• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

New 2022 Sovereign proof design and realease date

foinikas

Hi all and Happy Easter to everyone! 🐣

Does anyone have any idea when the 2022 proof gold sovereign will be out?
Any speculation if they will have a new design or if it is going to be the classic Benedetto Pistrucci? 🙂

Far too early to speculate on design as the proof sovs are usually released right at the end of the year. The year 2022 will be an important Jubilee year for Her Maj and will probably be recognised with a one off design as per 2002 and 2012

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

2022 will be first platinum jubilee in the entire British History. I would not expect another privy mark on boring pattern again, Time for RM to empty our pocket again.😉

I would lay odds all day long that it will definitely be a one-off special design.

Assuming Her Maj makes it, of course.

I hope they do the special design for the bullion sovereigns as well, like they did in 2002 and 2012.  Even better from my point of view if they continue making bullion double sovereigns.  And a quintuple would be very nice indeed - assuming the design is good.

I am saving the pennies in anticipation of shelling out for a bullion single, bullion double, bullion or BU quintuple, and maybe a special platinum bullion coin of some description.  I probably won't be in the market for proofs.

2 hours ago, StackemHigh said:

I would like that to be true. It would be a bit like the £20 coin though. Except the price tag!

I would buy one, too. If, however, platinum sovs would become an annual feature, I would be pi***d off.

A Platinum Sovereign sounds amazing... but in theory only... because according to traditional specifications, it would not technically be a Sovereign if it wasn’t made of gold.

Of course, that doesn’t mean they can’t come up with a new specification for Sovereigns. 😬

7 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Of course, that doesn’t mean they can’t come up with a new specification for Sovereigns.

trouble is the platinum version would be smaller than the gold, so no good in my eyes😁

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

15 hours ago, auleAboutNumismatics said:

Platinum element for Platinum Jubilee would be nice. 

How about 91.6% of gold and the remaining as platinum (instead of copper), if it is even possible... :D

I presume it would be possible, and I think I like the idea. But surely using platinum as essentially filler would be a little ostentatious. Platinum inlay/privy instead perhaps?

42 minutes ago, TheShinyStuff said:

Platinum inlay/privy instead perhaps?

Oh god I hope not 🤢 (imho)

Call me boring but I just hope they release a well thought out special reverse for the occasion. Privy marks, matte finishes and Royal Mint diversity & inclusion box ticking can all go hang for this one.

Whatever it is going to be most likely we should expect some spectacular design/s this year.

Little bird told me (in fact shown me) some other designs for this year coinage, from other mints.

Keep your pockets ready because it is going to be one festive YEAR for everyone :)

Best of luck to all.

5 hours ago, Shep said:

Oh god I hope not 🤢 (imho)

Call me boring but I just hope they release a well thought out special reverse for the occasion. Privy marks, matte finishes and Royal Mint diversity & inclusion box ticking can all go hang for this one.

Agreed! Anything other than a proper redesign - special portrait or special reverse - just feels lazy now as there have been too many of these variations since 2017.

2022 will be a very interesting year, one I suppose you could say we’ve waited 10 years for. No doubt there will be a SOTD sovereign to mark HM The Queens 70th anniversary on the throne but the bullion design should be interesting.

They could very well do a platinum £5 crown.

They did a sterling silver £5 crown for Prince George’s birth in 2013 with St. George and the Dragon on the reverse. While it wasn’t technically a Sovereign, it pretty much had the same look (obverse and reverse) except for FIVE POUNDS written on the reverse.

https://news.coinupdate.com/behind-the-scenes-look-at-the-royal-birth-five-pound-silver-crown-2087/

Archived