• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Three graces coin

2 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

Its fascinating

Raw coin, had an offer of £1800 by a coin company. 

Decided to chance it and go for grading and see if I could get a 70 for that sweet £2k+ 

Now, lucky to get £1500 for it

So there in lies the gamble

No regrets, still well up over £1000 profit, happy days!

With the way prices are dropping the 70s may well be going for £1500 soon enough. Market is rather flooded.

Considering the 3G is market is flooded and the Una is not, is this entirely down to the flippers? And should we expect this to level off some time soon? 

My uneducated guess this whole time was that the 3G price would decline, especially when the graded coins come back, but then rise again around the time of the new release in Oct/Nov. I'm sticking to my guns on that one but must admit I'm starting to think that I may be too optimistic for its future value?

Any response to my thoughts would be most appreciated.

19 hours ago, SilverJacks said:

Considering the 3G is market is flooded and the Una is not, is this entirely down to the flippers? And should we expect this to level off some time soon? 

My uneducated guess this whole time was that the 3G price would decline, especially when the graded coins come back, but then rise again around the time of the new release in Oct/Nov. I'm sticking to my guns on that one but must admit I'm starting to think that I may be too optimistic for its future value?

Any response to my thoughts would be most appreciated.

The releases for the two coins were very different. Una was released with no real fan fare and took a couple days to sell out. 3G was released to the largest demand I think there has been for a RM release I've been around for. As a result of this the Una's I suspect were largely picked up by collectors and disappeared into those collections with few examples coming to the secondary market. In contrast I suspect the vast majority of 3G were bought by people hoping to cash in the way a select few managed with the Una. At the moment you're just seeing the result of that. When you have a coin that was bought up primarily to be flipped once those go to market in the numbers they have there is only one way the price is going to head. It is possible the price will increase over time as the current surplus is bought up but we've yet to find a bottom price (actually saw a PF70 sell for £1500 on a FB group earlier) so there is a ways to go down yet before any rise happens. 

Another issue the 3G coin faces is dilution. The mintage was higher and I'm sure the RM minted more varities (sizes) of it. There were also other mints that put out really high quality versions. While I expect the RM version will be the definitive version you'll always have some people who will now settle for one of the others so that takes away from the pool of people who might have been after a RM version lessening the demand. I really don't imagine the 3G will ever be as valuable as the Una is.

10 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

The releases for the two coins were very different. Una was released with no real fan fare and took a couple days to sell out. 3G was released to the largest demand I think there has been for a RM release I've been around for. As a result of this the Una's I suspect were largely picked up by collectors and disappeared into those collections with few examples coming to the secondary market. In contrast I suspect the vast majority of 3G were bought by people hoping to cash in the way a select few managed with the Una. At the moment you're just seeing the result of that. When you have a coin that was bought up primarily to be flipped once those go to market in the numbers they have there is only one way the price is going to head. It is possible the price will increase over time as the current surplus is bought up but we've yet to find a bottom price (actually saw a PF70 sell for £1500 on a FB group earlier) so there is a ways to go down yet before any rise happens. 

Another issue the 3G coin faces is dilution. The mintage was higher and I'm sure the RM minted more varities (sizes) of it. There were also other mints that put out really high quality versions. While I expect the RM version will be the definitive version you'll always have some people who will now settle for one of the others so that takes away from the pool of people who might have been after a RM version lessening the demand. I really don't imagine the 3G will ever be as valuable as the Una is.

Thanks for the well reasoned thought.

Personally, I never intended to flip quickly. I know the best way to look at it is that it cost me RRP and will likely stay above that price, but the depreciation is stopping me enjoying ownership of the coin. Surely I'm not the only one to think that lol.

2 hours ago, SilverJacks said:

Thanks for the well reasoned thought.

Personally, I never intended to flip quickly. I know the best way to look at it is that it cost me RRP and will likely stay above that price, but the depreciation is stopping me enjoying ownership of the coin. Surely I'm not the only one to think that lol.

You're definitely not the only one thinking that. I didn't buy it to flip either. To be fair I mostly only bought it because I had the Una and so it seemed worth trying for the set. It is disappointing to see how it has gone but the disappointment started before the RM release for me. Seeing the Alderny ones come out to the hype they did was the first blow for me. I suppose you can't fault other mints for hopping on the bang wagon to make a quick buck but I figured that dilution would affect the RM release. I still think long term there will be enough demand for it to keep the price relatively high - one has to imagine that those who picked up the Una will want the other coins in the collection - just have to ride the wave and see how it pans out once this surplus clears.

Personally i take the glass half full view, paid £250 from the mint and the coin is now worth multiple times that amount. Have not graded any of mine yet and as a collector i will be holding them for quite some time so no rush. I would expect the coins to slowly increase in value once the flipping stampede is well and truly over.

Also EIC will soon be releasing their versions which includes a one and two ounce gold and silver proof into the market, but as a previous post mentioned nothing will better the RM originals. 

Edited by Fivepoundfred

On 02/06/2021 at 13:30, marston59 said:

Many of the flippers are not collectors, and just want a quick profit.

On 02/06/2021 at 11:00, MikeG1978 said:

Has anyone noticed on online flippers are slashing their prices to offload the 2oz even in pf70

Flippers are killing this coin that's for sure 

Are you guys trying to give flippers a bad name?

MO9A3022.thumb.jpg.4c405e346bd0e5e482c9f95543e4890d.jpg

Chards

I understand why they do it and don't have an issue but they are shooting themselves in the foot undercutting each other 

Stand strong and hold the line (bottom line)

Mine is raw and will stay that way I am quite happy with any value it lands at within reason 

9 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

Ever since he was a young boy......

9 hours ago, TheShinyStuff said:

He flipped those silver coins.....

9 hours ago, SilverJacks said:

From sovereigns to Britannia, he must've flipped them all

9 hours ago, MikeG1978 said:

But I ain't seen nothin' like him  didnt struggle shifting the 1oz Albert hall

9 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

well, we certainly ain't seen nothing like him in whichever amusement hall.

It looks like you guys have got together to form a group, perhaps a Barber shop quartet (playing for dimes and quarters?).

I feel very flattered!

(but, no you can't have free postage).

Chards

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

News from PCGS - after three and a half months (!) The 5oz Three Graces (Silver Proof) I sent in for grading received a PR69 DCAM! Ah well. You win some, you lose some.....

Coming to an auction near you soon!

Edited by AndrewSL76
times all over the place!!

Here we go chaps and chapettes - TCC39 is open for bidding. 👀

Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 8.52.52 pm.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 8.53.05 pm.png

Edited by jultorsk
Should add none of the coins are mine... unfortunately! :D

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

On 07/06/2021 at 09:49, MancunianStacker said:

They are selling a 1 Oz version on ebay for £169 and have sold 25 so fat, one person buying 7 !!

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.