• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

UK Pre-Decimal Silver Thread...

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Some recent pick ups in the last few weeks. For the junk silver stash. I'm working on getting £5 face in Vicky Young Head crowns, and £5 face in William IV.

The 1831 sixpence has probably been dipped badly at some point.

A nice surprise was the 1836 half crown, the reverse has been struck mis-aligned, it is rotated to the angle you can see. The seller never stated it as such and I guess never noticed.

IMG_20220529_172450.jpg

IMG_20220529_172427.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/12/2021 at 14:23, Booky586 said:

Some nice sixpences. First one is George II, 1757. Then a Victorian 1887 with variety I over R and lastly another 1887 with variety R over V.

1757.thumb.jpg.62641e6e00f02277ac0626185dfae21f.jpg

S3-all.thumb.jpg.67a3e060cd453b3e58198385a3da4687.jpg

1081419646_1887IoverR.jpg.1f8234a7d52b519ad122e2f896810a7e.jpg

S2-all.thumb.jpg.c79252d37cc648335932a99c3c367d09.jpg

821322848_1887RoverV.jpg.2b49cca5967f78f3fcae0e0d366df074.jpg

I spent a couple of minutes looking for "I over R", only to discover you meant "R over I"

😎

Chards

2 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

I spent a couple of minutes looking for "I over R", only to discover you meant "R over I"

😎

No, I really did mean "I over R". There's also an "R over I" which is a different variety, just to confuse matters more:

http://www.michael-coins.co.uk/sx 1887 I over R.htm

16 minutes ago, Booky586 said:

No, I really did mean "I over R". There's also an "R over I" which is a different variety, just to confuse matters more:

http://www.michael-coins.co.uk/sx 1887 I over R.htm

Yes, it all looks quite confusing. Must have all been after the annual die-sinkers party.

Your photo still appears to be "R over I" though.

Chards

• 3 months later...

Hello All, 

I was wondering how everyone stores theirs by date, by Monarch and with say 1920 to 1946 are there key dates and coins everyone should look for?

I also have a few coins with verdigris (green) on what do other do about this if any thing?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What would this be worth? Under microscope.  Looks pretty good condition, Ob VF, Rev VF?

WIN_20221125_16_19_11_Pro.jpg

WIN_20221125_16_19_25_Pro.jpg

WIN_20221125_16_19_51_Pro.jpg

WIN_20221125_16_20_01_Pro.jpg

Edited by Mox

Mox Metals Logo Small.jpg  moxmetals.co.uk

Ethically sourced, 100% recycled .999 silver bars & other precious metal coins, bars and collectables.

(Mox, crowned The Silver Forums number one hairy chest in the Northwest - as voted for by @CazLikesCoins, a lady who's seen more than her fair share, allegedly...)

• 2 months later...
58 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

Best design, 1902/1916 for the shape of the shield…

Do you realise that they are actually two very different designs?

The most obvious feature is the beaded circle on the Edward VII ones that is absent of the George V examples.

The less obvious (but more important difference when grading) is that the George V design is slightly concave, whereas the Edward VII design is flat. That means the Edward coins wear evenly across the whole surface but the George ones wear around the garter first.

I prefer the George V version of the two as the concave dish-shape really brings out the shield.

It's my favourite half crown design.

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/10/2022 at 13:25, Mphys said:

Hello All, 

I was wondering how everyone stores theirs by date, by Monarch and with say 1920 to 1946 are there key dates and coins everyone should look for?

I just store in buckets or monster boxes for ease of lugging it around though it's still a pain. 

You could make rolls and wrap in paper 

10 hours ago, modofantasma said:

I just store in buckets or monster boxes for ease of lugging it around though it's still a pain. 

You could make rolls and wrap in paper 

To be honest I was suppose to sell all my pre 46 coins about 4 weeks ago and never got round to it. Now not the best time to sell :( and have 10kg to get rid of

9 minutes ago, Mphys said:

To be honest I was suppose to sell all my pre 46 coins about 4 weeks ago and never got round to it. Now not the best time to sell :( and have 10kg to get rid of

It'll come back one day. Do you have to sell it all in one go? Could average out perhaps 

3 minutes ago, modofantasma said:

It'll come back one day. Do you have to sell it all in one go? Could average out perhaps 

I don't need to sell really I just wanted to buy some more hold and 999.9 silver

20 minutes ago, Mphys said:

Blimey 10kg that's a fair quantity! Is that about £100 face?

I only have about £31 face. From memory I think every £5 face is about 450-500g give or take.

I was aiming for about £50 in total, but decided that although it's close to spot to buy, it takes up a lot of room! So I'm all in on sterling now.

Key dates from 1920 to 1946 will depend a little bit by denomination.

As a general rule for shillings, florins and halfcrowns - 1924, 1925 and 1926 are scarce or rare, especially 1925 for florins and halfcrowns

1932 is scarce/rare for florins

1930 is scarce/rare for halfcrowns

1923 is scarce for sixpences, I think that's the only date to look out for on those coins

1928, 1930, 1942, 1943 and particularly 1944 are the dates to look out for on silver threepences

If you find a 1945 silver threepence, you will be very rich indeed!