• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is there a way to fix loose capsules?

Ive bought some silver bars that have capsules, but the capsules are loose and they fall apart everytime i try to pick the bars up. Is there a way to fix this? I was thinking mabe heat the capsule up with a hair dryer then close them together? Maybe it will expand with the heat then shrink when it cools down making it tight again?

I've seen this with some brands of capsules.
When you go to pick up your coin or bar it can fall out as the two parts separate unexpectedly.
Depending on how many you are talking about you have 2 options -

1. Buy better capsules
2. try a small tube of UV curing epoxy.

I bought UV epoxy on eBay for a couple of £ ( had to wait 3 weeks from China though ).
The same product was 5 times the price in the UK - rip-off as usual.

You put a couple of small drops of clear epoxy on the capsule rim and close it then you shine the supplied UV LED on the epoxy for about 30 seconds and it hardens.
Alternatively just leave on a window ledge in daylight for a day.
This product is not adhesive and hardens completely.
Some glues will gas out over time and you may in years to come get some discolouration of your silver.
I definitely experienced this with proof silver coin sets, maybe 25 years old,  from the Canadian Mint that had capsules, glued shut at the mint.
Each coin spotted ( not milk spots ) and I ended up selling for scrap beautiful - once - boxed proof sets.

Archived