• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Three Graces grading journey

Not sure if this is a done thing, moderators feel free to delete/move as appropriate.

It seems there are at least a few us grading a coin for the first time on the back of being lucky in getting a three graces coin.

Thought I would describe my experiences and progress in case its of interest or share the stress, happiness or doom!

After a few mishaps with the NGC form and some help from posters on the Three Graces thread, I sent mine off today by Royal Mail Special Delivery. Its stressful posting away the 2oz silver worth around 2k at the moment. I hope I get to see it again!

It's at my local delivey centre so at least left the post office. Expecting it to get London tomorrow and maybe find out what I have done wrong this week ! 

Will update as and when things move and it would be interesting to see other people's experiences and progress.  

Ouch. They have covered the postage to London for up to 2k (my request). Someone did say that they will only pay what I paid to buy it. The lady at the counter did ask how much it would take to buy today so I explained. Hopefully it's not something I will need to worry about it. It should arrive safely.

I am also hoping once it's in NGCs hands it's covered until its back in mine.

• Founder & Administrator
9 hours ago, NewCoins said:

Not sure if this is a done thing, moderators feel free to delete/move as appropriate.

No problem for members to discuss grading, as long as not advertising 3rd party grading services off of the forum. :) 

Many members choose to grade themselves directly with NGC / PCGS, there is no need to necessarily use a company to grade for you. And it is a myth that you can receive a higher grade if grading via a 3rd party. 

Note that unfortunately the TSF label is not available if you grade directly with NGC and is only available via COR. Also note the £13 per form grading fee when grading directly with NGC. So grading directly for smaller quantities of coins can work out more expensive than going via @CoinsOfTheRealmAuctions (who as well as being TSF's Official Grading partner are also an Authorised NGC dealer).

You can easily compare the costs of grading in the UK with NGC direct yourself by going to their website here: https://www.ngccoin.uk/submit/services-fees/ngc/ (again don't forget to also include that £13, as well as the NGC return shipping cost which is quite expensive if going direct to NGC, I think it was from £36 return shipping cost when I did but another member can hopefully correct me on this if I am mistaken as to NGC's return shipping cost, although this obviously is not applicable if picking up direct from the NGC office) and you can compare to the grading fees with @CoinsOfTheRealmAuctions (discounts applicable for different Premium Member groups, pricing and info available here)

Pros of grading via Coins of the Realm
- Optional TSF branded label available
- Lower cost for small and medium quantities of coins submitted as no £13 per form charge. 

Pros of grading direct with NGC UK
- If you live in or close to London and there is no or low cost travel expenses to get to the NGC office you can drop off and pick up in person to save shipping fees (especially the very high return charge from NGC).
- Can work out cheaper if you are submitting large quantities of coins, e.g. if you have 20 coins on the same sheet effectively reduces the £13 fee to just £0.65 per coin.

I'm not sure if it will be a possibility, and it is something would need to ask NGC, but wondering if there is any possibility for members who submitted via @CoinsOfTheRealmAuctions to then collect their coins in person at the NGC office? This may not be logistically possible or even allowable under the NGC rules, but tagging in Louise as she may be able to answer that :) 

Note that TSF does not receive any money for members choosing to grade via COR. Unless however a chargeable fee for the TSF label is applicable, this is then passed onto TSF. TSF is not expecting to even break even on the $1000 label charge that we paid, however if members choose to get this label it will hopefully promote and advertise TSF in the long term. The TSF label was also designed to fit in nicely with other Standard NGC labels or standard NGC blue Early Releases / First Releases labels that members may have in their collection so that their TSF branded NGC graded coins go well in their collection. TSF supports itself via Premium Membership subscriptions and Platinum Premium Member groups receive optional FREE TSF branded labels when grading via COR this also will help to support the forum. 

In conclusion, members are free to grade directly with NGC and it is a good topic for discussion on how to do it. As above it may be a lower cost to grade via COR so it is worth working out the costs. 

In regards to PCGS, I can't really say anything just yet, but I can say that TSF is working on something in relation to this and this will be announced in due course, again it will be a system set up whereby TSF does not receive a commission but does negotiate lower rates for Premium Members. More details on that to come sometime this year :) 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I can't disagree with the expense overhead in doing it for one coin. 13 handling and somewhere around 39 return shipping before you start with anything else. Obviously the more coins you send that overhead would be less painful.

This is the first time I have had a coin graded period, so have no experience in doing it through a third party either. 

Part of it for me is the experience and feeling closer to the process.

I completely accept that, at least for this single coin, is costing me above £100 and I may have made some mistakes! Here is hoping not any costly ones for one reason or another 🙏

36 minutes ago, lubi29 said:

Just filling that form is it standard or modern? As well in reholder services oversied reholder £7500? Total value £2000 and total cost all services together?

Thank you

I put standard (please note this is my first time) as modern only seems to go up to a value of £1500.

I don't think you need a reholder, unless it's already been graded.

You want an extra thick holder as part of the add on services part of the form.

This is my first time but it's what I have done.

38 minutes ago, lubi29 said:

Just filling that form is it standard or modern? As well in reholder services oversied reholder £7500? Total value £2000 and total cost all services together?

Thank you

Reholder is for coins currently in a slab

Not got a form in front of me but you should need standard, conservation (optional but its increases your grading chances), first release (optional if received by NGC within the first 30 days of release from mint) and should be the extra thick holder 

17 minutes ago, Simmoleon said:

Reholder is for coins currently in a slab

Not got a form in front of me but you should need standard, conservation (optional but its increases your grading chances), first release (optional if received by NGC within the first 30 days of release from mint) and should be the extra thick holder 

I thought about conversation but it's 4% of coin value right?

Which is £80 on a 2k coin?

15 minutes ago, NewCoins said:

I thought about conversation but it's 4% of coin value right?

Which is £80 on a 2k coin?

Think there are a few options, if you declare the coin is worth more than £1500 then it’s 4% and off the top of my head there is a modern which is a flat rate of £12ish for coins under £1500

9 hours ago, NewCoins said:

Does anyone know how long you normally wait until you can track your submission? Is it when it arrives in the US or after NGCUK have it ?

If you look in your account you can see the submission number when London book it in but there is no detail until they are booked in in the US, which can take a few weeks.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

3 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

If you look in your account you can see the submission number when London book it in but there is no detail until they are booked in in the US, which can take a few weeks.

They signed for it yesterday morning. Nothing in my account yet. At what point do I press the panic button? 🤔

1 hour ago, NewCoins said:

They signed for it yesterday morning. Nothing in my account yet. At what point do I press the panic button? 🤔

A week or so? Probably never😉

They are only in the office 3 days a week at the moment and it may have been signed for by a Spinks person downstairs.

Also, if they are busy it may take them a few days to enter on to the system.

2 hours ago, NewCoins said:

Just thought I would add an update, although there isn't really one.

NGC London signed for the coin around 6 days ago. There is nothing for the submission yet on the tracking page.

I think that's reasonably normal, but would much prefer if I knew 100% they had it.

If you're really worried, give them a ring and check. They will understand (just this once😁)

12 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

If you're really worried, give them a ring and check. They will understand (just this once😁)

I will try to be patient and give it until next week.