• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Need help finding reference books and historical sources for the Gold Sovereign

jvic

Hi,

I plan to make a video about the gold sovereign specifically the early sovereigns (1817-1837). I have all the types and a proper camera setup for the gold coins however I am lacking in historical documents and sources for the history of the gold sovereign. I do not have a Michael A Marsh book and I am waiting to purchase one if it comes out. If anyone is able to help may they provide me with online sources to the history of the gold sovereign or anywhere that allows me to purchase books that discusses the subject.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Hi @jvic

Marsh is the go to for me.

Some suggestions below.

Best

Dicker

Other Books worth considering:

(1) Striking Gold - 100 years of the Perth mint (Some Sov info, plus a rich and interesting history of the background and operations of the Perth Mint) Out of print but available on Ebay (Published by Goldcorp in 1999)

(2) The Sovereign - The World's Most Famous Coin (Published by Token in 1998) - I don't have this so don't know if it is any good....I have tried to get a copy but have not yet found one

(3) Auction catalogs: Hemisphere Sale and Bentley sale - both available online as PDF's.  Three volumes - often available on ebay

(4) Auction catalogs: The Quartermaster collection auction catalog - from a seminal auction of early Australian coinage.  I don't have one - but may be available for purchase here.  https://www.sterlingcurrency.com.au/blog/news-research/market-news/the-quartermaster-collection-australias-most-compr/

There was also a hardback version of this catalog published but I have yet to be able to locate one

(7) I have anecdotally heard of a privately published pamphlet / small book on Sovereign errors - believed to have been produced in the early 1980's.  I have not seen this so cannot definitely confirm if it exists.  I suspect it was a small run if it does indeed exist - possibly a personal hobby book/pamphlet.  I heard about this from a gentlemen who first sparked my interest in coins - I believe he had a copy at one point.  If anyone knows about this publication / has a copy I would be very interested to hear about it!

(8) English Gold Coinage (Vol 1 and 2) By Maurice Bull - I have not seen VOL1 and VOL2 has just been published. Might be useful but I don't know.  Others may have a better view on its coverage of Sovereigns!

Websites

image.png

Not my circus, not my monkeys

14 hours ago, jvic said:

I plan to make a video about the gold sovereign specifically the early sovereigns (1817-1837). I have all the types

Thats a video i would like to watch

7 hours ago, neilsmithcoins said:

It looks like the revised Marsh Sovereign book by Steve Hill, is due for release around April 15th. 

6 hours ago, richatthecroft said:

Thank you both for telling me this. I ordered 2 books for me and my friend. Now once it arrives I can start to make the video.

"The Gold Sovereign" by Marsh is the key reference work to purchase, but there are some good free sources of information in PDF format to download.

Links to Baldwins auction catalogues (already mentioned above by dicker) can be found here and contain good detailed information, especially auction nos. 73, 76, 79 and 88:

https://www.baldwin.co.uk/auction-archive/

Baldwins of St James auction catalogues, auction 32 from May 2015 is worth a look:

https://bsjauctions.com/Archives

And a great reference for Victorian Jubilee head sovereigns from Sovereign Rarities:

https://www.sovr.co.uk/media/pdf/Iverson-embedded-with-letter.pdf

https://www.sovr.co.uk/pdfs/david-iverson-jubilee-hd-half-sovs.pdf

Archived