• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 13,000+ forum members.

Hi 

I've recently become interested in melting and bar making. There is a lot of reference on copper but not so much on tin. Tin is currently 3 times the price of copper and has a lower melting point, so would be generally simple for a novice to achieve. 

Is tin harder to find?

Has anyone looked in to this? 

Hi, @Bigmarc

Here in UK pewter was a very popular material, a substitute of silver for poor people. Pewter is a very versatile alloy, having as first ingredient tin up to 99%.

Can be found very cheap at charity shops when are opened again as candlestick, goblet, picture frame, etc.

On ebay are a lot of good offers:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/All-English-Pewter-92-tin-content-premium-scrap-1-6kg-for-casting/184680267069?hash=item2affcd3d3d:g:ME4AAOSwDcNespQ~

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114705077703?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-153316-527457-8&mkcid=2&itemid=114705077703&targetid=4584757334742652&device=t&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=398826044&mkgroupid=1298523492138339&rlsatarget=pla-4584757334742652&abcId=9300500&merchantid=87779&msclkid=d52f04708785193f6f72641abc5f5c28

You can play a lot without expensive toys.😊😁

Keep us updated, please.

Cheers!

Stefan.

if you want to make money I would suggest looking in to  tin miners. the commodities super cycle we are in and tin a is good one. If you are considering to produce its going to cost you more and more.....

Edited by HerefordBullyun

There was a man called Reg - Who went with a girl in a hedge - Along came his wife with a big carving knife And cut off his meat and two veg!

My Trader feedback is 50 just like my IQ - which is the equivalent of a boiled potato!

I neither have the time, nor the crayons to explain this to you, as I'm too busy eating said crayons....

You can download Mike Maloney's Gold Silver book free here https://pages.goldsilver.com/freebook

10 hours ago, stefffana said:

Hi, @Bigmarc

Here in UK pewter was a very popular material, a substitute of silver for poor people. Pewter is a very versatile alloy, having as first ingredient tin up to 99%.

Can be found very cheap at charity shops when are opened again as candlestick, goblet, picture frame, etc.

On ebay are a lot of good offers:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/All-English-Pewter-92-tin-content-premium-scrap-1-6kg-for-casting/184680267069?hash=item2affcd3d3d:g:ME4AAOSwDcNespQ~

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114705077703?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-153316-527457-8&mkcid=2&itemid=114705077703&targetid=4584757334742652&device=t&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=398826044&mkgroupid=1298523492138339&rlsatarget=pla-4584757334742652&abcId=9300500&merchantid=87779&msclkid=d52f04708785193f6f72641abc5f5c28

You can play a lot without expensive toys.😊😁

Keep us updated, please.

Cheers!

Stefan.

Thanks.

Just wanted to dip my toe in for a bit of fun. There seems to be loads of info on aluminium and copper melting but not so much on tin. My thought process is I would only have to reach melting point of tin and extract the remaining metal. The price seems a massive difference just wondered why it hasn't been explored.

10 hours ago, HerefordBullyun said:

if you want to make money I would suggest looking in to  tin miners. the commodities super cycle we are in and tin a is good one. If you are considering to produce its going to cost you more and more.....

Hello 

Yes I've been following one of the other threads that you post on. I find it really interesting but I have been burnt on more than one occasion investing in shares. I seem to be the kinda guy that only seems to make money buy working 12 hours a day. The rest is just fun money.

Out of interest what platform do you use? Just in case I dip my toe in again.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Bigmarc said:

Hello 

Yes I've been following one of the other threads that you post on. I find it really interesting but I have been burnt on more than one occasion investing in shares. I seem to be the kinda guy that only seems to make money buy working 12 hours a day. The rest is just fun money.

Out of interest what platform do you use? Just in case I dip my toe in again.

Cheers

I use free trade the reason being, i buy and hold shares long term, non commission but not really for trade analysis.

But the beauty is you have an isa with it and its cheap. If you are swing trader I wouldnt recommend it 

There was a man called Reg - Who went with a girl in a hedge - Along came his wife with a big carving knife And cut off his meat and two veg!

My Trader feedback is 50 just like my IQ - which is the equivalent of a boiled potato!

I neither have the time, nor the crayons to explain this to you, as I'm too busy eating said crayons....

You can download Mike Maloney's Gold Silver book free here https://pages.goldsilver.com/freebook

5 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

I use free trade the reason being, i buy and hold shares long term, non commission but not really for trade analysis.

But the beauty is you have an isa with it and its cheap. If you are swing trader I wouldnt recommend it 

Thanks 

I may have another go one day. I was interested in the uranium side of things. The problem I have is with the actual company's, just because they dig it out of the ground doesn't necessarily mean they make money. One law suit could kill it all.

Just now, Bigmarc said:

Thanks 

I may have another go one day. I was interested in the uranium side of things. The problem I have is with the actual company's, just because they dig it out of the ground doesn't necessarily mean they make money. One law suit could kill it all.

The legislation is very tight and very well monitonered so I wouldnt let that put you off buddy.Uranium like silver is a sleeping tiger.

1 hour ago, Bigmarc said:

Thanks 

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/one-step-away-esg-why-uranium-stocks-are-about-soar

Dont miss the boat

On 05/04/2021 at 13:42, HerefordBullyun said:

Hello bull 

Just want to pick your brains if that's ok.

I've been doing a little research on the uranium front. I have been looking at a few mines. There are companies that mine more than just uranium. Now to get enough exposure on this metal does this matter? 

Say for instance they mainly mine copper and uranium is a secondary product.

39 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

Hello bull 

Just want to pick your brains if that's ok.

I've been doing a little research on the uranium front. I have been looking at a few mines. There are companies that mine more than just uranium. Now to get enough exposure on this metal does this matter? 

Say for instance they mainly mine copper and uranium is a secondary product.

There is a uranium, thread its called urainium talk to me and also a green ivesdtments thread ahve look in the seatch bar

I wouldnt say so but its mutiple factors market cap, is the complany debt free

I prefer miners that specilaize but no harm in miners that do mutiple. Amur for example which I am going in. I am in camceo and nexgen for urainum

1 minute ago, HerefordBullyun said:

There is a uranium, thread its called urainium talk to me and also a green ivesdtments thread ahve look in the seatch bar

I wouldnt say so but its mutiple factors market cap, is the complany debt free

I prefer miners that specilaize but no harm in miners that do mutiple. Amur for example which I am going in. I am in camceo and nexgen for urainum

Cheers I will have a look. BHP was one of the ones I was looking at. Seems to be the second largest after cameco. I will head over to the tread.

• 1 month later...

back to tin again

I asked my local scrap merchant and he said he would buy pewter, but needed a sample

as early forms had lead, i think it is also in non food items like candlesticks

he wouldnt even quote a price till he saw some

has anyone received a reliable price ?

or a way to tell if its lead free without an expensive testing gun?

as for removing the adulterants to get pure tin

i think its either toxic chemicals or cuperation

On 05/04/2021 at 12:04, HerefordBullyun said:

i buy and hold shares long term

I am glad I sold Afri tin, I made a decent 40% profit from that. 
I will buy it back if it has a sell off & repeat the process ;)

On 10/04/2021 at 20:46, Bigmarc said:

I've been doing a little research on the uranium front. 

It's a hot commodity now. I was hoping no one would notice it until next year, but I think it will get sold off at some point as its a long term one that. 
Im buying at some point & especially in a stock market collapse. Kazamatron (or what ever its called) is good. Russian Based and a 6% dividend I think? 
If Im holding a stock for 5-10 years then I want to get paid for the privilege LOL.

I dont know how much Uranium BHP or Rio Tinto mine, but they also pay a hefty dividend. 

Edited by Stacktastic