• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Whats the best thing to buy?

theylivewesleep27

Hi, i'm completely new to stacking but i have become very interested in it. I have an enourmous retro video game collection which i am selling and i plan to buy gold and silver with the money. I should get between 4 and 5 thousand pounds from my sales. Now i'm thinking about either spending all of that on as many 1 oz gold britannia's i can get, then buy the more affordable silver variants each time i get paid from work. Or should i buy as much silver as possible? As i get a lot more for my money and i keep hearing people say that silver could become on par with gold at some point. Also I really like the 10 oz and 100 oz britannia bars, but are they really worth buying? I have to pay 20% on them and the premiums seen really high when they come up for sale.

Great time for gold in my opinion, you've come in at a good time against the last year. Britannias at 1 oz and full size or double sovereigns will get you the most gold for your Sterling currency. Look at getting a 5% over spot deal (or possibly better if you're buying a handful in one go) and you'll be doing well. Good catch coming here first, it's often after the first purchases people find this place (myself included). 

I've been a member a few weeks now. I have been collecting for years, just for the love of silver. I had never really heard of the term stacking up until a few months ago. Whilst being a member here I have come to the conclusion that I am probably already a stacker. 

This forum is brilliant for all the information, feels very welcoming and it's great to mix with people who share the same interest. It can also be very overwhelming for a newbie such as myself, what you have to remember is a lot of these guys have been doing this for years and are very good at it. The vast quantities that they have accumulated wouldn't have come from blowing all their cash in one hit. 

I would start small, learn a bit, use your cash to pick up some good deals. Before coming here I had never even considered gold (just wasn't my thing), but now I am resisting all temptation at the moment for premium membership as it will be like a kid in a sweet shop. 

There has always been some kind of premium on silver and is generally passed on to a certain extent, although they have never been this high since I have been collecting. The talk of gold and silver being equal value is a matter of opinion (depending on what YouTube channel you watch).

Anyway I'm starting to bore myself 😉 just have fun with it 

3 minutes ago, Liam84 said:

Great time for gold in my opinion, you've come in at a good time against the last year. Britannias at 1 oz and full size or double sovereigns will get you the most gold for your Sterling currency. Look at getting a 5% over spot deal (or possibly better if you're buying a handful in one go) and you'll be doing well. Good catch coming here first, it's often after the first purchases people find this place (myself included). 

I've not really looked into sovereigns. Is there any advantage to them over the britannias? Other than being cheaper? I thought they were more of a collectors coin?

1 minute ago, theylivewesleep27 said:

I've not really looked into sovereigns. Is there any advantage to them over the britannias? Other than being cheaper? I thought they were more of a collectors coin?

Often one of the cheaper premiums on bullion sovs. Plus they have the advantage of being smaller than 1oz so if you need some cash easy to liquidate into £300 at most pawn shops and jewellers.

In short people are obsessed with sovereigns personally I'm not. They have alot of history almost like your rolex historical brand compared to say Richard mille, both expensive but people like the heritage and the history  and I get that. 

They are the most liquid, if you stacking big numbers capital gains tax free 

For me I like my south American peru, Chile, mexican gold and European rarities but everyone's different I have this idea in my head of gun slinging in the wild West and amazon rainforest with gold but I am sad clearly lol 

I stack a cheap old sovereign monthly. 1 and 1/2 if i'm not buying any expensive proofs. Silver can be bought cheaply and  easily when there is supplyso i always buy my chosen gold first then some bullion gold then some oz's of silver. just remember there are larger sovereigns out there too.

4 minutes ago, theylivewesleep27 said:

They were first and foremost bullion, there have been collector's proofs to go along with that and older/more unusual versions are in the numismatic category but they usually represent the the lowest premium over spot for gold especially considering their weight. A spit under 8 grams each at 22K with 7.32 grams of fine gold but with the premium of much heavier 24K coins like the 1oz Britannias. Loads of info on various sites, do an evenings reading for peace of mind and start pulling that trigger 👍🏻

13 minutes ago, theylivewesleep27 said:

That said there's loads of options. Look into Capital Gains Tax, it may affect you later down the line. Do some forum searching here and scan the dealer's sites. The trade section here has great deals for when you're ready to buy.

18 hours ago, Leonmarsh said:

In short people are obsessed with sovereigns personally I'm not. They have alot of history almost like your rolex historical brand compared to say Richard mille, both expensive but people like the heritage and the history  and I get that. 

They are the most liquid, if you stacking big numbers capital gains tax free 

For me I like my south American peru, Chile, mexican gold and European rarities but everyone's different I have this idea in my head of gun slinging in the wild West and amazon rainforest with gold but I am sad clearly lol 

I'm with you, as regards the SA and Mexican gold.   At least in my area, they are still available with some of the lowest premiums around.  In addition, the designs are quite attractive and varied.  I also really like the continental (sovereign sized) gold.  Again, for the varied, attractive designs, but supply has been drying up rapidly here.

I think with a budget of 4-5K a 100 ounce bar or a few Britannias are a bad idea. You don't want too much of your total stack in one piece. I'd say no single piece should make up more than 10% at the very maximum. Sovereigns are more liquid and easier to sell privately and I think also internationally, in case you'd ever sell them abroad for some reason. However, I think the Britannia is catching up with the other one ounce coins and might do further with the new security features.

Gold is more stable, silver fluctuates more which also means, silver could gain more value (or go down more than gold of course).

For silver, the question of storing is something that potentially needs more thoughts compared to a few gold coins that you can easily hide. Do you want to buy a proper safe? (Don't even think about cr.p safes they are not worth it) Have them stored at cost (higher costs for more space, thus more costs for silver)?

If I would start anew and with this budget, I'd go for a bullion Sovereign collection of the different common heads (and two different common reverses) but that's just my personal taste.

If I had £4k or so to invest right now and didn't have any precious metals already, I would definitely put most of into gold at the moment.

Gold is the cheapest it's been for nearly a year.  I'd buy one, maybe two 1 oz coins (probably a 2021 Britannia and a 2021 Royal Arms), and a double sovereign.  
Sovereigns are great but they are quite tiny and you may be underwhelmed with your purchase.

I might also buy a 10 oz silver Royal Arms or Valiant coin, just for the bling factor.

Enjoy your decisions and subsequent purchases.

• 2 weeks later...

My advice is to buy gold sovereign ( you can check at Atkinsons their offer for 10x 2021 full sovereign bundle  today £3122, free post it is a good price ) and you can buy with your leftovers some nice silver 1 or 10 oz from this site, at a good price as well, between £26-28/oz it is a good deal. Don't go to 100oz silver bars. Are expensive and difficult to sell.

Good luck!

Stefan.

2 minutes ago, stefffana said:

My advice is to buy gold sovereign ( you can check at Atkinsons their offer for 10x 2021 full sovereign bundle  today £3122, free post it is a good price ) and you can buy with your leftovers some nice silver 1 or 10 oz from this site, at a good price as well, between £26-28/oz it is a good deal. Don't go to 100oz silver bars. Are expensive and difficult to sell.

Good luck!

Stefan.

Also, if you buy sovereigns, yo can put them in a nice case. Look very impressive. £9.99 on Ebay. image.png.132e21ff38d0130cfdf0c4196b2b6f3a.png

Was going to post a new thread but it seems my question would fit perfectly in here. Given a budget of around 280-300 gbp per month, would going for sovereigns be my best bet right now, with silver being what it is? 

It's the choice I'm leaning to the most heavily, and it would probably mean picking up one sov every payday for the next little while. 

Alternatively, go all in on silver, or save up to buy 1oz gold coins less frequently.

I'm very happy to have found this forum for some sounds thoughts, thank you!

Hi rlingford,

Short answer - yes

Gold imo is a better buy than silver currently, especially with VAT and the ludicrously high premiums on Silver.

In my humble opinion, I would buy platinum over silver also - but that's just my opinion. I will be dropping a couple of £££s soon outside of my gold spend, and I think I'm going to direct that to a couple of ounces of platinum rather than silver (even though I would get more in weight terms for the silver).

🙂

1 hour ago, stefffana said:

Also, if you buy sovereigns, yo can put them in a nice case. Look very impressive. £9.99 on Ebay. image.png.132e21ff38d0130cfdf0c4196b2b6f3a.png

It might add a couple of quid more per Sovereign in your collection, if you are a collector rather than a stacker but one of @Alun’s Sovereign boxes might be a nicer way of displaying a few thousand quids worth of coins: 

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/38913-solid-wooden-coin-boxes/?tab=comments#comment-436505

1 hour ago, richatthecroft said:

It might add a couple of quid more per Sovereign in your collection, if you are a collector rather than a stacker but one of @Alun’s Sovereign boxes might be a nicer way of displaying a few thousand quids worth of coins: 

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/38913-solid-wooden-coin-boxes/?tab=comments#comment-436505

I totally agree with you, but let him be first stacker and then collector.😊 For bullion sovereigns is good enough the first one. After few years, he can buy THE BOX for his " My Precious... ".😎😆🤗

1 hour ago, rlingford said:

Was going to post a new thread but it seems my question would fit perfectly in here. Given a budget of around 280-300 gbp per month, would going for sovereigns be my best bet right now, with silver being what it is? 

It's the choice I'm leaning to the most heavily, and it would probably mean picking up one sov every payday for the next little while. 

Alternatively, go all in on silver, or save up to buy 1oz gold coins less frequently.

I'm very happy to have found this forum for some sounds thoughts, thank you!

Personal I wouldn't go all in on one thing, keep some of the budget behind, always useful to have a bit of floating money to grab some bargains, there is always that one time someone a miss spelt something on eBay and you need a quick 500 quid. It all depends what your goal is, what do you want to achieve.

No-one knows what the market is going to do, premiums are high because it's popular at the moment. All depends on personal outlook. When gold and silver leave the ground, the price is set. Both metals go on the same journey to become a Britannia in your hand. One you pay £75 more than spot, the other about £12 more. Just another Look at it.

Archived