• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Ratio of silver/gold

StevenM

Afternoon, 

I am after some advice.

I started collecting silver in the middle of last year, what sort of ratio of silver/gold is good to have? 

I have no gold at all at the moment, I am thinking of starting with some sovereigns. This is just due to cost etc as 1oz coins/bars are just too much for me to invest in per month.  

All advice welcome :) 

Thanks. 

Perhaps a good ratio over time is 50 / 50 by value.
It can be daunting the first time you purchase a gold bar weighing a few grams or a coin like a half sovereign or tenth Britannia.
When you open the package and at the same time say to yourself " how much did I just pay for this .. ? "
It takes a while to sink in so be prepared when your first gold turns up.

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Perhaps a good ratio over time is 50 / 50 by value.
It can be daunting the first time you purchase a gold bar weighing a few grams or a coin like a half sovereign or tenth Britannia.
When you open the package and at the same time say to yourself " how much did I just pay for this .. ? "
It takes a while to sink in so be prepared when your first gold turns up.

That's why I was thinking sovereigns for now and just stick to them until I get a good balance of silver/gold. have to keep my hands in my pockets and stop finding all these silver bargains on the forums 😄

Just now, StevenM said:

That's why I was thinking sovereigns for now and just stick to them until I get a good balance of silver/gold. have to keep my hands in my pockets and stop finding all these silver bargains on the forums 😄

A "bargain" generally means a purchase below an average or median price or at least a great value purchase.
You are less likely to get a "bargain" buying gold but you will come across "bargains" buying silver coins.
Gold is priced from the best places with very little spread on price, unlike silver which has a big spread.
Don't forget to include any costs of shipping / insurance

1 hour ago, StevenM said:

I have no gold at all at the moment, I am thinking of starting with some sovereigns. This is just due to cost etc as 1oz coins/bars are just too much for me to invest in per month.  

Personally, I would give Glint a look. You can buy gold at 0.5% over spot and spend it when you like with a master card. It also enables you to buy other currencies at the same rate which is good if we are ever allowed to travel again!

I would also hold some gold at home. Personally, I own no silver, just gold. I wouldn't pay more than £25 an oz for silver either, but that might turn out to be be mistake one day.

https://glintpay.com/

try to work out the purpose of each metal and buy as much as you need of each one

independently. this will allow you to create a correct ratio that is unique to you.

recognising the gsr is one thing but sticking rigidly to it is probably not the best way to go.

HH

46 minutes ago, CosmikDebris said:

Personally, I would give Glint a look. You can buy gold at 0.5% over spot and spend it when you like with a master card. It also enables you to buy other currencies at the same rate which is good if we are ever allowed to travel again!

I would also hold some gold at home. Personally, I own no silver, just gold. I wouldn't pay more than £25 an oz for silver either, but that might turn out to be be mistake one day.

https://glintpay.com/

Thanks, but I am after physical investments :) 

24 minutes ago, HawkHybrid said:

try to work out the purpose of each metal and buy as much as you need of each one

independently. this will allow you to create a correct ratio that is unique to you.

recognising the gsr is one thing but sticking rigidly to it is probably not the best way to go.

HH

Yeah I have no gold and just wanted a rough guide... I have no real goals at the moment just starting out.

Whatever works for you will work, though I'd say that stacking gold requires a lot less space that stacking silver in terms of locking up your cash. If you're just starting out, I would say go for anywhere between 60-80% silver and about 20% gold. It'll give you a chance to try some designs in silver and enjoy those. Gold is great to have but of course is a bigger barrier to get in as opposed to silver. Starting out with a couple of Sovs is probably the best way to go, but I'd encourage to not shy away from other smaller gold coins, considering 1/4 oz coins or some older currency coins. Pesos seem to be quite popular, I particularly enjoy the Dutch 10 Guilder coins and these are much more affordable than standard 1oz gold coins.

Archived