• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2021 Britannia(s) - "Ugly", You Now Have a New Entry in the Encyclopedia

DaKine

I just got the obligatory Royal Mint email on this new offering, and must say was totally appalled by the ugliness of the design(s). You will see, if you care to look, that they now have a standard collector Britannia that rips of the Una and the Lion theme and now also the RM's attempt at presenting an "Universal Britannia" - how do I say that in PC terms??

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its all a bit ridiculous, also notice how they made the "traditional" Britannia not attractive but strong with a jaw like desperate dan.. I know why that was, they could not risk an uproar from the PC brigade that the white Britannia was more attractive than the person of colour Britannia..

I actually like the "person of colour" Britannia and have bought it, I think it may do well on the secondary market, first new Britannia in the "premium" series, first time Britannia is portrayed a person of colour. 

But it is clear to me what they are doing. if wokeness infiltrates the royal mint to much it will just turn me of them and i will stick with historics. 

32 minutes ago, watchesandwhisky said:

Its all a bit ridiculous, also notice how they made the "traditional" Britannia not attractive but strong with a jaw like desperate dan.. I know why that was, they could not risk an uproar from the PC brigade that the white Britannia was more attractive than the person of colour Britannia.

Hence why 'person of colour' Britannia is the 'premium' option.

37 minutes ago, Bruce06 said:

I prefer the premium version as well.  The ordinary one is a real contender to the one in 2017...poor😅.

Yep, standard version is pretty bland. Premium is better but still not worth buying in my view.

The premium version is beautiful. 

Not only the woman is gorgeous, but the overall design is well proportioned. 

And seems to have some security features in the waves...

But the other one is just wrong. 

Didn't like the premium but I do like the normal one. I guess that's just me missing out on Una and the Lion :)

Hopefully got one on the way, but lately with RM you never know until it's in your hands. 

11 minutes ago, MrB said:

Didn't like the premium but I do like the normal one. I guess that's just me missing out on Una and the Lion :)

Hopefully got one on the way, but lately with RM you never know until it's in your hands. 

Lovely coin in hand. Just the 1oz silver

IMG_20210319_205835.jpg

For those that like the "standard" version: have you actually done a closeup on the face of EITHER Britannia OR the Lion? Yikes!!

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder....At least the premium is somewhat closer to alright.

The standard Britannia reminds me a bit of the Edward VII florin in that it looks a bit better from a ways away but then cone down and focus on the face, and all I can do is say "Uggh".

OK, now I am a mint "slave" of sorts and so just have to have a Britannia of every year and got a plat original, a proof regular (ouch!) and a PL premium design. Terrible, that just supports the mint in such endeavours...

Archived