• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Are you still buying silver?

Yetiwatch

8 hours ago, Witcher said:

I am still buying...  8 ASE and 2 Maples today.  
I might slow down now...  but thanks to those who bought from me.  

That is sweet. 😀. I hope to get a Maple one day....

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been buying and selling on for a while but got a bit of a sting in the tail today ...........£500 bill on top of my order 😢

Bought three time from Europe since Brexit and had no extra bills but it finally caught up with me and now I’m sitting with 80 very expensive 1oz silver coins , bit reluctant to sell them on , might as well just hold on to them as a reminder when it all ended for me as a Silver flipper 😢

unless someone is interested in some very high premium silver 1oz coins ? 😂😂

3 hours ago, TommyTwoShots said:

What’s the best way to buy silver when on holiday in the US? Can I get it delivered to my hotel?

A coin shop. I'll deliver to your hotel... You in Chicago?

Still buying. Just bought another tube, paid around £25 per Britannia ounce on Eldorado Coins. Storing my coins in Germany, so no VAT due to importing.

Long-term I think, we will see silver prices in the triple digits, so it doesn't matter to me if I pay £20 or £25 per ounce.

As in all previous stock market crashes/ corrections metals fell as well - I have set money aside to take advantage of cheaper prices. Let's see what happens in 2021.

48 minutes ago, KPW82 said:

I picked up two 1oz .999 D day commemorative coins with COA's for £14 each last week on Ebay.. there are still bargains to be had if you look hard enough.

I did cancel that bargain out by getting two 1oz Una bars from the RM the other day at £35 an oz though 🤣

I haven't purchased in a while as the premiums are too high currently, in my opinion.  Some deals (even on the forum) are 40-50% above spot price.  So you'd need around £30 an ounce spot to break even.  I had an email from my dealer for some "low premium" 2 oz coins going for a whopping 55% above spot (including VAT).  Excluding VAT price was still 29.76% above spot.

10 hours ago, StackerCollector said:

Long-term I think, we will see silver prices in the triple digits, so it doesn't matter to me if I pay £20 or £25 per ounce.

😂😂😂 Triple digits as in per 1oz tube, is the only triple digits you will ever see in silver. 

2 hours ago, Witcher said:

for what?  2021 ASE? 
I personally would not because I got some for less previous to the huge hike. 
Actually, the best LCS in my area sells the 2021 ASE for $1-2 more than the others. 

If it was a tube of 1996, then I would probably buy it.

Its for a random date roll of bu eagles.

I think silver is a dead investment now.

Wouldn't touch it at these prices but boy am I thankful for the silver I own. VAT is simply a investment killer.

If gold come back to the £1k range that's something I'd consider but as it stands there is much better investments out there. For example I like dividend paying oil stocks

Just now, Witcher said:

Then you are looking at silver the wrong way. 
To compare it to oil stock or any stock only shows that you are only seeking fiat monetary gain. 
That is not the reason many of us here acquire PMs. 

We all look at it in our own way.

I've been stacking since 2012 so I have built up a good stack and have no rush to purchase more. There are many other places I'd rather put my money than silver at these prices. Even something like overpaying my mortgage is more preferable to me.

Silver is great insurance of course but at these prices with VAT I cannot see it as a wise investment. It's a way to get out of fiat yes but ultimately it' s still a investment. No one is buying silver with a plan to loose purchasing power but when you're hit paying 20% VAT at these current high premium prices it's a loosing battle straight off the bat.

I love gold and it's fantastic not having the VAT problem but it also has its own issues. The lack of industrial use is a big negative compared with silver. Its value is really based on perception and that perception could change. No different than fiat other than its supply is limited.

14 hours ago, MrTT said:

Best place to buy bullion, if you live in asia.

https://www.bullionstar.com/ singapore

I tried this. but they only deliver to singapore.

My biggest problem is... online dealers do not deliver to my country. 

all i have is one local online dealer. which has very limited selection and higher premiums.  That is why i considered Chinese silver bars ( They deliver and has reasonable premiums )

Thank you for suggesting. :)

9 hours ago, Minimalist said:

You are going to regret this, especially in this decade.

I won't regret anything, I am already sitting on a good stack of silver purchased years ago. My silver has doubled in price since I bought it thanks to the VAT changes. But I am not going to purchase more at these prices.

8 hours ago, Witcher said:

Precious metals have intrinsic value. Fiat does not. 
Fiat, digital or paper, is solely alive because of a false perception of value. 
Precious metals have always had value. Limited supply is one thing, but that alone is reason enough over fiat. 

I bet you would have a different perception if there was no VAT. 
I have my thoughts, but have you all over there in the UK wondered why there is the VAT to begin with? 

I agree that prices seem high relative to what we are accustomed to. 
It is tough... looking at generic for over $30 when that was the typical price for higher premium silver. 

I would agree to get rid of any debt (including any mortgage). 
Some people are talking about land and typically I would say that is a good idea except... 
The prices for it are inflated and that bubble is going to burst... worse than 2008.  
And... I get the notion that governments, though devious schemes, naturally, will start implementing a ridiculous tax. 
Once people are unable to pay said ridiculous tax, they (devious bastards) will swoop in and confiscate the land. 
They did this in America in the early 1930's, which led many to stop trusting the banks. Too bad they trusted them to begin with. 
These plannedemic lockdowns are a part of the plan to put people in a desperate situation. 

We already have evil souls like Gates buying up tons of land.  These are specific lands for mines and farming.  
Since you are confident in your stack, then it makes sense to sit by.  
What I am seeing is a high demand for the physical still no matter what the paper traders are doing. 

If spot continues to drop... I do foresee a shortage in supply.  There may be a deliberate halt on the supply end, though I cannot verify that.
No one will sell unless truly desperate or scared because they don't understand that this is a long game and not short one. 
I have a very limited course of action so investing in the market is not possible for me.  

Yes I understand that, that's why I've been buying for many years. Perhaps I was broad with my post. I am a believer in precious metals and my view is based on someone who already has a great stack built up. It's my favourite investment as it's the only asset I can think that is something I truly have ownership and control of. It allows me to sleep very easy at night and the reason I got into precious metals is while researching how to protect my hard earned money. It's done a fantastic job over the years and I currently sit at about 8% in gold and 7% in silver. 15% total in metals which I am very comfortable with. Another reason I got into metals was that the more I read about banks the less I trusted them. I also always had a hard time believing the illusion of wealth being digits on a screen not to mention the constant money printing.

My view on gold is exactly that. It does not have a true use but of course it has thousands of years history of being money thanks to its unique properties and limited supply. I own more gold than silver but it would be foolish to own only gold for this one reason. Silver is the perfect hedge to gold with its large industrial use. Gold for the historical use, silver for the industrial use.

VAT is the killer. I cannot justify a investment where I am taxed 20% from the start. It simply doesn't work for me personally. Silver is volatile, the price is manipulated of course due to the paper markets but in my opinion that will continue. The current premiums are not going to last forever, there is a surge in demand and a lack of supply but that will work itself out. Even without VAT I wouldn't be a buyer at these prices because I expect silver to come back down as with any asset that has a good run up. I don't see myself buying silver again due to VAT. I would potentially buy more gold but aside from that I'd rather buy either crypto or emerging market stocks.

As for the pandemic I agree, the actions taken by governments do not justify the risks of Covid which is extremely low for 99.9% of people. The world will never be the same again, we've given away too many freedoms and privacy. Much like the increased surveillance/security checks after 9/11 that never went away.

Land is something I've researched. I agree with it being inflated and tax is a huge risk with both land and property. The reason why I wouldn't sell my stack to pay off my mortgage is because of that risk. It's not a asset you can truly own but it is in my interest to pay it off sooner rather than later. Another issue with land in the UK is you have absolutely no rights over what you can do with it. Most land does not have building permission and even from what I've read you cannot convert it into a farm or small business. The only hope is that eventually the land will be granted permission to build on.

6 hours ago, mironlang said:

I tried this. but they only deliver to singapore.

My biggest problem is... online dealers do not deliver to my country. 

all i have is one local online dealer. which has very limited selection and higher premiums.  That is why i considered Chinese silver bars ( They deliver and has reasonable premiums )

Thank you for suggesting. :)

They ship worldwide.

Just choose "Shipping by Courier from Singapore"

2 hours ago, Witcher said:

Kings do not pay tax. Therefore, people are not kings of their "castle"/home/land. 

In the UK I don't believe you have to pay council tax on vacant land. You do when it has a lived in dwelling on, as part of the tax is for things such as refuse removal.

Council tax also funds local police and fire etc so it isn't directly a "land tax" 

On 05/03/2021 at 22:30, Witcher said:

If you did not know, it is the same in America as well.  I do not know anyone who truly "owns" land.  No one has an allodial title.  People attempt to argue with me, but it ends the moment I ask... do you pay "property tax"? 
Kings do not pay tax. Therefore, people are not kings of their "castle"/home/land. 
It was not always so in America.  

I hope so... there are some coins/rounds that I would like to get.  I don't think silver had it's "run" yet.  I think it got to the ramp, but the manipulators put many road blocks to stop it from jumping. 
I don't fault you for not buying.  You are satisfied with what you have and that is all that matters. 

I did not know that. Always assumed that America was a bit more free in terms of land laws.

I don't think silver has had its run in terms of long term. But for now I think it will come back down. However, I don't accept the idea that silver could ever reach the hyped levels like $100+

Either way personally yes I have a good stack and won't be purchasing more. Mostly due to the VAT, it's killed the investment for me. I had a feeling this was going to happen after Brexit and wish I purchased a lot of silver prior.

15 hours ago, Witcher said:

There is a guy I listen to regularly....  he was born and raised in the Philippines. 
He was talking about his views and why he has such views. 
He said that the government there is very oppressive and now he sees the same thing in America. 
He is not a precious metals guru.  His specialty is technology especially concerning privacy. 
Since this is not of this topic, please inquire via private message for more information. 

In my view oppressions always defend on an individuals knowledge and actions. I agree that USA is bit by bit losing its precious freedom.

The Philippines is a former commonwealth of the USA. The situation here has spiraled from better to worse since the country's independence.

Archived