• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 13,000+ forum members.

The REAL rate of Inflation?

The real inflation yielded rate  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Are what percentage do you believe is the real inflation rate?

• Lower than 2%
    • Between 6% and 10%
    • Its over 10%

46 minutes ago, kimchi said:

They need to raise interest rates now (well starting a few years ago really, but too late there). Anything else and along with Covid things are going to spiral very, very quickly, and I'll accept that those who said it's a planned destruction of the system as we know it were/are right.

I'm not sure how effective this would be, there's far too much capital out there, and whilst paying interest on it might sponge it, paying increasing amounts of interest on an ever ballooning amount of capital might end badly.  Back in my day, capital was used for productive purposes, but that's a foreign concept these days.

it would choke the housing markets and cause widespread devastation. Remember that the global economy was put on hold for a good year, something that has not happened before. Remove the effects of the government stimulus and the 'money illusion' and it would be clear that the post March 2020 economic recovery would barely register on the chart, after a fall that likely equals or surpasses that of the Great Depression.

In that depression, at least the rich got poorer, and the poorer got better off. That crisis, however, wasn't resolved until WW2.

having a bonfire might be more suitable !

On 16/06/2021 at 22:29, Spark268 said:

I've had the same with my Plusnet broadband. Most telecoms implemented RPI linkage to their prices, which makes them an under-appreciated inflation hedge compared to inflation linked government bonds.

i dont take issue with them linking to an Index, its the +3.9% on top of the Index...

I was trying to discuss the real inflation with a couple of friends and their replies were basically 'yeh prices going up lol' 😔

Broadband went up 10% and electricity bill annually up 11% concil tax 4.5% fuel looking pricy, some of my rental properties changed tenants last year and people were bidding the rent up. They went up 10 to 12.5% ... Food I haven't measured exactly, used cars appear to have gone up though again not specifically measured that.. 

Put it this way I can't think of anything I've bought recently that has gone down from recent years 

Can you? Maybe some tech items? I don't really buy new phones or computers or these things to know.. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/06/2021 at 09:48, modofantasma said:

Can you? Maybe some tech items? I don't really buy new phones or computers or these things to know

Technology is and will still inflate; new iPhones are around £1k - new car model is around 10%-20% higher price - laptops and pcs are still trending higher price (mainly due to new technological advancements in graphics card).

As for the basics, my food bill has went up around 12% in most products (mainly meat), electricity bill has been going up again and fiber optic.

"The banking system manufactures money out of nothing. The process is perhaps the most astounding piece of sleight of hand that was ever invented. But if you want to continue as the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money and to control credit."

Sir Josiah Stamp, Director of the Bank of England

I feel inflation when I go to market, but it is the imported fish (salmon and tuna) that has rocketed in price. Native fish remains low.

Chicken and pork prices remain stable, which is good for local families (staples) and vegetables remain low.

It's rice that hurts the pocket. The Philippines has to import rice (long story) and it's expensive to buy a good grade.

Overall, I budget p2500 a week (£35) for a family of 4.

Technically, alcohol is a solution..

In Omnia Paratus.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/parasite

what is inflation and what is price premium?

it's claimed that america has printed 40% of us dollars since covid. (+66% printed).

yet cardboard is claimed to have risen by four times(+300%).

how much of what people are experiencing are price premium hikes(due to supply problems)?

HH

trade in currency, save in gold

dining out pre-covid may be ancient history, but i do recall receiving some change from a tenner for a full english breakfast / main meal with a drink at any middling establishment. Now its for a twenty

A cafe nearby that still hasn't re-opened has a full breakie advertised for 6.75, but it's 8.95 everywhere else that's reopened.

Edited by Spark268

8 hours ago, HawkHybrid said:

what is inflation and what is price premium?

Inflation; increase of money supply

price premium; supply scarcity

"The banking system manufactures money out of nothing. The process is perhaps the most astounding piece of sleight of hand that was ever invented. But if you want to continue as the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money and to control credit."

Sir Josiah Stamp, Director of the Bank of England

Cookies & terms of service

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies and to our Privacy Policy & Terms of Use