• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver investment.

I have no silver & looking to invest £5k mainly so I can have some coins to trade in case of emergency.

Would buying 2021 Britannia's be a wise move, or silly idea. Or should I buy different coins.

Not really looking to collect coins, just want them for their value.

Any opinion on best way to invest appreciated.

I presume you live in the UK, so it would make sense to buy the coin of the nation you live and work in. This aids in its recognition but also that fact that those coins may have tax and sales benefits. Brits are CGT free. The Royal Mint states:

Our UK bullion coins, including The Sovereign, Britannia, Lunar and Queen’s Beasts, are exempt from UK Capital Gains Tax (CGT) for UK residents only due to being legal tender.

There is however a VAT premium that comes with the purchase but I believe there is a petition with parliament to have this ended. In the meantime VAT still stands.

If you want silver purely for value, then it would be advisable to buy as many troy ounces as you can for the £5k. Counting in ounces would be the goal and so this might mean picking up a stash of buy-back silver, bars, or more niche products. It ultimately doesn't matter as silver buyers will recognise each product.

I would also think as an investment it would be wise to hold on to this for a while, maybe 5 years or more. The long term trend of silver is a gentle upward slope but there is a lot of volitility in the short and medium term. If you are able to stomach those peaks and dips then do get a stack.

I first purchased silver in mid 2016 and so saw a steady decline in its currency price over a three-year period. Being able to wait it out and seen the currency price rise was a relief to a new investor. 

The petition is here, it needs 10,000 people to get any attention, but currently has only 299, (300 when my confirmation email comes).

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/575122

Sadly, another 9,700 people seems unlikely without a lot of promotion....... 😢

(FWIW - the previous 2 similar petitions only got 30 signatures)

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

1 hour ago, SilverApe said:

I presume you live in the UK, so it would make sense to buy the coin of the nation you live and work in. This aids in its recognition but also that fact that those coins may have tax and sales benefits. Brits are CGT free. The Royal Mint states:

There is however a VAT premium that comes with the purchase but I believe there is a petition with parliament to have this ended. In the meantime VAT still stands.

If you want silver purely for value, then it would be advisable to buy as many troy ounces as you can for the £5k. Counting in ounces would be the goal and so this might mean picking up a stash of buy-back silver, bars, or more niche products. It ultimately doesn't matter as silver buyers will recognise each product.

I would also think as an investment it would be wise to hold on to this for a while, maybe 5 years or more. The long term trend of silver is a gentle upward slope but there is a lot of volitility in the short and medium term. If you are able to stomach those peaks and dips then do get a stack.

I first purchased silver in mid 2016 and so saw a steady decline in its currency price over a three-year period. Being able to wait it out and seen the currency price rise was a relief to a new investor.

Thanks SilverApe for the detailed advice.

I am definitely in it for the longterm, am sure is more wise than keeping savings in fiat.

Cheers

C.

1 hour ago, Coverte said:

The petition is here, it needs 10,000 people to get any attention, but currently has only 299, (300 when my confirmation email comes).

image.thumb.png.94770a1f1a7308b97baf7e2d4d455475.png

5 hours ago, sunshine said:

I have no silver & looking to invest £5k mainly so I can have some coins to trade in case of emergency.

Would buying 2021 Britannia's be a wise move, or silly idea. Or should I buy different coins.

Not really looking to collect coins, just want them for their value.

Any opinion on best way to invest appreciated.

I was going to say: https://www.chards.co.uk/1kg-silver-coin-minty/1213?

With premiums from 20% to 22% including VAT, but it looks like we sold them all (since yesterday).

Chards

57 minutes ago, sunshine said:

Thanks SilverApe for the detailed advice.

I am definitely in it for the longterm, am sure is more wise than keeping savings in fiat.

Cheers

C.

image.thumb.png.94770a1f1a7308b97baf7e2d4d455475.png

2 hours ago, Coverte said:

So, we should club together and send David Cameron a monster box of silver Britannias, then I feel sure he would lobby for the cause. 🙂

Chards

Great, that's the way to go; anyone with Social Media may want to consider adding a link to whatever medium they use to make this absurdity extinct........

Silver Petition.jpg

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

6 hours ago, sunshine said:

Best to stick to well known bullion - UK Britannia, Canadian Maple, American Eagle, Austrian Philharmonic, Chinese Panda and a few others.
Usually the newer issues are cheaper as the earlier dates become more of a collectors item but not always the case.
Check out what each coin would cost you assuming you buy full tubes i.e 20 or 25 according to the mint.
Include any VAT and shipping then place a wanted in the UK trade section stating your target price and see who responds.
I could certainly supply £5k of the above but depends on your realistic target price as some buyers still look back six months rather than at current prices.

Hi, @sunshine,

If you are not a collector and your objective is only to preserve your money, my advice is to go for bullion bars low premium. The best price per oz is 100oz bar, but are a little difficult to sell them on private market and the dealers will pay you back only spot price, generating for you a huge pain in your pocket.

The best option for someone like you are 1kg silver bar. You can find them easy at this moment at £780 each, ( around £24.25/oz )with VAT and shipping included in this price. Are easy to sell them today on private market around £750-££760 each, so the eventual loss if you are in immediate need to sell is not huge. Go more for generic bars, not big and exquisite brands.

My personal option is 500g bar, very versatile in my opinion  (because are easy to be consistent in monthly buying, easy to stack and easy to sell ), at today price around £405 each ( 25.27/oz )with VAT and shipping included in this price.I

It is not necessary to pay a huge premium for silver coins, even are shiny and beautiful. This premium will not be easy to recover when the time to sell will come.

Another option ( my preferred one ) is to accumulate how much possible from second hand market sterling silver at spot price, 0% premium and british old currency .500 and .925 silver.  These always will be easy to sell in the future.

I hope to be useful for you my advice. When I've started this game, of course I was buying only high premium coins, but I've understood quick how is wiser  to buy more.

Anyway, welcome in this select club!

Happy stacking!

Stefan.

Just now, Brett79 said:

Where would you recommend buying the 500g or 1kg bars?

There are more dealers who are selling. I am only a stacker, not affiliate to any of them, only looking every day at the best deal.

A good option today is 

https://www.bairdmint.com/products/1kg-silver-cast-bar

https://www.bairdmint.com/products/500g-silver-cast-bar

but I'd advise you to check again online all major dealers when you are buying, because you can find another good deals of the day.

Cheers!

Stefan.

311 now, but i dont think we will get 10,000 ... and tbh if there were 10,000 silver stackers in the uk there would be no stock anywhere... ever... 😂

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

56 minutes ago, Gordy said:

311 now, but i dont think we will get 10,000 ... and tbh if there were 10,000 silver stackers in the uk there would be no stock anywhere... ever... 😂

I agree, especially with Sunak and his EU and USA counterparts spending money printed out of fresh air, like all Gov'ts currently - it's all going to end spectacularly badly.