• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Random date sovereigns - What did you receive?

Foster88

Hi all,

I’ve noticed over the past few weeks a lot of people buying the random date Sovereigns from bullion dealers. I thought it might be a good idea and interesting to start a new thread on this.

I have always preferred to know what I’m buying so I’ve never bought a random date sovereign before. I took the plunge and received this 1914 George V sovereign today. It looks like it’s been through the wars a little which is appropriate given it’s a 1914.

There was a slight anticipation and the excitement of the mystery, not knowing what was going to drop through the letterbox.

What have others received when buying a random date sovereign? 

It would be great to see, dings, dents and scratches included.

Here’s mine that arrived today.

F2754ABF-1A24-411D-AA9F-BE7A5370A743.jpeg

77C1D739-B2B9-4D04-93E7-9154E9A31992.jpeg

I used to buy regularly from HGM and BullionbyPost before they both morphed into coin shops charging silly prices.
They bought for 98% and sold for 103% - first in / first out and often they only had a few coins for sale as they literally went out the door the same day they received their bullion.
Buying blind I saw every possible vintage of coin and was especially pleased with Victorian shields, UNC mint sealed modern sovereigns and proofs in Royal Mint screw caps.
Not any longer though !!

I started off as a bullion buyer , anything goes , but as time went on i got rid of the nasty looking ones and i only buy decent  coins now. I just like looking at lovely coins in the best condition possible . For this reason i would never buy a coin blind.  I know people say gold is gold , but beat up coins are a nightmare to sell on.  As Pete has said, you're not going to find any gems among them nowadays .

25 minutes ago, pricha said:

I started off as a bullion buyer , anything goes , but as time went on i got rid of the nasty looking ones and i only buy decent  coins now. I just like looking at lovely coins in the best condition possible . For this reason i would never buy a coin blind.  I know people say gold is gold , but beat up coins are a nightmare to sell on.  As Pete has said, you're not going to find any gems among them nowadays .

You'll always shift them at bullion prices no matter how poor condition they are, but I agree i prefer a new coin lol

9 hours ago, Foster88 said:

@adamthetaller These are very nice. 

Where did you get these from and were they just the standard bullion?

The '58 was from Chards and the '59 was from the Britannia Coin Company - both were "best value" grade bullion. Think all my sovereigns are either "best value" lucky dips or H&B as I generally go for the lowest premiums on sovereigns. Had one with an edge ding but that was balanced out with an unexpected 2012 sovereign in good condition. 

43 minutes ago, adamthetaller said:

This one was a 'random year' selection from Atkinsons - 3% over spot when spot was sub-£1,000... 

DSC_5278.jpg

Nice, these are some of the gems that do slip through. From my last lucky dip I got the Isle of Man sov with the Norse Horse rider from Sharp's Pixley. Not bad for a best value sov.

Archived