• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Three graces coin

Just now, NewCoins said:

Have to say I feel a little deflated.

The capsule was loose so when pulling the capsule out to take a good look it came open. Looks to be a few marks on the coin, but could be dust due to aforementioned loose cap.

20210226_141952.jpg

Looks like dust 

I think i have been lucky with mine no obvious issues 

4K video shot, the light was kind!

Its only a 14GB video file!

So it will take a while to upload and process on YouTube but from experience I think something should be ready for publishing this evening (around 8pm) 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

26 minutes ago, GoldenGriffin said:

So the all important question here then is, did those coins with dust on them come back as a 70?

I have seen forum members posting on the ‘today I received thread’ with 70s that have issues such as dust particles etc.

The worst is when the coins come back with errors in the label. Most recently a fifth portrait had been graded as a fourth portrait. Not much you can say about this other than please can you fix it? This is what the companies refer to as a mechanical error. 

1 minute ago, AndrewSL76 said:

seen forum members posting on the ‘today I received thread’ with 70s that have issues such as dust particles etc.

Be interesting to know if the dust particles are on the holder or actually on the coin.

If the latter, then maybe they land on the coin when in the 'holdering' process and not during the grading process?

1 hour ago, richatthecroft said:

I absolutely agree with you on these points...there are plenty of threads disparaging dealers for not providing the Harrods service for low margin coins, I can see both sides of the argument- I guess for someone new to the game and making a large bullion purchase they would think a 4 figure transaction would deserve all the attention in the world from start to finish, but the reality is on the flip side, margins can be extremely tight for you guys.

And this is the difference- large margins, exemplary service should be assured.  

I'll let him know of your interest Lawrence, thank you- He's only in his early 20's, and I'm very proud that he has managed to save up like he has done to make an investment like this😃.  

When I was in my twenties I'd spent all my money on Beer, Shags and Fags, I still waste cash on the Beer and Fags, not so much bothered about the Shags these days....😂 

Yes, many people are one-dimensional, and they only see their own viewpoint. I always try to see both sides in advance. The downside is that when there is any dispute, I am already at or close to the middle, and am still expected to compromise. Although I have used the first personal singular, this also applies universally whenever one party takes a sensible middle ground position. C'est la vie!

The boy done well!

I would take you to task on the tobacce, but...

When I was a lad (cue violins), I spent a lot on wine, women, and song. The rest I wasted.

I'm shocked that you needed to pay for your shags (unless you mean pipe tobacco), whetever happened to "free love"?

Chards

2 minutes ago, Aiden2343 said:

I thought I would upload a comparison between the two silver sizes of the Three Graces, seeing as I’m in the very lucky position to do so. The first two close-ups are of the five ounce. As you can hopefully see, the depth of the strike on both coins is pretty incredible, to say the least!

BDE835E8-7F13-4F9C-B58E-393EECC9750E.thumb.png.7f4f2614ac4622eee14a59da1bf6a2e9.png56358132-26B6-4B23-A4C3-77A11508E48F.thumb.png.eb458804c41d20b919341ed74c91d7b4.png653009FD-4A1C-40A5-95D3-4A57F8BD1281.thumb.png.5dc4295e8165e9dfa0d1cafe125c78fa.png

Five Ounce

7F58C003-C156-4222-9977-B698A9010A8E.thumb.png.31b6cb74e266b6dc406f717af2995f06.png

I can assure you, any dust particles you see are on the capsule and not the coin ( I think..!) 

2FCA4B4A-2560-4148-832D-6445CAB4768E.thumb.png.c0f35ea1880b631c887d520f8139430a.png

Two Ounce

56DE8F21-1FC8-45C5-8E9C-7E9314ECB05E.thumb.png.6409b2aa92f56e2dcf1743ec712333cb.png30E1511B-D899-46EF-B79B-DF652FF9B5D7.thumb.png.71a98e49e3a6cb132cb756173964ea96.png

Sorry, I would upload more photos but unfortunately I’ve hit my file size limit. Even after compression lol

Thought you might be interested!... I think there’ll be a lot more photos of Three Graces on the way haha.

3 minutes ago, Aiden2343 said:

Thought you might be interested!... I think there’ll be a lot more photos of Three Graces on the way haha.

Thanks, it's good to see the size comparison.

I was intending to do the same showing the 2 ounce gold versus the one kilo gold, but...🙂

Chards

10 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I'm shocked that you needed to pay for your shags (unless you mean pipe tobacco), whetever happened to "free love"?

Beer and shags and Chips & Gravy...

I guess it’s a Northern version of Wine, Women & Song- as enshrined in a Macc Lads lyric.  

Some of you have stuck very lucky by the looks. What a beautiful design - in the meantime I will have to satisfy myself with a few Perth lunar mint coins from Mr Chard which should be arriving by Monday! 

3 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Due to political correctness, this image may need to be removed as a "downblouse" shot.🙂

Although that was intended to be humorous, there is a further point.

The image the Royal Mint used is The Three Graces  by Edouard Bisson painted in 1899, so it has almost no relevance to the sculpture on the coin.

William Wyon's engraving was based on or inspired by Antonio Canova's The Three Graces circa 1815.

Three_graces_statue_-_Oleksandriia_Park.

Clearly the original shows the three sisters naked, but perhaps Wyon considered that a clothed version might be more appropriate for a British coin.

There were also earlier three graces coins and medallions including a 4th century Greek coin from Cyprus, and a 15th century medallion. These earlier examples were almost invariably naked.

Who's for a naked version?

Edited by LawrenceChard
typos

Chards

3 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Although that was intended to be humorous, there is a further point.

The image the Royal Mint used is The Three Graces  by Edouard Bisson painted in 1899, so it has almost no relevance to the sculpture on the coin.

William Wyon's engraving was based on or inspired by Antonio Canova's The Three Graces circa 1815.

Three_graces_statue_-_Oleksandriia_Park.

Clearly the original shows the three sisters naked, but perhaps Wyon considered that a clother version might be more appropriate for a British coin.

There were also earlier three graces coins and medallions including a 4th century Greek coin from Cyprus, and a 15th century medallion. These earlier example were almost invariably naked.

Who's for a naked version?

Ultimate fantasy, Three Lesbians, I'm just watching !!!

Advice Sought

I received the following as a Private Message:

I have a 2oz Gold Three Graces which I have had some offers for which are tempting (one at about £30k) but torn on what is the sensible option for this - would you grade it and see how the market develops in a few months or look to sell it in the the initial hype?  Both just seem to be a gamble to me 
Any advice would be appreciated 

The TSF member agreed I could post the main part of his question here, as above.

My reply was:

It's difficult to advise between your choices.

As you say, it is a gamble, but it's hard for you to go wrong, with your £5K stake already worth much more, any choice you make will be a winner.

I managed to get one, as you will know, and I would be very happy to sell it:

https://www.chards.co.uk/2020-three-graces-gold-two-ounce-coin/14268

If it sells, then we would be looking to buy more, and if not, then...

Do you mind if I copy your question to a public forum, without identifying you, as I think there would be other TSF members who would be interested in the points you raised.

Any thoughts out there?

Chards

34 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Advice Sought

I have a 2oz Gold Three Graces which I have had some offers for which are tempting (one at about £30k) but torn on what is the sensible option for this - would you grade it and see how the market develops in a few months or look to sell it in the the initial hype?  Both just seem to be a gamble to me 

The TSF member agreed I could post the main part of his question here, as above.

My reply was:

As you say, it is a gamble, but it's hard for you to go wrong, with your £5K stake already worth much more, any choice you make will be a winner.

Do you mind if I copy your question to a public forum, without identifying you, as I think there would be other TSF members who would be interested in the points you raised.

Any thoughts out there?

If it comes back at PF69 it’s still worth £30k, if it comes back PF70 then it’s worth £x unknown. Inlikelynto ever dip below£30k in years to come. 

I’d want to grade it myself though as losing £25k would be horrible for me. You can drop it off direct at their London office with a form available on their website and get a receipt for it.  About £25 to join NGC. Top class grading with conservation etc maybe £300 investment to ensure it comes back spotless. Good luck

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

2 minutes ago, Beeny1blue said:

Sent my coins to ngc london

Yup, it’s a piece of cake. If I was grading an old Sov I’d get a 3rd party to donut for me on a bill submission but for something potentially worth £70k I’d want to track it every step of the way. 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

42 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Advice Sought

My reply was:

Any thoughts out there?

lol. For 30K I would be cashing that in whilst the demand is there. Rather have a 1 ounce 200 year old coin ;) ... with more gold bullion. :)

Congrats on getting the deal. 

10 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Advice Sought

My reply was:

Any thoughts out there?

Actually selling for £30k plus, validates the market.

Someone asking for £30k plus without true validation is different - there needs to be an actual sale.

if it was me, for this particular coin, if offered a profit of £25k (6 x), without the coin graded, I would sell it.

Edited by GoldenGriffin