• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Britannia 2021 UK Two Ounce Gold Proof Coin Royal Mint Page

I just looked at

"The Britannia 2021 UK Two-Ounce Gold Proof Coin
Limited Edition 50
Price:£4,485.00

on the Royal Mint website, but notice is claims

"MAXIMUM COIN MINTAGE    103"

153619965_TheBritannia2021UKTwo-OunceGoldProofCoinRoyalMintLimitedEdition50MAXIMUMCOINMINTAGE103.thumb.jpg.59d09c556719487d7855751cf758ffc1.jpg

It is merely an RM ****-up, or is this deliberately misleading?

Chards

1 minute ago, LawrenceChard said:

I just looked at

Limited Edition 50

153619965_TheBritannia2021UKTwo-OunceGoldProofCoinRoyalMintLimitedEdition50MAXIMUMCOINMINTAGE103.thumb.jpg.59d09c556719487d7855751cf758ffc1.jpg

" SCANDOULOUS"! In my opinion 

£2,240 £/ounce 

Despicable Me What GIF

When it gets to that price in the "REAL" world - I will flog 75% of my tiny stack!

This is just playing on the "FOMO" bunch!

I guess the number 50 is part of the description like series number 50 and not the mintage.
Maybe another "tits up" or "balls up" ( according to gender ) - remember the RM promoting their £20 to £100 legal tender silver coins that cannot be spent, other than settling a debt in court.
I would definitely say misleading but wouldn't pay that price for a 2 ounce anyhow even if it was made from Churchill's stolen Blenheim gold toilet.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I guess the number 50 is part of the description like series number 50 and not the mintage.
Maybe another "tits up" or "balls up" ( according to gender ) - remember the RM promoting their £20 to £100 legal tender silver coins that cannot be spent, other than settling a debt in court.
I would definitely say misleading but wouldn't pay that price for a 2 ounce anyhow even if it was made from Churchill's stolen Blenheim gold toilet.

Minions GIF

Trailer Ok GIF

1 hour ago, 5huggy said:

@LawrenceChard since your in "The KNOW"! 😉

IS GOLD THAT "SHORT" in supply ?

to warrant hicking R/Mint prices to such an extent!

No, but that price sounds to be normal to slightly low for an RM gold proof.

But it was the 2 different issue limits I was looking at. Which one is true, if either?

Chards

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I think most people reading "Limited Edition 50" will understand it to be the issue limit. If not, then it demonstrates extreme negligence in creating the page.

The recent 2 ounce gold Three Graces have been selling for around £25,000 to £30,000.

Chards

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

I think most people reading "Limited Edition 50" will understand it to be the issue limit. If not, then it demonstrates extreme negligence in creating the page.

The recent 2 ounce gold Three Graces have been selling for around £25,000 to £30,000.

I think a painting done by Churchill, the sort of art you would see pinned to a wall in any secondary school, went for £8 million.
Some people have too much spare cash and the world has gone mad over the Three Graces whatever the coin metal or weight.
I wonder what the sales director in the Royal Mint thinks when he /she goes home seeing the 5 to 20 times instant mark-ups on their already over-priced coins ?

56 minutes ago, Pete said:

Some people have too much spare cash and the world has gone mad over the Three Graces whatever the coin metal or weight.
I wonder what the sales director in the Royal Mint thinks when he /she goes home seeing the 5 to 20 times instant mark-ups on their already over-priced coins ?

I agree on both points.

You should ask!

Chards

1 hour ago, Simmoleon said:

I always thought the limited edition was for how the coin is presented I.e. on its own in a box but the mint also have the maximum mintage which allows them to mint more for other uses?

Could be made clearer couldn't it?

Chards

1 hour ago, Simmoleon said:

I always thought the limited edition was for how the coin is presented I.e. on its own in a box but the mint also have the maximum mintage which allows them to mint more for other uses?

That's correct as long as I've been looking/buying (about five years), so you also had to look at the Maximum Coin Mintage. Though previously it usually bullet-pointed the Limited Edition Presentation number in the 'key selling points', while here it's part of the sub-header (and they've dropped the 'Presentation').

It must be a deliberate change imho, and not one for the better for me (in terms of clarity for new buyers). Also, even if they don't do much with the 'extra' usually, I don't recall a release where the MCM was more than double the LEP.

4 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

I just looked at

Limited Edition 50

When I bought it it said 80 Ltd and 83 Maximum mintage so they were literally changing it as they were selling them. Then mine got cancelled 3 hours after I got the confirmation email 🤦‍♂️ 

All they need to do is get it right. They have one job, get the mintages right ffs.

I am not referring to the 5oz Gole either. Which was 80 too I believe 

Edited by MancunianStacker

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

8 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Could be made clearer couldn't it?

Not if you are selling and hoping to capture buyers with more cash to spend.
Catch the buyers with a misleading heading of 50 whilst actually making double.
Get round the legal stuff by illustrating a coin in a box - only 50 - whilst adding the same coin to another package or bundle it with a postcard for example.
Always been so with RM proof gold coins sold singly and in boxed sets.
You buy the limited to 370 set only to find they minted another 1500 of the same coins but sold singly.
Paying an enormous amount of money for a square of paper with a number printed on it and a paragraph written about the designer plus a wooden box inside a thin cardboard sleeve is par for the RM.

As for the Three Graces - they should add a small privy to each coin and do another run.
I wonder how that would affect the price ?
This happened with one of the Perth Mint Lunar silver coins when the original issue went meteoric and prices doubled overnight.
The privy version came out at regular price but with a much reduced mintage so in theory should have been priced higher on the secondary market.
Collectors were truly pi**ed at the time when this happened.
Today the original has crashed in price.
I know because I have both versions.

Just now, kimchi said:

Well that is absolutely scandalous in my book, very sorry to hear about your cancelled order @MancunianStacker :(

Tbh I bought late (Thursday such a great time to release a coin instead of a Monday when people expect it - No release the Mr Men tat on a Monday!!!) so had a bad feeling but the email took 30 minutes to come through so thought it was in the bag.

Anyway I think I would have sent it back had I got one, after having some time to think about it, the design is not setting any records for beauty. 😂 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

9 minutes ago, MancunianStacker said:

When I bought it it said 80 Ltd and 83 Maximum mintage so they were literally changing it as they were selling them. Then mine got cancelled 3 hours after I got the confirmation email 🤦‍♂️ 

All they need to do is get it right. They have one job, get the mintages right ffs.

That’s really poor from them, fully agree they should know how many coins they are producing before going on sale - especially at these prices 

15 minutes ago, MancunianStacker said:

That's really weird, changing the numbers like that.

They do, or should, have the luxury of having the facts at their fingertips, and time to create they page ahead of going live, with a clear indication of what the number represent.

As a government owned national institution, with a de facto monopoly, they should try to set ethical standards. I first pointed this out in 2000, when they were advertising gold sovereigns "from £35". When you visited the page, sovereigns were £65, and what you could have for £35 was a half sovereign.  The Mint argued with me that they were right, and I was wrong, telling me a half sovereign was a type of sovereign.

They did the same in 2009, but with a quarter sovereign.

Chards

2 hours ago, Simmoleon said:

Yes, you are correct, although they usually say "Edition Limit" rather than "Limited Edition". I think the former is clearer, and the latter, actual wording managed to fool me, even though I have seen "Edition Limit" many times before, and should have realised. It would be better to try and make it idiot-proof, perhaps with an asterisk next to the "50", with a full explanation somewhere.

Chards

15 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Yes, you are correct, although they usually say "Edition Limit" rather than "Limited Edition". I think the former is clearer, and the latter, actual wording managed to fool me, even though I have seen "Edition Limit" many times before, and should have realised. It would be better to try and make it idiot-proof, perhaps with an asterisk next to the "50", with a full explanation somewhere.

Fully agree and as I mentioned earlier, the difference is normally about 10 coins - so these changes don’t look good on the RM

8 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

I just looked at

Limited Edition 50

The variance is ridiculous, which is over 100% more than what it's stated in the headline of the item.  If it's 80 to 83, then fine.  But 50 to 103, I think it's misleading IMO.