• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Guess the grade

SVcollector

The reverse is lovely but the obverse has some wear. On this basis I would put it at MS63+

However it looks to have some nice lustre which the graders like so it might be upped a little on this basis.

PCGS would probably grade it higher than NGC.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

16 hours ago, Seasider said:

The 6 in the date looks a bit dodgy.

yes it is a little strange, but that is not unusual on sovs around the 50's and early 60's

There is a substantial die crack going through the 6 as well.

Hi guys 

The coin is graded MS63 from PCGS. My opinion is that the coin is MS64 minimum because of the fantastic luster it has and the details. 

The wear on the hair is not an actual wear but a die wear if you understand what i mean. Its the same as sovereigns issued in 40's.

Low relief 

www.svcollector.com

11 minutes ago, SVcollector said:

The wear on the hair is not an actual wear but a die wear if you understand what i mean

For that to happen there would have to be something "filling in" the cavity in the die surface.

Do you have a reference that explains this?

The hair on the "bun" is not showing the same wear but i think that is not as high on the releif as the main hair above the ear.

Sideburn is the highest part of the hair. look how sharp it is. Usually i dont need reference its just experience through the years. 

I can bet for that. :) 

Even in a 65 coin you can see the same hair. 

www.svcollector.com

21 minutes ago, SVcollector said:

It would be easier to show you , with a nice beer aside. I am not so good at describing my thoughts in English language. 

lol indeed. maybe I'll get to Greece sometime, I've always wanted to but never managed it😁

It's quite funny to see the opinions on grading in this thread, I laughed so hard at the AU55 and MS66 guesses 🤣

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

Archived