems to be members shuffling their collections amongst each other trying to find a happy equilibrium :)

Buy high. Sell low.