• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How would you split the following 50 oz. purchase of silver?

beacon

I currently live in Colombia and it's very hard to buy silver here (especially North American minted). Unfortunately, the big dealers such as APMEX, JM Bullion, etc. do not ship here.

However, I recently came across a seller on Mercado Libre (our version of Ebay/Amazon) who has lots of silver he purchased at APMEX in 2012 when he visited the U.S. I would like to purchase 50 ounces from him. He has the following silver in stock, all selling at the same price per troy ounce:

• 2012 - 1 oz Canadian Moose Silver Coin (seller has 30 in stock)
  • 1 oz Silver Bar - Walking Liberty Design (he has 30 in stock)
  • 1 oz Silver Bar - Buffalo (seller has 70 in stock)

How would you split 50 silver ounces between these three choices? Which would be more liquid later on when I decide to sell? (I intend to hold silver for a few decades at least). The seller is willing to sell any of the following choices at spot price and all three at the same price (no premiums), not matter any of these choices.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for any help!

2 hours ago, billysilver said:

It may be the quality of the image and poor lighting/angle but the Canadian Moose coins look absolutely fake to me....

The moose should have more detail than that

Just asked the seller for more pics. In these photos a lot more detail can be seen. I think they look legit now.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

8 hours ago, MetalMandible said:

I personally would buy all 30 of those mooses and then do 10 of each bar type.

I agree with this. Would go for coins over bars due to tax obligations (though I don't know if that's applicable in your situation), a couple of bars would be a nice addition. 

Get all the coins, the Mooses. Those are much more valuable than the bars.

After the 30 coins, it doesn't matter which bars you get since they're both ugly generics. (For comparison, see an RCM bar or the Britannia bars or Perth – all gorgeous.)

The Buffalo bars are made by the SilverTowne Mint in Indiana, USA. They're notoriously sloppy, which is why those bars look so bad compared to the RCM coins.

The Walking Liberty bars are made by the Highland Mint in Florida, USA. (Note the "HM" in the lower right corner.) Not much is known about them, and lately they seem to be focused on pro sports related medallions and other swag made from precious metals. They don't talk about or feature their regular bullion, so it's hard to say much else about them, and they might not be making regular bullion anymore. In any case, their bars are de facto generics, most people won't know who made them, and they're not high quality.

So the bars won't carry any premiums in future transactions (at least in normal market conditions), while the coins will. Do you have any idea why the seller is willing to give them to you for spot price? That doesn't make any sense at all in the current retail market. Being in Colombia would seem to enhance his leverage since there aren't a lot of sellers, and he went to the trouble of stocking up while he was stateside, which was smart. At the cheapest, best dealers in the US, like SD Bullion, new Maples are going for $7.00 over spot. Most places won't even have those Mooses, and I saw a random eBay listing for them right now at $23.00 over spot. Per coin. So getting them for spot is odd, unless the seller is desperate and needs cash now. But you're in Colombia, not Venezuela... Even the bars are worth several dollars over spot right now pretty much anywhere in North America, Britain, etc.

Archived