• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold from the US.

Doot72

I’ve ordered some gold and platinum from the US, am I likely to get hit with any charges at all, are they vat free when bringing them in from America? Any customs charges etc.

They are 1g bars, I’m hoping for the best as no silver involved, appreciate any informative input guys and gals.

thanks.

Agree with RII288

If you are unlucky (as I have been in the past) Au imported from abroad had a 20% VAT charge attached - which was an error, but somewhat hassle some to sort out!

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Out of curiosity how come you ordered from the US? With shipping and customs considered I don’t think I’ve ever seen a deal worth going for. That and the amount of different hands required to get it from A to B would add a layer of uncertainty (unless you have excellent courier insurance of course). Not asking for you to slip your source out into the open 😄, as I said I’m just curious.

On another note I’m wondering how many members would be up for buying shares in a transoceanic catamaran with me? Our cousins over the pond get it pretty good with the shiny stuff. I’m sure I must have Irish relatives that work a dock somewhere on the east coast...🤔

On 18/02/2021 at 07:57, Liam84 said:

Out of curiosity how come you ordered from the US? With shipping and customs considered I don’t think I’ve ever seen a deal worth going for. That and the amount of different hands required to get it from A to B would add a layer of uncertainty (unless you have excellent courier insurance of course). Not asking for you to slip your source out into the open 😄, as I said I’m just curious.

On another note I’m wondering how many members would be up for buying shares in a transoceanic catamaran with me? Our cousins over the pond get it pretty good with the shiny stuff. I’m sure I must have Irish relatives that work a dock somewhere on the east coast...🤔

I was after a couple of the heraeus 10g goldseed multidiscs and couldn’t find any over here at the time, shipping was reasonable and didn’t expect to be charged anything on investment gold.

On 17/02/2021 at 14:38, dicker said:

Agree with RII288

If you are unlucky (as I have been in the past) Au imported from abroad had a 20% VAT charge attached - which was an error, but somewhat hassle some to sort out!

Best

Dicker

just received this, oh the joys 😡 anybody know of an easy way to sort this out?.

666FE277-C71B-4FF5-9D2B-A32EA4922DFF.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Doot72 said:

I was after a couple of the heraeus 10g goldseed multidiscs and couldn’t find any over here at the time, shipping was reasonable and didn’t expect to be charged anything on investment gold.

just received this, oh the joys 😡 anybody know of an easy way to sort this out?.

666FE277-C71B-4FF5-9D2B-A32EA4922DFF.jpeg

I think the government charges are VAT so you may be able to claim that back if you can prove it’s investment gold... not full compliant on that but sure that’s the case...the handling fees I believe are what they are unfortunately

3 minutes ago, Rll1288 said:

I think the government charges are VAT so you may be able to claim that back if you can prove it’s investment gold... not full compliant on that but sure that’s the case...the handling fees I believe are what they are unfortunately

Yeah, I think it’s vat too, can live with the (brokerage charge), that’s not too bad,

But saying that if I don’t need to pay vat as it’s 1g bars of 999 investment gold, why should I pay a brokerage charge either.

I’m thinking the sender hasn’t labelled it as gold and vats just been charged on the value of the package.

Ironic thing is I’ve not heard a sausage about my platinum that’s coming from elsewhere, I don’t mind a hit on that as it will be due and that’s fair enough.

I’ll probably have another invoice to put up on here tomorrow lol 😂😂😭😭

That's not VAT on that form, but 'government charges' needs clarification. A simple web search doesn't immediately present an answer, I keep getting the investment gold VAT stuff. If it was me I'd call UPS and ask for a specific explanation.

Archived