• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Bars Photo Thread...

• 1 month later...

Historical means old Degussa. Degussa was a German precious metals refinery (among other business fields) since before 1900. Degussa used to be a household name in regards to gold and silver. The precious metal business was sold to Umicore somewhere after 2000. The Degussa name has been sold around 2010, the new company became one of the largest precious metal dealers in Germany.

So in regards to Degussa bars we think of three types:

Old Degussa bars, produced by the original Degussa refinery - these bars have a characteristic "coffin" form, as can be seen in the photo (more pronounced on larger bars).

Umicore bars, which are identical or very close to old Degussa bars (see here and here).

The New Degussa does not produce it's own bars but has bars produced by other refineries, stamped as Degussa - like Valcambi (earlier) and Argor Heraeus (later). These bars are more flat and less "coffin" like.

In my eyes: the old Degussa form is the most attractive due to it's chunkiness. While Umicore will deliver the form, the Umicore logo is very modern and industrial, while the Degussa logo is more classical. Then new Degussa bars are nothing like the old ones. I own some of those new bars (see somewhere above in this thread), but I'm not a fan.

So, I do not know how old this bar is, chances are it could be a mere 15 years old, though the serial number makes that unlikely. Most important to me is the old form, an old Degussa has always been on my list.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 19/03/2022 at 10:14, LawrenceChard said:

Is this a coin which looks like a bar, or a bar which thinks its a coin?

2000Noble1SovereignGold5GramBarPre-Ownedobvcrop.thumb.jpg.42bb2d352777dffaaf118baa33118121.jpg

I just noticed the "r" and "n" in Government seem to run together to read Govemment, which is how some people pronounce it.

Could it be that the designer / engraver thought it had a double "m"?

2000Noble1SovereignGold5GramBarPre-Ownedrevcrop.thumb.jpg.e56da68c046a69495f4b098ee88436d1.jpg

2000 Isle of Man 1 Sovereign

5 Grams 9999 Fine Gold

More likely die wear, I should think.  The rest of the lettering looks a bit rough and blobby, and the I in the sovereign wording at the bottom looks like there might have been a bit of crud stuck in the die.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...