• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Thanks Royal Mint

Cscratchy

Yeah biggest problem with bullion coins is they ship in tubes. So blemishes are very common - or worse yet, scuffs and scratches. These coins aren't really numismatics, but of course we prefer having the best looking bullion we can find. Americans are spoilt with their "LCS" Local Coin Shops :) I wish I could pop down the road to see coins before I buy them. Ah well.

It’s a  Royal Mint product and it bullion, most folk know the quality they are likely to expect, sad though that is. I would suggest you buy an encapsulated coin from  Perth Mint or similar if buying bullion and want quality.

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

I reckon its got something to do with our lack of exposure to precious metals. Don't really find it in the ground here. No one's going on any expeditions to Surrey to find gold or silver. Also our coins have been worthless for a long time aside from the coppers and the ones with silver aren't our regular legal tender anymore. Plus that stupid VAT on precious metals. 

2 hours ago, TutoredSoup232 said:

I reckon its got something to do with our lack of exposure to precious metals. Don't really find it in the ground here. No one's going on any expeditions to Surrey to find gold or silver. Also our coins have been worthless for a long time aside from the coppers and the ones with silver aren't our regular legal tender anymore. Plus that stupid VAT on precious metals. 

In Ireland it's worse - all gold found automatically belongs to the state. I so wish I could buy a little claim like they do in the US and spend weekends prospecting and sleeping under the stars  :)

22 minutes ago, Stackermatic said:

In Ireland it's worse - all gold found automatically belongs to the state. I so wish I could buy a little claim like they do in the US and spend weekends prospecting and sleeping under the stars  :)

I think they have the same rule here, wouldn't give it to them if I found any though. Thieving b*stards 

Sadly it's bullion as stated, bought 10 and 1 had a blemish, been fortunate, first one I've had in over a year of purchasing. I prefer RM or RMC coins, though I do have a stack of US coins (inheritance), won't buy Aussie or Swiss. Local shops would be great but doesn't seem to be a thing on this side of the pond, unless you are in London or able to checkout the coin fairs. At least I didn't have to pay VAT as we ares still part of the European Market here. Finally a benefit for us, loads of sellers on Ebay won't ship here from England or GB.

I wanted to see if anyone is getting worse 2021 Britannias from the Royal Mint recently.  I've averaged about 3/4 marked coins per tube since August 2020.  Recently I received a tube in which 18 were marked, many were a real mess, deep marks and scratches including one with a small chunk out the front.  I got the tube replaced by the dealer and the replacement tube has arrived with pretty much every coin in the tube marked, many that are a real mess.  Think I'm done with Britannias for a while.

Yes, not britannias specifically, but I've had to return almost everything they've been sending out. Dents, dings, scratches, weird marks, my last robin hood coin looked like someone had been trying to chop down his branch. A BU coin had marks on the back which looked like it had been scraped across something like a file before being packaged. They even had the cheek to put the QC sticker in the box. 

Their excuse is "well its just bullion quality". Whenever I've checked what "bullion quality" means its always related to strike and the finish and not big dents straight from the mint. No other mint seems to think that bullion quality means "as little care as possible" 

Thank you for sharing that.  Like you say for me I've also got those kinds of marks.  Not just that almost every coin in the tube has a mark but all the marks are worse, like they've been scraped across something.  I found this quote recently, perhaps it fits with other people's experience as well:

"Incompetence or Ignorance?

In the opinion of our director, Lawrence Chard, the Royal Mint produces and sells the poorest quality bullion and proof coins of any of the world's mints, yet generally seeks to get the highest price for them. Other mints manage to pack bullion coins without putting fingerprints on them and check if they are up to bullion standard.

We think they are smugly sitting on and abusing their monopoly of the UK market, especially considering British coins, being sterling, are exempt from capital gains tax. Such things should be an embarrassment for the Mint, especially when compared to the quality of bullion coins from other world mints. But given the Mint seem to have little interest in coins in general and are content to ride off the back of their 800-year old ‘reputation’, we are not surprised that such incidents occur."

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/royal-mint-quality-control/919

Archived