• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

A silver sovereign that's NOTHING whatsoever to do with The Royal Mint!!

47Ag79Au78Pt

So a banner add flashed up on my screen for the Mint's issue of, as they put it, "The World's First Silver Sovereign."  Curiosity got the better of me so I went for a look-see. (Click here for link)  Although it's pleasant looking and all, paying a tenner for 7.98g of 999 fine silver seems like quite a tall order at over 100% markup (and more if you include the £2.95 p&p).

Surely if we could buy lots of little silver coins (and these, like their golden siblings, are really tiny at 22mm) for a fiver or less, we'd have a really mobile, liquid, low-tariff precious metal currency that would fill a very useful gap below the 1Toz Britannia at 15-20 quid or thereabouts.  Call it corner shop cash!

Now I'm sure I'll be told that I'm missing the point and that like the Eltons and Queens and Paddingtons, these are intended for collecting purposes, but I wonder if low denomination, precious-metal legal tender would be quite popular.

Perhaps it's just that I like the thought of a pocket full of jangling little silver coins.

Thoughts?

Thanks all.  I've learned a thing today.  I totally overlooked the not so sneaky difference between "The London Mint" and "The Royal Mint," which with fresh eyes, now looks bloody stupid.  Also a quick search has flagged up quite a number of concerns that people have had with what might be construed as somewhat 'forceful marketing practises,' as well as an upheld complaint by the Advertising Standards Agency... and that's putting it lightly:  (London Mint Office Scam)

Phrases involving very long bargepoles spring to mind

Thanks to @Jimmock @Richym99 @BackyardBullion.

So can ANYONE just "reimagine," (as they put it) the sovereign and then sell it?  I'd imagine Royal Mint are a bit miffed!... and I've now got to work out how to change the title of this post.

• 47Ag79Au78Pt changed the title to A silver sovereign that's NOTHING whatsoever to do with The Royal Mint!!

The London Mint office (and others) were the subject of a rip off Britain episode a while back.

Take a look at this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0499cj9/player

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

2 hours ago, 47Ag79Au78Pt said:

Thanks all.  I've learned a thing today.  I totally overlooked the not so sneaky difference between "The London Mint" and "The Royal Mint," which with fresh eyes, now looks bloody stupid

The Royal Mint attempted to trademark the word "sovereign" for gold coins but it got rejected 

So companies are free to call things sovereigns but they're just tacky knock offs

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/03/2021 at 23:34, BackyardBullion said:

The London Mint office (and others) were the subject of a rip off Britain episode a while back.

Take a look at this:

I do feel bed for the guy in the video.. but i was in a similar position with the Westminster Collection about 12 years ago.. i was still living at home and had over £700 a month in "disposable income" I spent in the region of £1,250. On the " History of the Royal Family, colour portrait collection, which were gold plated and is a set of 40 coins.

I discovered some time after finishing the set that they are infact made from    cupronickel, the same alloy as the junk in pocket. 

Looking back, i only have one person to blame..MYSELF

Archived