• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

New Fractional Silver Britannia! … The Shape of Things to Come?

NeutronJack

On 13/02/2021 at 04:17, Scuzzle said:

To go to the bother of making a 1/4 oc Britannia I would like to think this is a pre emption of silver prices rising and keeping those on a lower buget involved in much the same way fractional gold works.  Might just be hopium on my part though.

That's how I see it. I suspect the mints realize how much higher the metals are going. They see the need to get ahead of the move.

I think it's a cool coin.  Hopefully they'll do some 1/2 ounces as well.

The premiums don't really bother me as a collector of shiny stuff - if you think about it the premium right now charged by RM on a one ounce coin is around £10 per coin (before VAT). The premium on a fractional is less than £2 with the same manufacturing costs (based on a tube of 16 x 1/10 oz Brits in the States selling for around £56).

If anything, per coin, the fractionals look better value for money (as a coin, not as a weight of silver). Couple that with a constant demand for any fractional Britannias make these quarter ounces something i will definitely be getting. If they let me 🙄.

Obviously people buying only for silver weight will not see any value in them.

On 13/02/2021 at 11:04, NeutronJack said:

Interesting to note that The Royal Mint is apparently adding a 1/4oz BU version of the Britannia to its silver bullion range in 2021.

Like the 1oz version, it will be .999’s fine silver and each coin will have a face value of GBP 0.50 (fifty pence).

A full tube will consist of 19 coins, whilst a full monster box will consist of 380 coins.

Not currently listed on The Royal Mint website, as far as I can see. But, available for pre-order from The European Mint, GoldSilver.be, and LPM.

If silver prices continue to rise, I guess this presents a viable alternative for stackers on a limited budget. However, there’s likely to a considerable added premium for coins of this size, as well as VAT for those in the UK.

Current images also indicate that this new 1/4oz version won’t have all the same new security features as the 2021 1oz silver Britannia.

1144306610_uk-14-oz-silver-britannia-2021-p50-bu(1).jpg.7e0c014800606d606fe79d0093551717.jpg

629459354_uk-14-oz-silver-britannia-2021-p50-bu(2).jpg.9cde0fa7a29a69aef155e9bf094fbf20.jpg

Interested to know the thoughts of others on this new release.

NeutronJack

See these on ebay pre sale for £24.99. He also wants £225 postage lol.

It's unfortunate that we can't buy 1/10 oz Brits in the UK for £56 a tube - only in the US.

Basically the RM manufacture them, transport them to American dealers and still only charge just over bullion prices. Meanwhile the poor buggers in the UK then have to pay a secondary market premium (or flip tax), import VAT and charges to get them back to the UK. Madness.

My comparison was to show the per coin premium not the additional profits/duty etc UK buyers end up paying... 🙄

The premiums for the fractional ones are high but they are neat to have.

I have these since I thought they are neat:

SS Gairsoppa Britannia 2013 UK Quarter-Ounce Silver Coin

SS Gairsoppa Britannia 2014 UK Quarter-Ounce Silver Coin

2020 Standing Britannia - Bullion - Jody Clark Portrait - 1/10 ounce - 20 pence

I missed out on getting these two.

2006 Standing Britannia 1/10 ounce

2011 Billowing Union Flag 1/2 Ounce

Now I need to add this 2021 1/4 ounce one to my want list.

• 1 month later...
On 13/02/2021 at 11:04, NeutronJack said:

Interesting to note that The Royal Mint is apparently adding a 1/4oz BU version of the Britannia to its silver bullion range in 2021.

Like the 1oz version, it will be .999’s fine silver and each coin will have a face value of GBP 0.50 (fifty pence).

A full tube will consist of 19 coins, whilst a full monster box will consist of 380 coins.

Not currently listed on The Royal Mint website, as far as I can see. But, available for pre-order from The European Mint, GoldSilver.be, and LPM.

If silver prices continue to rise, I guess this presents a viable alternative for stackers on a limited budget. However, there’s likely to a considerable added premium for coins of this size, as well as VAT for those in the UK.

Current images also indicate that this new 1/4oz version won’t have all the same new security features as the 2021 1oz silver Britannia.

Interested to know the thoughts of others on this new release.

NeutronJack

The production cost for fractional sizes is always relatively high, even on many gold issues, and for silver it just makes them too expensive as a serious investment bullion coin.

It is usually the dodgy coin marketing companies who sell them to the inexperienced (a.k.a. suckers). We don't believe in it.

Even proof ones as numismatic or collector coins, because of the small size, the design detail gets lost.

One ounce coins are generally better in all respects.

The case for fractional sizes in gold or platinum is much stronger, because of affordability, but also because of relatively lower production costs compared with intrinsic value.

Chards

1 hour ago, NeutronJack said:

Thanks for your sharing your thoughts on this @LawrenceChard

I fully agree with you.

Of course, this then begs the question: why do this ... and why now, specifically?

Bearing in mind, it's the Royal Mint.

NeutronJack

I am guessing...

It is an extra product, at an additional price point. The RM do sell direct to all sorts of people, possibly buying as gifts, and some distrubutors and dealers will buy it, mainly  the dodgy coin marketing companies who sell them to the inexperienced (a.k.a. suckers), as I already said. In some countries, some distributors may have an "exclusive".

I can, rather cynically, imagine some of the advertising: "The latest silver Britannia coin, only £14.95" or similar.

Of course, if you wait a few years, there may be some cheap ones on the market, but they might be scruffy.

Chards