• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

22k Gold Chain - but what is it?

kurama

Hi all, any jewellery experts out there? I would go to a Gold shop but, you know, nowhere's open...

I've owned this chain around 20 years ago. It's 22k gold, weighs 28.5 grams and measures 22 inches. It would be good to find out two things:

1. What style of chain is it? I can't find a similar chain style on the tinterweb anywhere... It's not a rope, spiga, wheat, curb...
  2. Roughly how much is it worth? (And I mean in terms of wearing it as a piece of jewellery, not scrap)

Thanks in advance

IMG_2765.jpg

8 minutes ago, TheShinyStuff said:

I have a 9ct one just like it, described as a Belcher when I bought it.

That's great thanks, I've had a quick look around and a Belcher looks a good description. (Thanks to @Nugget too). Now the question about it's worth - as I think the scrap value is well under what someone would pay for it as an item of jewellery. 

Now that depends on a number of factors, like who wants it and how badly lol.

If you take it to a local jewellery shop they won't give you anything over scrap /gold value that's for sure.  You'll then walk past the window a week later and it will be up for sale at a few hundred £££s more lol.

I have a fair few ounces of chunky gold from back in my younger years.  Don't see anyone I know wearing that style of necklace / bracelet now (refering to mine).

Times change and all that jazz.

I've still kept all mine and figured it will either come back into fashion and I can be a cool old guy lol or more likely, it will get left to the kids to get rid of.

I was showing the wife some YouTube videos of people making the thick Cuban link chains out of 1 ounce gold coins. Saw a few for sale on the net at Hattons..she hates them lol. 

I wear a small silver belcher chain with my kids finger prints on a silver dog tag, hence my guess was belcher.

Lol 

Have a look online see if you can find similar and then go from there.

Unless you sell to someone that wants to wear it as an item of jewellery you'll probably find gold value is best you'll get.

It’s not a belcher link. It’s a rounded box chain. The ‘s’ clasp is typical with Indian or Chinese 22ct. If it was 9ct with a UK hallmark you would be looking at around 50% over spot on the pre owned market. But being 22ct without a uk hallmark it will be difficult to get any more than scrap plus 10%

22 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

I've no idea what style it is, but some of the links look a bit agricultural😉

Haha it’s very soft gold and has been bashed about it as I’ve worn it almost every day 

21 minutes ago, Coincollector said:

It’s not a belcher link. It’s a rounded box chain. The ‘s’ clasp is typical with Indian or Chinese 22ct. If it was 9ct with a UK hallmark you would be looking at around 50% over spot on the pre owned market. But being 22ct without a uk hallmark it will be difficult to get any more than scrap plus 10%

Wow surprised to hear that 9ct carries more value than 22ct, goes to show my ignorance. Must be the UK hallmark which gives it the higher value then?

Hi, I really like your chain. It is not for a traveller, but without a british hallmark is difficult to sell with a decent premium. Even on Ebay, people are very reluctant to spend over £1000 without a hallmark. 

Today spot value for your chain is 28.5g x 0.916 = 26.1g pure gold x £39.86/g = £1040. If you will sell on Ebay, you will pay fees. You can try an auction here starting from £950. I am sure you will sell your chain quick, but only very little over spot price, maximum expected is 5%. 

My advice, if you want more over spot is to find a good jeweller, divide this chain in three, add three sets of 22ct clasps fully hallmark and make three beautiful bracelets. Eventually add three fancy charms as well 22ct and you will be able to sell them with minimum 20% premium, because it is very good qua chain.

Please, keep us updated with what you will do. Maybe we can learn from your experience.

Cheers!

Stefan.

2 hours ago, stefffana said:

Eventually add three fancy charms as well 22ct and you will be able to sell them with minimum 20% premium, because it is very good qua chain.

I never considered breaking it down into bracelets. That's a nice idea as I can still keep a piece of it then. Yeh sure, will keep this thread up to date with what I end up doing. Cheers for your input - really interesting thought! 🤔

1 hour ago, kurama said:

I never considered breaking it down into bracelets. That's a nice idea as I can still keep a piece of it then. Yeh sure, will keep this thread up to date with what I end up doing. Cheers for your input - really interesting thought! 🤔

If you will do this, I will be very happy to buy one bracelet from you at spot price at that moment +20%. Just give me a message with the final product.🤗

Archived