• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

New-silver-bie

Hello everyone,

Nicola, Newbie from Europe, actually in Canada.

I’m totally a beginner in the silver world, with only some minor experience in antique coins.

I’m happy to join your community, hope to become a valid member of the forum, learning all I can from you all!

• Founder & Administrator

Hello Nicola, welcome to The Silver Forum :) 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

On 28/03/2021 at 14:43, ChrisSilver said:

Hello Nicola, welcome to The Silver Forum :) 

On 28/03/2021 at 14:47, CadmiumGreen said:

Nicola, Welcome aboard The Silver Forum!

On 28/03/2021 at 14:52, HerefordBullyun said:

Welcome to the forum.

The best place for knowledge and fun in the PMs world!

On 28/03/2021 at 15:47, trp said:

Hello and welcome to the forum, Nicola :) 

Thank you very much for the warm welcome guys, nice to meet you all ! 

On 03/04/2021 at 20:37, ScentSationCandles said:

I started in Kindergarten. Fortunately, I was delusional enough to think I was good (except when I finished something) so I kept at it.

Well, the quality of the work always depend on many factors and often reflect on each perspective lol 
Even when it’s not considerable “good” by the average standard of present days, May be a great work in the society of tomorrow.
May I ask what kind of genre are you writing about?

5 hours ago, Hyperion said:

Well, the quality of the work always depend on many factors and often reflect on each perspective lol 

Agreed, if quality is a concept perceived entirely in the mind of the individual.

Even when it’s not considerable “good” by the average standard of present days, May be a great work in the society of tomorrow.

Well, maybe. I've read poorly reviewed books that were incredible. Sometimes readers dislike what they can't comprehend. I've also read poorly written books that were well-received. In fact I've been deterred from books with positive reviews and drawn to books with negative reviews, especially those containing skillfully written sentences that are given as examples of poor writing. Stamping Butterflies by Jon Courtenay Grimwood comes immediately to mind, an extraordinary book. When I bought it was rated 3 stars on Amazon.

Of course one example of the above statement that comes immediately to mind would be Moby **** and that would be a definite favorite.

May I ask what kind of genre are you writing about?

I guess everything. I have a bit of everything on my bookshelf. These days however, I have struggled to finish reading novels. I have about a half dozen novels I haven't finished reading, including The Terror by Dan Simmons. I know they are all extraordinary books and that it's just me but real life seems so much more fascinating right now. I don't really enjoy most movies any more either, but I don't care if a book is a particular genre, just if it is written with skill and has believable characters. These days examples of authors that hold my attention best are Napoleon Hill and Rudolf Steiner, but I haven't written anything like those examples, just fiction.

20 hours ago, ScentSationCandles said:

Well, maybe. I've read poorly reviewed books that were incredible. Sometimes readers dislike what they can't comprehend. I've also read poorly written books that were well-received. In fact I've been deterred from books with positive reviews and drawn to books with negative reviews, especially those containing skillfully written sentences that are given as examples of poor writing. Stamping Butterflies by Jon Courtenay Grimwood comes immediately to mind, an extraordinary book. When I bought it was rated 3 stars on Amazon.

Totally agree...one of the most interesting example in my opinion is Umberto Eco.
In my humble opinion a truly remarkable writer, popular but not to a wide audience.

I heard several comments (including some from quite well established and popular authors), trying to suggest a Dan Brown was a way better writer than Eco. 
beside personal opinions on that (everybody has rightly different tastes), I cannot see how those two writers can even be compared...it’s like to compare Mark Twain and JK ROWLING. 
I cannot speak about the English translation of his books, since I’ve read them in the original language, but the extend of researches required for his books, the plot, the elaborated twists of history, events, wording and grammar is so impressive than I really have a hard time comparing that with a more “commercial” book.

unfortunately as you rightly say all these feedbacks and reviews are often biased: most of the readers follow more a trend and a nice looking/sounding advertiser pitching than the real content of it to its full extend. 

I don’t want to compare myself to neither of the above quoted authors...since I’m neither a professional writer (according to my personal standards most of the published authors are indeed “authors” and shouldn’t be called /or call themselves professional writers...) nor a published author, but one of the book I self published showed me how people leaving some of the feedback were not even reading the title itself.
One guy after purchasing and reading one of my eBook said: “nice book, not bad, but definitely only for real beginners”.
stunned me quite a lot since the title itself says : an introduttive guide to... and it’s repeated everywhere it’s for beginner lol 
beside that, since I’m a professional in the topic I was writing about in the book, I’m surprised somebody would call these informations “for beginners”, since I took over 15 years of practical experience and education to acquire these info.

20 hours ago, ScentSationCandles said:

These days examples of authors that hold my attention best are Napoleon Hill and Rudolf Steiner, but I haven't written anything like those examples, just fiction.

Is there a place where would be possible to read some samples of your fictional books? 

ps: I apologize for my far from fluent English...I’m learning it :) 

3 hours ago, Hyperion said:

Is there a place where would be possible to read some samples of your fictional books? 

If you want I can email you a few pages of something, if you want to message me with your email. There was something I completed last month. I was going to submit it, but it was the only autobiographical thing I ever wrote and as a whole I decided it was way too personal and I couldn't excise that element without the whole thing capsizing, but I could email you the first few pages if you liked. 

I never thought Dan Brown was a good writer, though I felt The Lost Symbol was passable. What I liked best about the Langdon books was that they could spark some interesting conversations, especially with JW's that want to debate you. I wished I would skipped his first book though. It was atrocious. The most predictable book I ever read and other reasons as well.

I enjoyed the Harry Potter books too. Not great literature, although 4, 5 and 7 have their moments, but they were very entertaining.

I personally never thought well enough about publishing through Amazon to do so myself. Quality of published work is low enough through the big five, let alone POD.

it’s like to compare Mark Twain and JK ROWLING. 

If French is your first language, then you have a very good grasp. The only change I would make in the above phrase is "comparing" instead of "to compare."

I've enjoyed some of Mark Train, particularly Tom Sawyer The Mysterious Stranger are my favorites. The only book by him that I did not enjoy was Joan of Arc. It was just far too modern for my tastes considering the source material, but it was the book he felt was his masterpiece. Huckleberry Finn did take a few years to grow on me. I was 9 when I read that though, so my 9-year-old opinion doesn't count.

One guy after purchasing and reading one of my eBook said: “nice book, not bad, but definitely only for real beginners”.
stunned me quite a lot since the title itself says : an introduttive guide to... and it’s repeated everywhere it’s for beginner lol 

It seems like I've seen a lot of that kind of review since the advent of print on demand. Maybe participation trophies have something to do with it too.

But you might want to subtract one of those t's.

On 07/04/2021 at 16:37, ScentSationCandles said:

If you want I can email you a few pages of something, if you want to message me with your email. There was something I completed last month. I was going to submit it, but it was the only autobiographical thing I ever wrote and as a whole I decided it was way too personal and I couldn't excise that element without the whole thing capsizing, but I could email you the first few pages if you liked. 

Definitely, I’ll be glad to read some of your works. I’ll send a PM with my email. 

I

I never thought Dan Brown was a good writer, though I felt The Lost Symbol was passable. What I liked best about the Langdon books was that they could spark some interesting conversations, especially with JW's that want to debate you. I wished I would skipped his first book though. It was atrocious. The most predictable book I ever read and other reasons as well.

I’ve quite a list of such kind of books lol I read an interesting fantasy saga :the dwarves saga and the altar saga...some are quite interesting, some characters and ideas quite smart...but the guy get more and more commercial (guess thanks to the publisher asking for more page filler kind of work..) and now it’s predictable as the sun rising, and only a repetition of sentences for the sake of making a 700pages tome...

I enjoyed the Harry Potter books too. Not great literature, although 4, 5 and 7 have their moments, but they were very entertaining.

Agreed on that...I guess it’s quite a good analysis...not great literature, but quick entertainment as a time passer.

I personally never thought well enough about publishing through Amazon to do so myself. Quality of published work is low enough through the big five, let alone POD.

You’re quite right, quality I’d definitely decreasing, and with over 1 million titles published in USA only every year, it’s hard even just to understand if the book worth the paper. 
but, since it’s quite hard to get accepted by one of the big five , or even simply find a literary agent, self publishing can be sometimes one of the few alternative to get your book out on the market.
definitely that must be associated to a strong marketing otherwise it’s literally to throw a coin in a ocean hoping for a wish to be granted lol

If French is your first language, then you have a very good grasp. The only change I would make in the above phrase is "comparing" instead of "to compare."

It seems like I've seen a lot of that kind of review since the advent of print on demand. Maybe participation trophies have something to do with it too.

Thank you ! It’s Italian, but it’s definitely close enough to French :) and since my place is really close to France our dialect has lot of similarities with French 
thanks for the tip !

quite right lol looks like many people want to simply express their opinion and making it a dogma. Let’s not even talk about the people leaving fake review of any sort...

On 09/04/2021 at 00:31, Hyperion said:

Thank you ! It’s Italian, but it’s definitely close enough to French :) and since my place is really close to France our dialect has lot of similarities with French 
thanks for the tip!

Well, if you aren't just being kind, the only clues I had to go on were you use of language and that French would be the second big language of Canada. Of course you weren't native. Occam's Razor be damned! LOL.

On 09/04/2021 at 00:31, Hyperion said:

but, since it’s quite hard to get accepted by one of the big five , or even simply find a literary agent, self publishing can be sometimes one of the few alternative to get your book out on the market.

Actually had an agent once. For a few days. Apparently asked too many questions. He wouldn't even respond after I sent him a Christmas card. But then, just a few years after it would have been published, I would have been embarrassed with the quality.

If you want me to correct your English for continued improvement, I can do that, but only if you want me to.

Did you receive the email? I actually made a few corrections before I hit send. It was a first draft. A couple I'd overlooked. Real wincers.

8 hours ago, ScentSationCandles said:

Well, if you aren't just being kind, the only clues I had to go on were you use of language and that French would be the second big language of Canada. Of course you weren't native. Occam's Razor be damned! LOL.

Actually had an agent once. For a few days. Apparently asked too many questions. He wouldn't even respond after I sent him a Christmas card. But then, just a few years after it would have been published, I would have been embarrassed with the quality.

If you want me to correct your English for continued improvement, I can do that, but only if you want me to.

Did you receive the email? I actually made a few corrections before I hit send. It was a first draft. A couple I'd overlooked. Real wincers.

Very logical guess lol but I’m actually on the west coast, where....as I can see French is a topic not many people are familiar with 😄

Well, even just to get a response is something that deserve a congratulation...not a small task for what I experienced:) 
Some of the agents really looks like very picky/finicky/severely opinionated kind of people lol
but I can’t say I don’t see why: it’s such a competitive market and so difficult to screen and understand that I can understand they need to create their own niche if they want to see their name to emerge and gain some reputations in their circle.
I listed all the American and uk agents and I must say I was impressed to see they were a veeeery small number, especially if you were aiming to a specific genre.
I’m  already happy they’ve replied me ... especially since my book is definitely not the new “divine comedy” lol

that’s a very kind offer, thank you, very much appreciated :) absolutely, it would be really nice: I practice every day since my gf is Canadian but I’m assisting to how English is getting every day more and more divided in “dialects” and real different languages. When I spoke a more proper British English here, I was hardly understood at all lol

no I didn’t receive it...I checked spam folder as well, I will send you an alternative email as PM, maybe it works better 

How did I miss this? An in-person tutor is better than I can offer. Besides you speak English much better than I speak (wasn't it?) Italian.

Something with the forum has gone awry. It took me a while to figure how to navigate. Everything is suddenly bigger and less refined, like a Digimon Alice in Wonderland. Did I drink her Aminita Tea? Wait. I guess I haven't shrunk.

If I understood accurately that you now have an agent, congratulations! That's awesome. If it were another "Divine Comedy" it wouldn't be published, unless you were already established. Agents focus, besides what they find interesting, on what they think is marketable. There are probably as many great books that don't survive the slush pile as those that do. An American author named Louis L'amour received more than a hundred rejections for first book before it went on to become a bestseller which, ironically, also is proof that agents are often not very good at judging what is marketable either.

I did see your later message that you found the email.

I hope the issue with the forum is resolved soon. It's not just on my computer but on my phone. With how everything is skewed, I cannot even figure out how to start a new topic to point out the issue.

Edited by ScentSationCandles

14 hours ago, ScentSationCandles said:

How did I miss this? An in-person tutor is better than I can offer. Besides you speak English much better than I speak (wasn't it?) Italian.

Something with the forum has gone awry. It took me a while to figure how to navigate. Everything is suddenly bigger and less refined, like a Digimon Alice in Wonderland. Did I drink her Aminita Tea? Wait. I guess I haven't shrunk.

If I understood accurately that you now have an agent, congratulations! That's awesome. If it were another "Divine Comedy" it wouldn't be published, unless you were already established. Agents focus, besides what they find interesting, on what they think is marketable. There are probably as many great books that don't survive the slush pile as those that do. An American author named Louis L'amour received more than a hundred rejections for first book before it went on to become a bestseller which, ironically, also is proof that agents are often not very good at judging what is marketable either.

I did see your later message that you found the email.

I hope the issue with the forum is resolved soon. It's not just on my computer but on my phone. With how everything is skewed, I cannot even figure out how to start a new topic to point out the issue.

It’s definitely lot of training and it’s much appreciated, but definitely loooot of stress too lol, it’s like to be at school 24/24 ...ehehe
but well that’s why they call it full immersion I guess )))

yep, same here, apologize for the delay....all the website was looking like a Morse code ....I couldn’t read nor access anything at all.

ah no, they simply replied to me...but no they didn’t accept my book eheheh
and after loooong research I found out my book is not exactly following the actual “trend” for this genre....so it would be quite hard to get an agent...but I’m working on the second volume....hopefully since my writing skills are slightly improving it will be more intriguing than the first one :)

you’re definitely right, lot of famous/popular/good writers got rejected hundreds of times....to my knowledge practically almost every famous one sooner or later got his share of rejection lol

ps: I finished reading your email....I sent it back...it was quite an interesting reading!

Edited by Hyperion

Every writer knows, it's not the first draft; it's all the drafts afterward. But listen to me. I spent less than two hours making edits on a whole 14k word document, of which I sent you about 20% of.

In order to break the mold, the manuscript has to be just familiar enough territory to be accepted. The editors need the map to be familiar enough to know where they're going before you can get them lost in it.

Especially since this is your first major work of fiction, you may want to wait till the whole series is complete. I know that will make for a long wait, but it will also give you the opportunity for another rewrite of a previous book after each current book is complete, which would also guarantee no reader will have to wait as long as those reading A Song of Ice and Fire. I think I read A Game of Thrones back in 2003. It's like, come on already!

PS. Reading aloud helps with editing too.