• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Thoughts on buying platinum?

Foster88

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, Mothballjim said:

After reading through this thread, I’m tempted to get myself some platinum! Not sure what size to start with or if it’s worth opening another can of worms & risk getting addicted to it! 😂

Everyone should own an ounce of platinum 🤗

2 hours ago, Mothballjim said:

What you your first ounce? Got any photos of it?

I got Platinum nobles:

On 10/09/2021 at 20:53, KevinFlynn said:

Invasion 😳

1183969344_Nobles1.thumb.jpg.c92d5a40ef931d913c82b6093b92560d.jpg

I got only one more

Platinum Noble (Isle of Man, Pobjoy Mint), 1 Ounce

but the arrangement was too good to not take a picture of both...

(more photos and an in depth fake analysis in this thread)

Be advised that Nobles are carrying a hell off a premium. I'm in love with the design and the ideas behind this coin.

If I were from the UK, I would try to get a Queen's Beast, if I could get one for a realistic price. If not then a Britannia (the down to earth choice).

Reflect on VAT, we had an exchange about VAT here recently. Maybe the prudest choice would be to look or ask in the trade section.

• 5 weeks later...

I never bought platina before but I want to get into it as an extra precious metal next to my gold and silver stack but what is bet to buy ? 

At Goldsilver.be I saw this nice Kookaburra 1/10 OZ coin for 128 euro (https://goldsilver.be/nl/home/4049-perth-mint-110-oz-platinum-kookaburra-2021-bu-15.html ) with a mintage of 15000 pieces or should I better go for a 1 ounce coin for around 1050-1100 euro with no limited mintage ?

I think the price difference is not so high in comparison with 1/10 golden coins, certainly not for a limited Kookaburra.

But I have no idea about the platina market so I have no Idea what to buy best ...

18 hours ago, Centauri167 said:

I never bought platina before but I want to get into it as an extra precious metal next to my gold and silver stack but what is bet to buy ? 

At Goldsilver.be I saw this nice Kookaburra 1/10 OZ coin for 128 euro (https://goldsilver.be/nl/home/4049-perth-mint-110-oz-platinum-kookaburra-2021-bu-15.html ) with a mintage of 15000 pieces or should I better go for a 1 ounce coin for around 1050-1100 euro with no limited mintage ?

I think the price difference is not so high in comparison with 1/10 golden coins, certainly not for a limited Kookaburra.

But I have no idea about the platina market so I have no Idea what to buy best ...

It looks like platinum is not so popular on the forum ...

24 minutes ago, Centauri167 said:

It looks like platinum is not so popular on the forum ...

Don't worry. The share of platinum-related posts here is, I would estimate, roughly at par with the share of platinum in the wider PM market...

I noticed the Kooka 1/10 oz but haven't made up my mind. I set my eyes on another 2-3 full ounces this winter; maybe I just throw in the Kooka.

23 minutes ago, xthomasx said:

Don't worry. The share of platinum-related posts here is, I would estimate, roughly at par with the share of platinum in the wider PM market...

I noticed the Kooka 1/10 oz but haven't made up my mind. I set my eyes on another 2-3 full ounces this winter; maybe I just throw in the Kooka.

I know nothing about platinum so maybe you can help me a little. Let's take the Kookaburra 1/10 coin. It has a mintage of 1500 what is low if you compare it with gold or silver but is there a collector's market in platina or is it more for stacking/ investment ?

Platinum is one of the odd metals, so opinions are not as well defined as with gold or silver.

My basics are:

Platinum is more of a commodity (like silver).

Platinum has not been imprinted as a monetary metal (unlike silver or gold).

Platinum has fallen from a high value (higher than gold), to a value lower than gold.

The usage of Platinum, mainly as a catalyst, went down, because it's mainly used with Diesel engines.

My conclusions:

Platinum is potentially undervalued at the moment and has an upwards potential.

Platinum is a speculative investment.

My thoughts on buying Platinum:

I'm using my usual considerations on price over spot.

Nationally minted or 'named' coins and bars are the more substantial investments.

Personally I would not buy under an ounce - it is relatively cheap, at least as opposed to gold, and a speculative profit needs a certain volume to make an impact.

My suggestions:

Buy if you want to diversify, but realize it is more for speculation than wealth conservation (i.e. a higher risk than gold).

Buy more for the metal content than for the form of the metal, i.e. do not key your decision to collectability

Mind VAT, buy from private if possible.

1 hour ago, KevinFlynn said:

Platinum is one of the odd metals, so opinions are not as well defined as with gold or silver.

My basics are:

Platinum is more of a commodity (like silver).

Platinum has not been imprinted as a monetary metal (unlike silver or gold).

Platinum has fallen from a high value (higher than gold), to a value lower than gold.

The usage of Platinum, mainly as a catalyst, went down, because it's mainly used with Diesel engines.

My conclusions:

Platinum is potentially undervalued at the moment and has an upwards potential.

Platinum is a speculative investment.

My thoughts on buying Platinum:

I'm using my usual considerations on price over spot.

Nationally minted or 'named' coins and bars are the more substantial investments.

Personally I would not buy under an ounce - it is relatively cheap, at least as opposed to gold, and a speculative profit needs a certain volume to make an impact.

My suggestions:

Buy if you want to diversify, but realize it is more for speculation than wealth conservation (i.e. a higher risk than gold).

Buy more for the metal content than for the form of the metal, i.e. do not key your decision to collectability

Mind VAT, buy from private if possible.

Thx a lot for your info.  Very interesting and useful. 

3 hours ago, Centauri167 said:

I know nothing about platinum so maybe you can help me a little. Let's take the Kookaburra 1/10 coin. It has a mintage of 1500 what is low if you compare it with gold or silver but is there a collector's market in platina or is it more for stacking/ investment ?

15.000 mintage sounds quite a lot for me for collectors' demands. I am not sure about investments. But I would not expect it to become scarce anytime soon.

27 minutes ago, xthomasx said:

15.000 mintage sounds quite a lot for me for collectors' demands. I am not sure about investments. But I would not expect it to become scarce anytime soon.

15.000 is not nothing indeed but like I said I have no idea of the platina collectors. 

Edited by Centauri167

I collect Pt, both as metal & as coins & within coins I am focussing much more on Proofs. 15k is a very high mintage so you can discount collector scarcity. That is more what we do w sovereigns in this country. 
It is very hard to make ££ on Pt. really the value is in the swing in £ on the metal markets but that is hard to time & there is always a premium that any seller needs to recover. Some nice pieces on here have not sold easily & even a high graded Krugerrand Pt from 2017 struggled. That reflected a limited number of collectors. 
I hope you do find some pieces to enjoy & keep. It’s a very attractive finish in real life & in 5 years time there may be more collectors. 
note. The 2021 1/4 Britannia proof sold out but only mintage of 150. 

thanks Clive 

On 08/11/2021 at 15:29, Centauri167 said:

There is a lovely 1/10oz plat kook available on the forum currently  😜

14 hours ago, cliveb13 said:

I collect Pt, both as metal & as coins & within coins I am focussing much more on Proofs. 15k is a very high mintage so you can discount collector scarcity. That is more what we do w sovereigns in this country. 
It is very hard to make ££ on Pt. really the value is in the swing in £ on the metal markets but that is hard to time & there is always a premium that any seller needs to recover. Some nice pieces on here have not sold easily & even a high graded Krugerrand Pt from 2017 struggled. That reflected a limited number of collectors. 
I hope you do find some pieces to enjoy & keep. It’s a very attractive finish in real life & in 5 years time there may be more collectors. 
note. The 2021 1/4 Britannia proof sold out but only mintage of 150. 

thanks Clive 

Thx for the insight.

• 3 weeks later...

Just worth checking the charts from time to time as a reminder of the volatility of commodities.
Not a welcome sight for some who just bought platinum 2 weeks ago.

1352251175_Screenshot2021-11-28at16_32_22.thumb.png.2ffa27361bfb347f5a0fe6b8228f7b06.png