• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Are you a stacker and/or collector?

Hannibal

Hello everyone,

This is a random inquiry, for us to get a general idea, as to what our stacking / collecting preferences are:

1. What's your favorite category of gold coin(s) to stack/collect?
- Old numismatic coins, at close to spot (sovereigns, LMU e.t.c.). Please, also specify if you care.
- Modern bullion coins. Please also specify if you care (American gold eagles, Wiener Philharmonics, Britannias, Canadian Maple Leafs e.t.c.). 

2. For the ones among you who stack/collect old numismatic coins, do you have a (strong) preference for gold coins, issued by your own country in the past?

3. What's your favorite (approximately) size to stack/collect (1/10 ounce, 1/4 ounce, 1/2 ounce, 1 ounce)?

4. To what extend do you regard yourself a stacker and to what extend do you regard yourself a collector percentage-wise ?

This is my first topic in the Forum, so wish me luck! 😉😄

Looking forward to your replies.

Cheers

- Fractional currency, such as US $5 half eagles (1/4 oz), and Mexico 5 pesos (1/8 oz).

2. For the ones among you who stack/collect old numismatic coins, do you have a (strong) preference for gold coins, issued by your own country in the past?
- Yes, see answer in 1.  I'm part white American and part Mexican so maybe that's why my natural preference is for those two national issues.

3. What's your favorite (approximately) size to stack/collect (1/10 ounce, 1/4 ounce, 1/2 ounce, 1 ounce)?

- Concerning gold, see answer in 1.

- Concerning silver, I like US dimes and half dollars, and Mexican pre-1961 ciculated 90% stuff.  The rest of my silver is mostly Libertads, with a couple rolls of generic 1 oz and 5 oz.

4. To what extend do you regard yourself a stacker and to what extend do you regard yourself a collector percentage-wise ?

- I'm a stacker first, collector second.  I'd guess 80% of my stack is just that, a stack.  The other 20% is the collector stuff.

- Sovereigns, just Sovereigns!
- Peruvian 100 Soles and Mexico 50 Pesos, love their 'chunckyness'.

- I do own some gold guilders, but not particular looking for them.

- I guess that would be 1/4 ounce then.

- I think I am stacker turning into collector. give it a year or two and I will be buying collectable only.

- Sovereigns and Brit's - as close to spot as possible.

- I will buy gold, silver and platinum.  But being UK based, prefer UK VAT/CGT free coins.

- Brit's is 1 oz (but will buy other sizes, I just prefer less premium) and full sovereigns.

- I am purely stacking the coins for the weight.  No interest at all in the collecting side of things.  Take all emotion out and invest / save in the closest to premium asset I can.  I am building extra for my kids, as I do not see me needing to access / cash in at all.  So it is purely building up as much as possible to leave them something extra (I am late 30's).  Boring approach some may say, but I am not worried.  It's all about the ounces to me.

14 hours ago, Hannibal said:

I'm currently collecting one series of proof gold coins. It's a yearly ongoing series with 2 coins (out of 6 planned) released so far.

Small (10g), medium (1oz) and large (100g) for the PAMP bars.

1/2oz for the proof coins mentioned above.

Even with the items I purchase for stacking, I'm very OCDish, so I'm more collector than stacker. 99% vs 1%

6 hours ago, Kman said:

Are you conducting a survey for something?

No I'm not.

I'm new here and I'm just looking to get an idea of what people mostly like to collect/stack in gold, regarding sizes, origins e.t.c.

Also, I'm looking to find out whether a personal notion that I have, that people everywhere mostly like to collect coins from their own countries, with the sole exception of british gold sovereigns that are universally desirable, is accurate or not.

- Sovereigns 

- Yes

- Concerning gold, see answer in 1

- Concerning silver, I like 1oz coins Brits & Eagles mainly. But no point having two from the same year - unless one is a proof! 

- Collector - collecting a stack!

17 hours ago, Hannibal said:

Very interesting.

I would assume though, that the 100g PAMP bars you're mentioning are silver, not gold, bars.

It was actually my first gold purchase, and the only one in that weight currently.

My yearly budget for PM doesn't allow me to add one of those every year, but I hope to add some others in the future.

I'm also stacking /collecting silver:

- (large) 1kg Lunar 3 coins

- (medium) 10oz Kookaburra coins

- (small) 100g PAMP bars

As you can see, it's very OCDish.

9 hours ago, Ceaiu said:

It was actually my first gold purchase, and the only one in that weight currently.

My yearly budget for PM doesn't allow me to add one of those every year, but I hope to add some others in the future.

I'm also stacking /collecting silver:

- (large) 1kg Lunar 3 coins

- (medium) 10oz Kookaburra coins

- (small) 100g PAMP bars

As you can see, it's very OCDish.

You like big sizes I see.

What do you mean by saying "OCDish"?

What's your favorite category of gold coin(s) to stack/collect?
Sovereigns & Britannias

Yes

O.2354 & 1/10

Stacker first-collecter second. 75%-25%

8 hours ago, Hannibal said:

You like big sizes I see.

What do you mean by saying "OCDish"?

When visualizing my stack in 10 years, I rather have tens of items than hundreds. Gold is not a problem, but with silver it can get pretty overwhelming. 

OCD = Obsessive Compulsive Disorder 🙂

- Sovereign

- gold yes, silver no

- gold sovereigns. Fractional bars

- silver. Pre decimal, 1 Oz coins and 1 Oz bars

My personal opinion is if purchase any coins you are a collector, if you go for bars, rounds or anything other than coins then you are a stacker. I would say I am 95 percent a collector.

18 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

- Sovereign

- gold yes, silver no

- gold sovereigns. Fractional bars

- silver. Pre decimal, 1 Oz coins and 1 Oz bars

My personal opinion is if purchase any coins you are a collector, if you go for bars, rounds or anything other than coins then you are a stacker. I would say I am 95 percent a collector.

Interesting approach!

I find particularly noticeable the fact that you collect gold only from your country (sovereigns) but you're more "lax", so to say, with your silver collecting habits.
I find this pretty noticeable, because in the course of years, I've drawn the conclusion that people tend to be more "serious / rigid" with their gold collecting habits, whereas on the other hand that is not the case with silver.
As a result of the fact that silver is much cheaper than gold, people tend to find (more) "easy joy", if I may use the expresion, in it, meaning that they tend to easily deviate from their PM stacking/collecting habits when they buy it.
In other words, when they buy silver they more easily buy what's more appealing and enjoyable for them at a given moment, whereas that is not that much the case when they buy gold.

As far as your note, that "if purchase any coins you are a collector...", I'm not so sure I agree with that, because I believe that a collector differentiates from a stacker, in the sense that he (the collector) is willing to pay a (much) higher premium over spot, to satisfy his desire to see and appreciate a rare, valuable piece in his collection.
That is not the case with stackers, whose primary - if not sole - concern is to buy as close to spot as possible, thinking of their PMs as a short of a savings account.
I personally believe, that if someone wants to give an honest answer to himself, as to whether he's a stacker or a collector, he simply needs to ask himself the following simple question:
"Am I willing to pay 20% (more or less) above spot to buy this piece, just because I like it?"
If the answer is "no", then he's a stacker.
If the answer is "yes", then he's a collector.
That's just what I think. 🙂

I'm in my 40s, many years ago I use to work all over Europe (in my 20s). Silver bullion was never really that big in the UK but other countries it was more common practice. Their culture I think was to have some of their assets at home and some in the bank (this might be why a 500 euro note exists). So my silver collecting began back then. Each country would have different deals on different products and depending where I was at the time was what I brought. My gold venture only really happened by mistake. I cannot afford massive amounts of gold so when I have accumulated to much silver I sell some bits. So on the gold I just go for easiest to buy and sell in my country. 

The stacking Term has only really come to light with me over the last couple of months. Even tho I have been doing this for years it's been a relatively hidden pleasure. So I have had not long to define the difference. So my opinion is based on the fact that if it has the queen's head on it then it's deemed as currency. Brits, sovs, predecimal and maybe coins from other countries cannot by law be changed from the state that it is in. Every time I buy some pre 1920s I except that the life of this coinage pretty much exists on eBay. It seems strange to me for the very reason I am buying a coin on the basis of spot, I am unable to use the product I am actually paying for. So I think of this as collecting.

Stacking to me is getting as much PM's as possible for as little as possible. So buying bars, chains, rounds, ect. You can actually use the product that you are paying for. Can melt it up, cut it up, what ever you wanna do with it. No laws.

As for the premium thing, it's only high because it's popular at the moment, wait a couple of months there will be some bargains to be had. Prices only go up to a point that people are willing to pay. Look at bitcoin, the price is huge, only standing on the basis that people are willing to pay huge prices for a popular item. A little while ago I found a newspaper in my mum's loft, it was from the early 70s, big two page spread in it, buy silver, it rumoured to make it big. The rumour has been around for many years and is no different from today. I feel it will happen one day and everyone loves a underdog story.

On 27/02/2021 at 15:46, Hannibal said:

Interesting approach!

I find particularly noticeable the fact that you collect gold only from your country (sovereigns) but you're more "lax", so to say, with your silver collecting habits.
I find this pretty noticeable, because in the course of years, I've drawn the conclusion that people tend to be more "serious / rigid" with their gold collecting habits, whereas on the other hand that is not the case with silver.
As a result of the fact that silver is much cheaper than gold, people tend to find (more) "easy joy", if I may use the expresion, in it, meaning that they tend to easily deviate from their PM stacking/collecting habits when they buy it.
In other words, when they buy silver they more easily buy what's more appealing and enjoyable for them at a given moment, whereas that is not that much the case when they buy gold.

As far as your note, that "if purchase any coins you are a collector...", I'm not so sure I agree with that, because I believe that a collector differentiates from a stacker, in the sense that he (the collector) is willing to pay a (much) higher premium over spot, to satisfy his desire to see and appreciate a rare, valuable piece in his collection.
That is not the case with stackers, whose primary - if not sole - concern is to buy as close to spot as possible, thinking of their PMs as a short of a savings account.
I personally believe, that if someone wants to give an honest answer to himself, as to whether he's a stacker or a collector, he simply needs to ask himself the following simple question:
"Am I willing to pay 20% (more or less) above spot to buy this piece, just because I like it?"
If the answer is "no", then he's a stacker.
If the answer is "yes", then he's a collector.
That's just what I think. 🙂

On the basis that I baulk at high premiums I must be a stacker😉

Which is a shame because I really like the Britannia designs but fractional premiums are too high for my tastes

So sovereigns it is until I can start stacking Britannia Ozzers

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

On the basis that I baulk at high premiums I must be a stacker😉

Which is a shame because I really like the Britannia designs but fractional premiums are too high for my tastes

So sovereigns it is until I can start stacking Britannia Ozzers

That is exactly the core difference between a stacker and a collector, in my view: baulking at high premiums.
By saying "Britannia Ozzers" I would assume you mean silver Britannias, because the gold ones don't generally trade for much above spot.

American Eagles pre 1933. The 10 Dollars Eagles, not the quarter, not the half, not the double. It's just the prototypic coin size in my perception. There are better designs but I just like it more than other gold coins. I'm not sure why, myself. Maybe because there is no king or queen on it. That's certainly a plus but I don't like the Vrenelis to the same extent. Maybe because it promotes the idea of liberty, literally. Maybe the colour. Maybe the ideal diameter and thickness. Maybe the fact that it was actually used to make payments. Maybe everything combined.

Not to a major extent

1/2 ounce. Only because of answer one, I don't actually have any other (roughly) 1/2 ounce coins, apart from double Sovereigns but I actually like full Sovereigns better.  Also for modern bullion it's better to go for 1/4 or 1 as they are both more popular and thus more liquid.

A stacker with a slight numismatic foible. I like to have coins that have actually been used for making payments but I don't like high premiums.

18 minutes ago, silenceissilver said:

numismatic foible.

That’s perfect! Love that 😊

I think you’re spot on when you say you prefer coins that have made a payment... there’s a history and heritage to them that means something.  Good stuff! 

On 27/02/2021 at 21:32, Bigmarc said:

bitcoin, the price is huge,

Mugs game - me thinks!  People bored and locked down at home trying to get rich quick and live a dream.  Pumped it! 

Stat is 2% of accounts hold 95% of Bitcoin.  People will make money, like the old gold rushes, but far more will be broken - like the old gold rushes. 

On 25/02/2021 at 02:56, Hannibal said:

- Old numismatic coins, at close to spot (sovereigns, LMU e.t.c.). Please, also specify if you care.
- Modern bullion coins. Please also specify if you care (American gold eagles, Wiener Philharmonics, Britannias, Canadian Maple Leafs e.t.c.). 

1) Modern bullion.

2) N/A

3) 1 ounce

4) Stacker for wealth preservation

2 hours ago, silenceissilver said:

American Eagles pre 1933. The 10 Dollars Eagles, not the quarter, not the half, not the double. It's just the prototypic coin size in my perception. There are better designs but I just like it more than other gold coins. I'm not sure why, myself. Maybe because there is no king or queen on it. That's certainly a plus but I don't like the Vrenelis to the same extent. Maybe because it promotes the idea of liberty, literally. Maybe the colour. Maybe the ideal diameter and thickness. Maybe the fact that it was actually used to make payments. Maybe everything combined.

Not to a major extent

1/2 ounce. Only because of answer one, I don't actually have any other (roughly) 1/2 ounce coins, apart from double Sovereigns but I actually like full Sovereigns better.  Also for modern bullion it's better to go for 1/4 or 1 as they are both more popular and thus more liquid.

A stacker with a slight numismatic foible. I like to have coins that have actually been used for making payments but I don't like high premiums.

"A stacker with a slight numismatic foible".
You said it all my friend!
It seems like we're brothers in arms! 😉😄

2 hours ago, Swampy said:

That’s perfect! Love that 😊

I think you’re spot on when you say you prefer coins that have made a payment... there’s a history and heritage to them that means something.  Good stuff! 

Exactly my point!

Archived