• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Has anyone else ever been sent less coins than they ordered?

MJ5050

I finally took the plunge and bought some silver coins from a well established dealer. I was absolutely gutted to see that they sent 10 less coins than I ordered and I have therefore been diddled out of over £300! I've just emailed the dealer and trust this will be resolved but I just wondered if this has ever happened to anyone else. This is the first time I've ever bought any coins so it's a pretty disappointing start, to put it mildly!!

Many thanks for your reply. I can fully understand you being intrigued as to who it is but it's only fair for me to allow the dealer to respond. I only discovered the shortfall this morning and emailed the dealer this morning. The dealer hasn't replied yet but they may not be at work until Monday. 

I am hoping it is a genuine mistake that can be fully resolved but I'm already getting a bit stressed over it and this is literally my first ever coin or metal transaction!

Many thanks for your interest. I should add that I checked the number 5 times and I also have 10 'spare' capsules that I ordered from the same dealer!! So I definitely have a shortfall of 10 coins!

In the old days, I'd probably be shouting the dealer's name from the rooftops already but I think it's only fair for me to give them a chance to resolve this.

Many thanks for all the replies. I'm trying not to stress about it too much!

That's an excellent idea to record every unpacking - I'll definitely do that in the future. 

No, they didn't leave a note about the shortfall - the invoice clearly shows 50 coins when only 40 were sent out - there were 2 capsules, each containing 20 coins.

I am hoping that they have their own video evidence when they packed the coins. Also, their stock control system should show they have an excess of 10 coins in stock.

That is excellent advice about the weight of the parcel - I shall also check the weight. I bought some capsules as well but the total weight should be lacking the weight of 10 coins. I honestly cannot see how someone in the postal system could have taken the coins out as all the packaging looked original and the 2 capsules with 20 coins in each were taped at the top.

I just checked the parcel and thankfully I didn't damage the courier's label when opening it so the weight of the parcel is still very clear. So the dealer should be able to realise that the parcel was light to the tune of 10 silver coins - 10 coins weigh a fair bit (well over 300g) so I'm hoping this will help. I haven't mentioned the weight of the parcel to the dealer yet - they still haven't replied to my email that I sent this morning but I'll give them until Monday to reply.

11 minutes ago, MJ5050 said:

I bought American silver Eagles - I bought 50 and received 2 tubes, each containing 20 coins.

Possible human error if they thought there's 25 coins per tube as with other mints.

I bought some capsules for the future too so the parcel weighed more but the bottom line is the weight of my total order must have been at least 300g lighter than the order stated on the invoice. 

Yes, I guess it could be human error if they assumed there's 25 coins per tube but it all seems pretty strange for an established dealer to mess this up. As I say, it's the first time I've ever bought any sort of bullion but once this is sorted out, I hope it won't put me off future purchases.

The tubes were Treasury United States Mint with green tops

2 hours ago, MJ5050 said:

I just checked the parcel and thankfully I didn't damage the courier's label when opening it so the weight of the parcel is still very clear. So the dealer should be able to realise that the parcel was light to the tune of 10 silver coins - 10 coins weigh a fair bit (well over 300g) so I'm hoping this will help. I haven't mentioned the weight of the parcel to the dealer yet - they still haven't replied to my email that I sent this morning but I'll give them until Monday to reply.

The problem is they may reject your complaint as some sellers request you to weigh the package when it arrives and reject it if off weight.

Yes it's definitely worth checking - in future I'm going to check the parcel straightaway and video the unboxing! I still haven't had a reply from the dealer but I'm hoping they will on Monday. At the end of the day, the difference in weight is indisputable

If they do reject the complaint, I shall be naming and shaming everywhere but let's hope it doesn't come to that!

The weight of the parcel is printed on the UPS parcel label so they can't dispute the weight - they will also have a record of how much it cost them to send the parcel and its weight at the time of shipping.

Also, in these crazy times, the parcel is simply left outside after a knock at the door! So it would be tricky to converse with the delivery driver, weigh it and speak to him about it! He simply signs for it himself and walks away.

I dread to think what would happen if the delivery driver left the parcel at the wrong house as he would sign for it and walk off!

I had a few inexpensive signed for parcels (not bullion) left outside the door and the postman didn't even knock! I only discovered them several hours after they were signed for (checking the Royal mail website to check the time of the postman's signature)

One time on ebay i bought a roll of silver dimes and they sent 49 and i told them. The seller sent the 1 extra dime and a wheat penny. I also had someone accidentally give me a roll of 51 silver dimes on ebay too.

Archived