• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Are Gold Nuggets Addictive?

I’m amazed the power this stuff holds over me. I’m utterly besotted by it.

Ive done a little panning, nothing serious and I’ve never found more than a few grains... 

However a few years ago I stumped up and brought a good sized chunk Australian nugget, spending just under a grand. 

I instantly fell in love with the unnatural weight, the cold smooth surface... Unlike a coin, I found myself repeatedly getting it out to hold, it’s tactical shape was utterly alluring.

Lucky as I am, I managed to secure 20g of small nuggets for under £30 a gram, from someone who needed money fast and made an offer that was impossible to turn down.

And that was me, really hooked! Since then my ‘stack’ has grown and grown... 

Some of my nuggets are the most beautiful things I own. Under a scope you can clearly see its structure, how it’s grown. Some with quartz crystals growing together creating images very pleasing to the eye!

People talk about ‘gold fever’, men who gave up everything during the gold rush days gone by... I get it! It has almost a supernatural ‘hold’ over me. 

Does anyone else have the bug? 

It’s good investment material with collectors paying significantly over spot price for the shape they fancy... 

Many thanks, Elliot

Check out my ebay store, buy direct and get at least 10% discount. https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/investincoins888

On 07/02/2021 at 18:27, Leonmarsh said:

Would love a Nugget a big one but always worry about purity etc etc 

I don't really have any weigh of checking it 

It’s really very difficult to fake a gold nugget. The only natural choice would be Pyrite, ‘fools gold’, however it’s pretty obvious... It ‘grows’ in angular, cuboids, crushes under pressure (you can’t crush gold) and the weight is all wrong. Being one of the densest materials on earth, a nugget of gold has an almost unnatural weight to it.  

Testing of gold nuggets if you were really concerned can be done inexpensively through the acid test. Nitric acid can be purchased on ebay for a few pounds and unlike a coin, you don’t need to worry about an acid test ruining the value. 

Being a natural product Gold comes in a variety of purity, yet it would be a mistake (in my opinion) to attempt to process it. It’s widely accepted that gold nuggets are worth more than ‘spot price’, due to its rarity. It does not matter to a gold nugget collector, they are looking for a host of features, 24ct gold is not one of them.

The wide range of gold nuggets available amaze me... It’s unique, natural and really very rare.

The most common type is ‘Placer’ gold, it’s been naturally eroded away from its host rock and it comes in a huge variety of colours, sizes and shapes. It can be found in traditional nugget shapes or can be polished over time into ‘pebble’ shapes by running water.can be smooth having spent a great deal of time being ‘polished’ by water. Generally speaking the larger the nugget, the rarer it is and the more valuable (not just down to the weight) it is. However sometimes collectors can go crazy with their wallets for interesting shapes.

Gold can sometimes be found in quartz. This is STUNNINGLY beautiful to look at, particularly under a scope. It’s really very rare to find and therefore more valuable. It can fetch 2-3 times the spot value, weight wise.

Crystalline gold is very rare and tends to grow on its own, is not part of another rock or quartz. This type of gold is very rare and difficult to find making it more expensive than placer gold nuggets or gold found in quartz.

Then there are gold nugget crystals! This is when the nugget has one or more very distinct crystalline structure to it. These are the rarest type of gold that can be found, they are phenomenally beautiful things and can fetch many more x spot value.

Many thanks, Elliot

Check out my ebay store, buy direct and get at least 10% discount. https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/investincoins888

1 minute ago, Leonmarsh said:

You got any for sale lol 

Ha ha ha!

Its a real problem! I obviously have my own portfolio/collection, I’ve been passionate about collecting coins for over 40 years! I’ve been hooked by nuggets for quite a few years now and have been panning on a number of occasions... I LOVE my nugget collection. I do keep buying bits with the express expectation of selling it on and then end up letting my personal collection eat it up!

So no... However I am ALWAYS buying, for the right price!

Many thanks, Elliot

15 minutes ago, InvestInCoins888 said:

It’s really very difficult to fake a gold nugget. The only natural choice would be Pyrite, ‘fools gold’, however it’s pretty obvious... It ‘grows’ in angular, cuboids, crushes under pressure (you can’t crush gold) and the weight is all wrong. Being one of the densest materials on earth, a nugget of gold has an almost unnatural weight to it.  

Testing of gold nuggets if you were really concerned can be done inexpensively through the acid test. Nitric acid can be purchased on ebay for a few pounds and unlike a coin, you don’t need to worry about an acid test ruining the value. 

Being a natural product Gold comes in a variety of purity, yet it would be a mistake (in my opinion) to attempt to process it. It’s widely accepted that gold nuggets are worth more than ‘spot price’, due to its rarity. It does not matter to a gold nugget collector, they are looking for a host of features, 24ct gold is not one of them.

The wide range of gold nuggets available amaze me... It’s unique, natural and really very rare.

The most common type is ‘Placer’ gold, it’s been naturally eroded away from its host rock and it comes in a huge variety of colours, sizes and shapes. It can be found in traditional nugget shapes or can be polished over time into ‘pebble’ shapes by running water.can be smooth having spent a great deal of time being ‘polished’ by water. Generally speaking the larger the nugget, the rarer it is and the more valuable (not just down to the weight) it is. However sometimes collectors can go crazy with their wallets for interesting shapes.

Gold can sometimes be found in quartz. This is STUNNINGLY beautiful to look at, particularly under a scope. It’s really very rare to find and therefore more valuable. It can fetch 2-3 times the spot value, weight wise.

Crystalline gold is very rare and tends to grow on its own, is not part of another rock or quartz. This type of gold is very rare and difficult to find making it more expensive than placer gold nuggets or gold found in quartz.

Then there are gold nugget crystals! This is when the nugget has one or more very distinct crystalline structure to it. These are the rarest type of gold that can be found, they are phenomenally beautiful things and can fetch many more x spot value.

There is a video on YouTube you might like I'll try and find it its 24ct in quartz think it was made into a lighter or something 

• 4 months later...
On 11/02/2021 at 17:19, Leonmarsh said:

You got any for sale lol 

Hi,

I have some unique gold nuggets for sale and have been looking for interested buyers when I came across this forum. I am a genuine seller. Please contact me if you're interested. 

4 hours ago, Mandy22 said:

Hi,

I have some unique gold nuggets for sale and have been looking for interested buyers when I came across this forum. I am a genuine seller. Please contact me if you're interested. 

I've removed your email address.  Any members can contact you via PM.

If you have some to sell you can list them here for sale on the forum in the selling/buying section.  Here's a link to the quick start guide.

https://www.thesilverforum.com/forum/13-united-kingdom-ungraded/

• 4 weeks later...