• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

New here, advice on collecting queens beasts please

Touvex

Hi all, have recently started to collect Queen's beasts, was wondering if anyone has pricing/buying advice, shall I be waiting for stock on Royal mint to come back on some of the recent ones? Do they come back?

What does everything think about the 1oz prices at the moment?

I've seen big differences especially compared to the dragon and lion 1oz comparing royal mint to somewhere like bleyer. So i guess it's decent value to buy a few of the 1oz at 1700 on royal mint.

Thanks everyone! all thoughts welcome!

Don't do it, if you ask me. 

Sorry if that is not the answer you was looking for but the premiums on the earlier issues are just too much for my liking. 

However If you are keen on collecting the series then I would say pay close attention to here,eBay as well as the dealers and just tick them off one by one. 

13 minutes ago, Tn21 said:

Don't do it, if you ask me. 

Sorry if that is not the answer you was looking for but the premiums on the earlier issues are just too much for my liking. 

However If you are keen on collecting the series then I would say pay close attention to here,eBay as well as the dealers and just tick them off one by one. 

Thanks mate, appreciate the honest advice.

What would you say is an accetpable premium for the them? I am looking for long term collection as i honestly like the designs, like having them, and also think they have growth potential in the future - they are well liked in general as far as i can see.

4 minutes ago, Touvex said:

Thanks mate, appreciate the honest advice.

What would you say is an accetpable premium for the them? I am looking for long term collection as i honestly like the designs, like having them, and also think they have growth potential in the future - they are well liked in general as far as i can see.

It was not feasible for me to collect the gold versions of the qb. I only managed to collect the 2oz and 10oz in silver.  I'm not the best guy to ask about the premiums unfortunately. 

Few others on here may have an idea. 

The queen's beasts are a very popular series no doubt but is it too late to collect and back date? 

That ultimately will be your call

I'd say go for if you like them and you already have a few. Just be aware of the premiums you will pay for some of them, keep your eye out on different sites to get an idea of price for each one and be prepared to pounce on a deal. I believe this set will hold the premiums quite well, but you can never tell.

I would tend to agree with Tn21 here.

If you like the coins and want to keep them as a collection then go for it.

But opinions and trends change over time.  What was / is popular at one point in time (and may command a premium) might not be the same in years to come.  Then again, the opposite is also true and things can become more desirable.  Depends which way the pendulum swings when collecting coins.

I myself do not know enough about numismatic coins and don't have the time / inclination to learn more.  Hence I just stick with plain old bullion. 

I recently completed my 2oz collection and have no regrets. Amazing coins and really like the feel of 2oz. 

Currently half way through the 10oz coins which are my favourite and the 1oz silver proofs. 

Yes premiums are high and paid "over" the odds for some coins but have no intention of flipping these as i enjoy them too much.

Just keep your eyes out for any deals and do your research. 

@Touvex You've got to decide if you are a collector or stacker (you can be both) You've already said you like the designs so you are leaning towards collecting. My attitude is (as a collector) if you like it buy it just don't expect to pay bullion price for a premium/in demand coin.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

I really love the series myself always did but i started buying the 1/4 gold from the start i even graded mine not to sure that was the best plan but oh well done now but yes i dont really care to much about premium.s if i like a coin i just hunt and wait and look for the best price i can get it for there stunning coins and i myself think they will do well 😊

If you do keep collecting them try to get a display box from @Alun I finished the 2oz set recently and they look really good in the case 👍

PS) the only one I think has a stupid premium is the Griffin, I'd concentrate on trying to get that for the best price possible first as you don't want to have nine and then decide you're not willing to pay for the most expensive one.

Hi, @Touvex,

My advice is to stay away from any high premium " collectibles ". You will pay much more than real value and, even over years, will be very difficult to recover your money. Be aware about the trap of a limited mintage of one or few specific coins from a series. You will be forced to pay more than ten times real value, only to complete a collection.

The best way for long term is to focus on the lowest price when you buy. When the time to sell will come, you will be happy.

For sure, it is very cool to have a specific complete series of something. But you need to have a big budget allocated for this and to be prepared to lose some money.

Happy stacking!🤗

Stefan.

The full set above costs almost as much as 14 plain 1 Oz Britannia's (£17,995 vs £18,225).  

I would be taking the extra 3 - 4 oz personally lol

My reasoning for this would be because I have no idea if the set in question is going to be worth more in the future.  Will collectors be drawn to collecting the latest and greatest offering, rather than my premium collection?  I do however know with certainty that 13/14 oz is more than 10 lol.

It is a very nice set though.

It all depends on how really do you want them. Yes they are bullion with a high premium due to its collectability as 10 different designs in a series. If you are buying them to invest, then of course its better to by more ounces with the money. If you like them and you want to enjoy them, in my personal opinion, i dont mind buying them if i have the money to spend. We buy things as cars, gadgets, and many other things with even higher premiums and we dont even get 1/10 of the price we paid when we sell. 
so it all depend on how badly you want them. :) 

Thanks everyone, appreciate the diverse and honest comments.

Tn21 - saw the full set for 18k that was originally listed for 20k and has gone down since!

Fathallazg - love your point about cars, gadgets etc. those are guaranteed depreciating assets, but we still buy them!

Will also get those boxes, always wondered where, thanks, KPW82

Personally, i think i'm both, i will buy 3-5% bullions, but also i love the idea of collecting something, it makes pure "stacking" more fun and more rewarding as i spend the cash... so i think will continue to hunt them down. I also cannot see them losing value especially as a complete set.

4 hours ago, Robda1986 said:

I've only got the 2oz dragon and the 10oz dragon in silver wanted the 1 and the 1/4 gold but I can't bring myself to pay the premium 

the one ouce ones are beautiful coins!

7 hours ago, Goldmick said:

I really love the series myself always did but i started buying the 1/4 gold from the start i even graded mine not to sure that was the best plan but oh well done now but yes i dont really care to much about premium.s if i like a coin i just hunt and wait and look for the best price i can get it for there stunning coins and i myself think they will do well 😊

Please let me know mate if you spot a good one that has more than 1 in stock or if you already have it 😉

Personally I'd stay away from this series now that it's ended and you're so late to the party, premiums are silly on what is still just an ounce of Gold

Stick to be standard brits sovs etc you're money will be easier liquidated in them IMO

I was a little late starting to collect the proof editions of the QB's and I was lucky to be in a position to back-date my collection on the secondary market.

I think the QB series in proof will stand the test of time due to their desirability and connection with history.  I'm not quite sure what will happen to the bullion versions over time - they are nice, but they're different.

There's a big difference in the coins finish and desirability to an extent, when comparing the bullion to proof versions.

If you do want bullion, I think the premiums are high.  I paid a premium on the proof versions due to the exceptional finish and limited mintage.

If I was giving advice to myself as a collector of gold coins, I would say, buy what you love. 

To conclude the series of the QB in 2021, there'll be 1 coin with all 10 QB's on it - I'm guessing, but I think it will be in at least 5 oz format to fit them all on?

There'll also be a 10 coin set of the QB's.

I'm not sure when in 2021 they'll release them, but this could be an opportunity for you to seize all of them in one go, if you've got the 💰

I really don’t know what will happen to the price of QB’s.  As mentioned above there are some high prices being paid for them. 

They are to my eye attractive and interesting, but the premiums put me off buying on the secondary market!

Maybe hold off and seek out a new series if you don’t want to risk the premium coming down.

Best

Dicker. 

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Thanks again everyone. Re the premiums, the highest i've paid are recently for the 1oz coins avaliable now on royal mint website - but those are relatively old. So i justified them that way...

@GoldenGriffin - thanks for the detail! Great to meet another QB collector, really wanted the proofs but i'm guessing it's almost impossible to get them all now... Or is it? any advice on where i can get them? Where did you hear about those new releases? definitely going to save some liquidity for those!

18 hours ago, Touvex said:

@GoldenGriffin - thanks for the detail! Great to meet another QB collector, really wanted the proofs but i'm guessing it's almost impossible to get them all now... Or is it? any advice on where i can get them? Where did you hear about those new releases? definitely going to save some liquidity for those!

@Touvex 👍

I can tell you've got good taste 😉

I think it would be difficult to pick up all of the quarter oz and 1 oz gold proofs on the secondary market.

The Britannia Coin Company may have a 1 oz Griffin available, but I'd recommend you give them a call to check first - the coin connection had availability on their website but when I called, all of their coins were allocated and were out of stock, so would be good to check first.

With BCC, call them first to check the condition of the coin i.e. hairlines, copper spots etc. as the images on their site sometimes aren't the same and may have made a mistake, so it's always good to check.

They can email you a picture of the coin first, if they see a problem with it and then you can decide to buy or not.

I signed up to hear about the 2021 release after the release of the Griffin.

I personally think that the coin with all the 10 beasts on it, will be overcrowded and will dilute the desirability - I think each beast deserves to be on its own coin.

If the 10 x coins are in pure gold (999.9 fine) and in a different weight / size to what they've already released, then I could be interested, but if they're in 22 carat, then, I'll pass, as I much prefer the 999.9 composition due to its golden colour.  They may bring these out in a 50 pence format and if that is the case, it's likely to be in 22 carat. 🤔

Haha - great minds... I also much prefer the 999 colour, that's why i only have one sovereign and it was a present, i focus on Britannia for stacking, on top of collecting QB, the new Britannia design is really great, especially the larger 1oz one.

I see, so the new 10x coins set will not be the originals re-realised as a set, rather new mint?

thanks for the sites! what do you think are some reasonable prices to pay for them right now? I'm looking at the 1oz griffin, for example, is at 2450 - which seems OK? Did you collect the gold or silver? and what size please?

I've just looked on ebay and there are a few proofs, but i'm always hesitant to buy these kind of things off ebay.

On 14/03/2021 at 19:09, Touvex said:

Haha - great minds... I also much prefer the 999 colour, that's why i only have one sovereign and it was a present, i focus on Britannia for stacking, on top of collecting QB, the new Britannia design is really great, especially the larger 1oz one.

I see, so the new 10x coins set will not be the originals re-realised as a set, rather new mint?

thanks for the sites! what do you think are some reasonable prices to pay for them right now? I'm looking at the 1oz griffin, for example, is at 2450 - which seems OK? Did you collect the gold or silver? and what size please?

I've just looked on ebay and there are a few proofs, but i'm always hesitant to buy these kind of things off ebay.

Great minds indeed!... I only have 1 sovereign also and bought it due to its uniqueness and what it was in relation to - having only 95 mills on the reeded edge to celebrate the Queen's 95th birthday.  I love the George and the Dragon design, but feel it would be bought by a wider number of collectors if it was in 999.9 purity.  I hope that William Wyon's design of George and the Dragon will be released in 999.9 purity 😍 - it's stunning and has much more detail and presence on the coin compared to the Pistrucci design.

I have been collecting some of the gold proof Britannia's too, as their proof versions are more unique in design.  I think my absolute favourite out of the ones I've bought, is the 2017 design - absolutely stunning design.

I wonder what the next design will be like? 🤔

Yes, I think £2,450 is a reasonable price for a proof coin of that type, as long as there is nothing fundamentally wrong with it, such as hairlines or any other signs of damage.  If there were any signs of irreparable damage, I would still consider buying the coin, as it's better to have 1 in your collection, than none at all and think it'll do really well in years to come.

I'm not a big silver collector - I only have the 2 oz 3 Grace's coin, which is absolutely lovely.

I have the quarter oz and 1 oz gold proof sizes for the QB's.

There are a few proofs on Ebay and I picked one up a while ago to back-date my quarter oz collection.  I've never had a problem with buying on Ebay, but then again, I've not bought a lot from there and am a little wary of some perceived intentions on the platform - I'd say, just do your due diligence where you can and you should, in theory, be fine. 😀👍

Archived