• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Stupid me, scratch

Bruce06

I collected a gold bullion at a local dealer yesterday.  Because of my excitement checking the griffin silver coin, i forget to check the royal arms bullion.  When i go home, then see a scratch on cheek...what a stupid mistake...may i know if it affects the coin value?

😭🥶

IMG_20210305_214201~2.jpg

It might, but since it is a bullion and the way how it was produced and handled as a bullion by the mint and dealers, buyers will expect some imperfections. Yes a perfect 70 graded coin could attract more premium, but a couple of scratches won’t devalue the coin. The price itself will move along with the spot plus bullion premium. 

A very high percentage of these coins were issued with scuffs and some scratches.
If you paid regular margin over spot for a bullion coin then the scratch doesn't matter.
If you paid a high premium then see if the seller will refund you but many will not because you cannot prove that you didn't damage the coin.

The annoying thing is that coins like the Royal Arms, Queen's Beasts etc tend to carry a higher premium than regular bullion like the Britannia yet suffer the same mint/quality control issues. It's partly why I've steered clear of that sort of thing unless it's a bargain at 'regular' prices. 

It's a bit like when you buy a Jaguar and find out it's largely a Ford underneath the dress up and the quality control is pretty much the same. You pay for the wow factor, and if I'm being kind fractionally because of the 'less common' tooling used {cough}

Just the type of 1989 sovereign I'd go after, it'd make a great pocket piece! I could carry it around free from its capsule and not worry about it picking up a few million extra scratches... 😀

The 1989 could be a good thing for some collectors - I say this because there is a strange bunch of collectors who try to achieve the lowest possible grades for some coins. It's true. Strange world we live in!!! People WILL pay a premium for a coin that is extremely bad condition and low graded where it is slabbed and the lowest in the Census or Population!

On 06/03/2021 at 06:53, vicamy said:

Not really. These are bullion coins. Scratch affects value on proof coins, but not on bullion.

Wouldn’t bother me. If you go to sell in the future just let any potential buyers know and they can decide for themselves.

Archived